Thread: Copperas Hill Sorting office

Question Copperas Hill Sorting office

Can anyone confirm that Copperas Hill Sorting office has a deep flight of stairs going down below the building to a tunnel that goes to Lime Street Station. That's how they shift the mail to the mail trains.

Yes, there is a tunnel to Lime Street station, by Platform 7/8 I think. Don't think it's used anymore though...

Yes there are tunnels below but I don't know where they go.If you look at the glass structure on the front of the building there's a chute which they used to put the mail down that went directly to the platform in Lime Street but it all goes by road these days.

Now where's me hi viz vest ()

MissInformed

i was reading on tom slemens website, a letter that someone had sent him.

"A SECRET TUNNEL?

HI TOM, IN THE EARLY SEVENTIES I WORKED AT THE SCALA CINEMA IN LIME STREET, AT THE BACK OF THE CINEMA THERE IS A SMALL CAR PARK THAT I WAS ALLOWED TO USE, DURING MY LUNCH HOUR I USED TO WASH MY CAR AND I REMEMBER A SET OF STEPS GOING DOWN TO ANOTHER LEVEL, I WENT DOWN THE STEPS ONE DAY AND AT THE BOTTOM ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE THERE WAS A WALL THAT LOOKED AS THOUGH A SECTION OF IT HAD BEEN BRICKED IN AS THE BRICKS LOOKED CLEANER THAN THE REST, I ASKED THE CINEMA MANAGER ABOUT THIS AND HE TOLD ME THIS WAS A PART OF A TUNNEL THAT WENT UNDER BOLTON STREET, THE CAR PARK IS STILL THERE NOW IN BOLTON STREET BETWEEN THE BACK OF THE CINEMA AND THE LOCK UP GARAGE WHICH ALSO WAS OWNED BY THE CINEMA CIRCUIT.
    I HOPE THIS HELPS,

KEN "

do you think this is to do with the tunnels??