Thread: The Sailor's Home

Default The Sailor's Home

Hello Everyone

I don't know if this is a radical idea or not, but it occurs to me that the Sailor's Home, which should never have been demolished, because it was one of the architectural jewels of Liverpool, could be rebuilt, as were whole cities, such as Ypres in Belgium, after the World Wars.

I would also like to note that the galleries inside the Sailor's Home are almost a clone of the George Peabody Library in Baltimore, where I live and, which, thankfully, is still in existence.

Best regards

Chris George
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hello Everyone

I don't know if this is a radical idea or not, but it occurs to me that the Sailor's Home, which should never have been demolished, because it was one of the architectural jewels of Liverpool, could be rebuilt, as were whole cities, such as Ypres in Belgium, after the World Wars.

I would also like to note that the galleries inside the Sailor's Home are almost a clone of the George Peabody Library in Baltimore, where I live and, which, thankfully, is still in existence.

Best regards

Chris George
    Wouldn't that be wonderful if it could be done? One of those old pics of the advertising boards on Paradise Street takes me back a couple of years to just before the big PSD development began!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Wouldn't that be wonderful if it could be done? One of those old pics of the advertising boards on Paradise Street takes me back a couple of years to just before the big PSD development began!
    Hi Kev

I think the trick with any of these things, just as in the objective or being a writer, or anything, is never give up. In my War of 1812 work I have been involved with helping to save a piece of the Battlefield at North Point, fought between the British and Americans outside of Baltimore, September 12, 1814, the precurser of the bombardment of Fort McHenry that led to the writing of "The Star-Spangled Banner." We have just been successful, after a ten-year battle, in having the state of Maryland purchase 9 1/2 acres of land that had been slated for a supermarket, and it is also our hope now to reclaim other land that has been built on in the last fifty years.

All my best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Good on ya.

Thanks Bobby. By the way, if you get the chance to see it, I am featured as a talking head in the History Channel documentary "First Invasion: The War of 1812". The documentary mostly covers what happened here in Washington and Baltimore, with some mention of other events on the border with Canada and at New Orleans.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Where would we be without 'talking heads'. Lol. Any idea when it's being shown? History channel is one of my faves.

Default Fascinating Picture of the George Peabody Library

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hello Everyone

Best regards

Chris George
    When I found the picture of the George Peabody Library with Google, I thought it was a poor CGI of the well of the Sailors' Home. Amazing how similar the two are - the Peabody Library has stone, rather than iron pillars and has the advantage of being built on the square rather than the triangular shape dictated by the plot on which the Home was built. Another building of interest is the London Coal Exchange http://www.ribapix.com/image.php?i=13837&r=2&t=4&x=1 and again in the USA the Bradbury Building http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Colin Wilkinson's fine blog Streets of Liverpool featured interior shots of the Sailors Home in February. Here now are images of a pamphlet entitled The Liverpool Sailors' Home, Apprentices' Outfit List featuring the type of clothing and equipment which would have been required by apprentices on board the mercantile cadet school ship HMS Conway then moored in the Mersey. An engraving of the Sailors Home appears on the front of the leaflet. This pamphlet appears to date to the early decades of the twentieth century is owned by the Conwy Archive Service (Item reference: XM/1740/42) and is featured on Culturenet Cymru’s excellent "Gathering the Jewels" website.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist