Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALBERT DOCK, Jesse Hartley's masterpiece

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    JB (Waterways) can probably confirm this, but wasn't there a very serious idea of demolishing the Albert Dock in the 70s and replacing it with an office block and underground car park?!
    Harry Hyams of Centre Point in London fame - a shark who pulled out the contractors and left it empty with 24/7 security for years on end until protestors occupied the site and hung massive banners from its floors. The law was changed because of him.

In 1966 Harry Hyams wanted to demolish the Albert Dock, Canning, Salthouse etc, and build four 40 plus floor glass blocks with an underground car park. The docks would be the underground car park so no excavating. Thankfully the crank was turned down, as who knows what would have happened.

Then in the 1970s there was moves to demolish and build a Polytechniique and car park there too.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Harry Hyams of Centre Point in London fame - a shark who pulled out the contractors and left it empty with 24/7 security for years on end until protestors occupied the site and hung massive banners from its floors. The law was changed because of him.

In 1966 Harry Hyams wanted to demolish the Albert Dock, Canning, Salthouse etc, and build four 40 plus floor glass blocks with an underground car park. The docks would be the underground car park so no excavating. Thankfully the crank was turned down, as who knows what would have happened.

Then in the 1970s there was moves to demolish and build a Polytechniique and car park there too.
    Thanks.
    Nice to see my photies are of some use for your website btw. You're doing a cracking job

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    It was designed by A. G. Lyster and built c1897 to 1901.
    125 ft (38 metres) high.
    Constructed of 27 million bricks, it was claimed to be the largest single brick building in the world.
    It closed in 1980.
    The floors are only 7ft 2in (2.2 metres) high because the 77,000 casks were stored in single tiers to avoid breakage.

Source: "Liverpool", by Joseph Sharples.
    The low ceilings has precluded converting the building to apartments up to now. I read that the inside is iron framed and this means that every other alternative floor can be taken, with added strengthening, out to give the height. Not sure if it can though.

The UK building regs does not specify a minimum ceiling height. 7 foot 2 inches using wall lighting is fine. It is the hanging lights that are the problem in low ceilings, as I know when I smack my head on them in new houses.

A hint. If you use wall lights and insert downlighters, a room appears far higher. Well worth doing. Downlighters in suspended floors require a fireproof surround. Some downlighters now come complete with the fireproof surround.

how it once was?

The UK building regs does not specify a minimum ceiling height. 7 foot 2 inches using wall lighting is fine.
    Fair enough, but they might now be popular... Of course, if they did rip out every other floor, they could built mezzanine style apartments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Thanks.
    Nice to see my photies are of some use for your website btw. You're doing a cracking job
    Thanks Dave, all pics are welcome. There is a guy in Hamburg who will go out and take photos to order for me of Hamburg. The Dutch and Belgian helped in providing info in putting together the excavating water spaces page. The help has been phenomenal from all over the world.

Many were mumbling to themselves and I was the only one who did anything, which struck a chord. The only person who has ever criticised is that silly Martin fella on Skyscrapercity forum, which is full of half-wits anyway. The BBC were looking at the web site this morning.

Moves by Councillor Malcolm Kennedy, whose ward covers much of the docks World Heritage Site, and the Waterloo Quay Tenants Association are in motion to extend the World Heritage Site around Central Docks. This move is to prevent outrageous proposals to in-fill docks by developers who see fast money on generating land and implement large commercial or leisure complexes. Excavation of Trafalgar Dock is also one of the aims.

Trafalgar Dock is partially filled in. Initially it was a temporary measure.

I am working on an in-filled docks page. Pictures are very important. So to all, any old and new pictures of in-filled docks please direct me to them. It will be a before and now type of thing. Highlight what we have lost. The acreage lost in Liverpool and the Wirral is colossal. I am having difficulty gaining the acreage of each dock filled in to get a grand total - probably the equivalent, or more, of Venice.

I will also do one on the Dock Road and how it is not needed and just a hindrance to just about everything

The Waterloo Quay Tenants Association approached me for help in the new canal re-direct link, which is a clear ploy to set up dominoes to in-fill docks. Time is critical as they think Trafalgar will be lost forever, when Peel announce in a blaze of glory their proposal for Central Docks. Which no doubt will have Trafalgar Dock permanently filled in and possibly West Waterloo as well. Dissenting voices may not be heard as the glitz will blind them. Now is the time to act. Time is critical.

BTW, please will all object to the canal re-direction. Hit the link on the signature below.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Fair enough, but they might now be popular... Of course, if they did rip out every other floor, they could built mezzanine style apartments.
    The point is: Conversion is possible, as many were trying to say it was not.

how it once was?

scouserdave

Thanks Dave, all pics are welcome. There is a guy in Hamburg who will go out and take photos to order for me of Hamburg. The Dutch and Belgian helped in providing info in putting together the excavating water spaces page. The help has been phenomenal from all over the world.

Many were mumbling to themselves and I was the only one who did anything, which struck a chord. The only person who has ever criticised is that silly Martin fella on Skyscrapercity forum, which is full of half-wits anyway. The BBC were looking at the web site this morning.

Moves by Councillor Malcolm Kennedy, whose ward covers much of the docks World Heritage Site, and the Waterloo Quay Tenants Association are in motion to extend the World Heritage Site around Central Docks. This move is to prevent outrageous proposals to in-fill docks by developers who see fast money on generating land and implement large commercial or leisure complexes. Excavation of Trafalgar Dock is also one of the aims.

Trafalgar Dock is partially filled in. Initially it was a temporary measure.

I am working on an in-filled docks page. Pictures are very important. So to all, any old and new pictures of in-filled docks please direct me to them. It will be a before and now type of thing. Highlight what we have lost. The acreage lost in Liverpool and the Wirral is colossal. I am having difficulty gaining the acreage of each dock filled in to get a grand total - probably the equivalent, or more, of Venice.

I will also do one on the Dock Road and how it is not needed and just a hindrance to just about everything

The Waterloo Quay Tenants Association approached me for help in the new canal re-direct link, which is a clear ploy to set up dominoes to in-fill docks. Time is critical as they think Trafalgar will be lost forever, when Peel announce in a blaze of glory their proposal for Central Docks. Which no doubt will have Trafalgar Dock permanently filled in and possibly West Waterloo as well. Dissenting voices may not be heard as the glitz will blind them. Now is the time to act. Time is critical.

BTW, please will all object to the canal re-direction. Hit the link on the signature below.
    I think you're being a bit harsh about Martin. I may not always agree with his views, but he has always come across as a nice lad. Regarding skyscrapercity.com, the Scouse lads are just Gothicform's B1tches and they just don't know it. That's their problem.
    Last edited by scouserdave; 11-09-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12