Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going into Dingle underground station tmw!!!

Thumbs up

Wow, I learn something new everytime I come here..

Really good pictures

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    Brings back the past to me! Late 50's, the top area of the station was rented by the Brother International Corp. and was used as a distribution centre/warehouse for the distribution of their sewing machines. The machine parts were manufactured in Japan, then shipped over to Northern Island for assembly, they were then sent over to Liverpool in containers and stored at The Dingle Station (warehouse) a young irish chap (mechanic) checked them out and they were then distributed to all major cities in the UK.
    A total of four (repeat) four, people carried out this UK task, I was the truck driver, a female office worker, and one other chap as warehouseman, together with the mechanic were the sole staff! I will admit that I did'nt stay too long in this occupation!!!!
    Glad to see the place is still in use! Regards to All.
    That's interesting.
    Do you mean the booking office on Park Road?
    If so, that was demolished and replaced by a car showroom.
    It was later a garage, but has been unused for a couple of years now.

I wonder if anyone got into this tunnel via the bricked-up wall at Herculaneum dock? Between Dec 2003 and March 2004 I noticed some ropes had appeared and some barbed wire and bars had been mysteriously removed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dingle_Tunnel_Dec_2003.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dingle_Tunnel_March_2004.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	288  

Well observed! Not sure how someone would get to the tunnel from the outside now the bridge has gone - perhaps it was someone inside trying to get past the barrier? Hard to tell...

Still, how amazing does the stonework look in there at the entrance? That's incredible...

Blog Entries

Bringing Dingle station back into use is quite easy. If a gantry was erected from the tunnel mouth to the tracks below, how far is it to the adjacent ticky-tacky flats? The residents would object to such a structure of course - unless it is totally enclosed to muffle train sounds. A good architect could make a spledif looking gantry/tunnel emerging from the old tunnel mouth.

This is such a cheap and obvious thing to do, I wonder why it is not being done. This would add life and regenerate Dingle. The tunnel can go futher than Dingle in the future (the original proposal). Extend to the end of Lark Lane and onto Penny Lane, etc
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

St Michaels is close enough to Lark Lane. Surely Penny Lane would be better served by re-opening one of the stations on the other line from Mossley Hill, such as the one on Smithdown Road (Sefton Park Station??).

PhilipG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    St Michaels is close enough to Lark Lane. Surely Penny Lane would be better served by re-opening one of the stations on the other line from Mossley Hill, such as the one on Smithdown Road (Sefton Park Station??).
    Penny Lane and Rose Lane have track crossing them. However they are main line tracks and no way will they allow local stuff on those. An underground station can get right into the centre of a suburb, as in London, and makes all the difference - that is why some district centres of London are vibrant as the shops, Tube station and entertainment are all in one spot. The main line track crossing Penny Lane is quite a way from the main junction of Allerton Rd. St. Michael's is a hike from one end of Lark Lane and down to the station too.

The old Sefton Park Station is on the main line and no way would be brought back into use for local traffic. Lime St passenger and Seaforth goods take priority on that line. The station is not in a centre either.

Extending the Dingle tunnel could serve Lodge Lane and break out at Edge Hill, connecting the outer loop and the many tracks and tunnels running off junction - the Wapping and Waterloo. A station is proposed to be re-commissioned on the outer loop near LFCs new stadium.

The F1 track, the Dock Rd, should be blocked off running through the centre - traffic should go around the centre, not through it. Liverpool has enough tunnels and redundant track to be brought back into use and get people back onto the rails - rapid transit. If they can't go by car they will use the trains. No out of centre shopping malls, restrict cars and make sure the trains are comprehensive. Building multi-floor car parks on historic Dock quays shows the mentality of city towards transport.

Some cities drool at the rail transport infrastructure and water space legacy that Liverpool has. Unfortunately Liverpool hasn't much of a clue what to do with it. A little joined up thinking is all that is needed to integrate it all to make a vibrant city. It is all there, all is needed is some direction. Some vision.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

all is needed is some direction. Some vision.
    Ah, there's the problem!

ANY CAR CAN BE A BANGER ! spenny389's Avatar

Kev the garage name is Rossco engeniering and they can be contacted on 727 6868. Not sure if Nigel is the owner but I know he has worked there for a long time, they used to do a lot of rally and race car prep there. Nigel is a nice fella and you should have no problem sorting something out.
    ITS ONLY TIN AND PAINT SO RACE IT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spenny389 View Post
    Kev the garage name is Rossco engeniering and they can be contacted on 727 6868. Not sure if Nigel is the owner but I know he has worked there for a long time, they used to do a lot of rally and race car prep there. Nigel is a nice fella and you should have no problem sorting something out.
    I was down there this afternoon, many thanks mate.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I was down there this afternoon, many thanks mate.

Thought you had the ****s too much to go out.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Yes mate, they cleared up yesterday, today I've got the ********* runny nose and the ********************************** sore throat
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Well, it's flu season I suppose... Too much caffeine is messing with my bowels at the moment.

Anyway, yes, nice to see the tunnel is preserved, just a shame there are less readily available photos of it in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Yes mate, they cleared up yesterday, today I've got the ********* runny nose and the ********************************** sore throat
    You should be staying in bed demanding Mrs Kev to feed you.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast