Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Waters

Blog Entries

Default Liverpool Waters

Liverpool Waters developer Peel unveils latest proposals
    Jan 28 2010
    by Neil Hodgson, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL will get a vision of its future this weekend when property developer Peel stages a public consultation on its plans £5.5bn Liverpool Waters proposal.

The waterfront scheme is proposed to transform derelict dockland to the north of the city into a vibrant commercial and residential hub rivalling anywhere in the world.

Its exhibition near the city’s MetQuarter, at 9 Whitechapel from 10am-5pm tomorrow and Saturday, will feature the latest scale model of the draft project and exclusive new images, to encourage visitors to offer their views on Peel’s ambitious plans that could take up to 30 years to complete.

An outline planning application is currently being prepared for the scheme, which is the largest urban regeneration project in the UK.

It includes more than 150 acres of disused dockland, which it is planned will be redeveloped into a high quality, mixed-use new quarter of Liverpool where people can live, work and enjoy the spectacular waterfront.

Peel’s vision for Liverpool Waters includes creating a major sustainable community in this part of the city.

It is being designed to make a significant contribution to the economic resurgence of Liverpool and its wider area, with new and existing residents and increasing the number of visitors to the city.

Part of Liverpool Waters is planned to accommodate city centre expansion and it is also intended to stimulate regeneration in adjoining areas of the city centre, north Liverpool and the wider area.
    Report.......

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

That's good news! I hope they can find the finace to do it, as the banks still aren't lending? Though it says they're only submitting for outline planning consent at the moment? A case of watch this space then?

Blog Entries

Peel are a property company and the most money is made in dealing with land. All their proposals involve water spoace filling in Liverpool and Wirral Waters.

They are aiming to build mini Dockland in two locations. Should we take them serious? Merseyrail rapid-transit is essential to ensure the success of Liverpool Waters and Wirral Waters. They require direct Underground rail access to: Liverpool city centre, to each complex and to Liverpool John Lennon airport. There are no firm proposals to run rapid-transit rail into the two complexes. There has been no formal plan to run rapid-transit rail into the Liverpool Waters complex - we will see in a matter of days.

They proposed running trams to Hamilton Square for Wirral Waters. They cannot be taken seriously when they propose a mickey mouse transport system for this?

Post-Panamax for Seaforth? Freight terminal for the airport? None there.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Sounds a bit hicky without a solid transport infrastructure on the table. They'll need to convince the planners with a robust plan, before any permission is granted? It'll be interesting to see how it develops? As for building it, many developers are struggling at the moment to finance schemes such as these. I don't think that's their motivation though?

Blog Entries

Here's a thread of present day photos from the area: Great Float Birkenhead Docks Area
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Looks ugly as sin to me. I like older buildings not these glass monsters. City is looking horrible. Wont be able to see the Liver Building soon.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Sounds a bit hicky without a solid transport infrastructure on the table. They'll need to convince the planners with a robust plan, before any permission is granted? It'll be interesting to see how it develops? As for building it, many developers are struggling at the moment to finance schemes such as these. I don't think that's their motivation though?
    For London's Docklands to be successfully a new metro network was built first, the Docklands Light Railway. It services virtually a new town within a city, and gives rapid-transit connections to the rest of London and airports. It has over 30 stations, about half the number of Merseyrail. This rapid-transit metro was viewed as essential for the success of the project attracting investors to Docklands. The metro ensured the success of the London Docklands transforming the redundant docks into a world financial centre.

None is proposed for Wirral Waters, which tells me Peel are not serious. Wirral Waters is easily accessed by the disused Birkenhead Dock Branch, directly. I'm sure Peel will get water spaces filled in and sell off the land. Land by stealth.

The Birkenhead Dock Branch Line cuts right through Birkenhead centre. Such a deep cutting is a hindrance through a town centre. Precast concrete arches can be used to cover the line creating a 4 track wide tunnel. Provision for a station could be created in the tunnel for future use. The whole cutting can be backfilled using the now massive trench as a lucrative landfill site. The resulting land may be sold off and developments built upon. Then Birkenhead is rid of a deep ugly gorge through its centre, and the profit from Landfill and land creation set against the cost of re-instating the line.

Below: The Birkenhead Dock Branch Line is in the cutting seen bottom left - the green line:

Below: The yellow line is the existing Merseyrail line from Birkenhead central station.
    The green is Birkenhead Central station
    The red line is where Wirral Waters can be joined onto rapid-transit Merseyrail using the old Birkenhead Dock branch giving rapid access to Chester and Liverpool city centre and the airport.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Looks ugly as sin to me. I like older buildings not these glass monsters. City is looking horrible. Wont be able to see the Liver Building soon.
    Liverpool pioneered the glass monsters - which I like.

Below, Oriel Chambers, 1864, Water St. The world's first glass curtain walled building - the pioneer of them all.

Below: 16 Cook St, the second, 1866, note the full walled glass floor to ceiling:

how it once was?

Now they are nice.

The new stuff is horrid on the eye.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Now they are nice.

The new stuff is horrid on the eye.
    Some modern architecture is stunning. Spike you should get around a bit.

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Some modern architecture is stunning. Spike you should get around a bit.
    I do, and I dont like it...Its my choice and I think it looks ugly.

WW, I notice u didn't put a photo of that horrible mirrored building on the corner of old hall st as an example.

Spike, u're right about some of the newer architecture. Just look at the new hospital their building in garston, old one looks much better but I can imagine the facilities weren't the greatest.

Buildingwise, as it is that area of the wirral is a bit of an eyesore anyway and would hopefully benefit from this, although I still don't think it will ever happen... Oh and who cares if them from over the water can see the liver building

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    WW, I notice u didn't put a photo of that horrible mirrored building on the corner of old hall st as an example.

Spike, u're right about some of the newer architecture. Just look at the new hospital their building in garston, old one looks much better but I can imagine the facilities weren't the greatest.

Buildingwise, as it is that area of the wirral is a bit of an eyesore anyway and would hopefully benefit from this, although I still don't think it will ever happen... Oh and who cares if them from over the water can see the liver building
    There is hardly a decent building in the Wirral. Look at the view Liverpool has of the opposite bank.

To say all modern builds are bad is rather silly. They sort of anally retentive attitude that kept the city back. Like rejecting this world-class proposal from a locally funded company, which would have been built before the CC and jump started the regeneration of the south end.

The mirrored building was not built in 1864 and was not the first building of its type. I like that building.

how it once was?

Glad we never got that one its horrible.

Spike that's amazing that building !

I like both old and new, but new buildings have to be particularly stunning and not just run of the mill boring carbuncles.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast