Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my Liverpool ancestors!

Red face Looking for my Liverpool ancestors!

Hi everyone,

What a great site!!! I've only found it by chance whilst researching my family history, and wondered if any of your members might be able to help me.

I've discovered that my family, whose surname was Liedbetter (changing to Leadbetter in the 1800's), originated in the Speke and Halewood areas, and I've found online records showing my earliest ancestors John Rice, and John Goodall, going back to the late 1600's at Speke. If anyone knows how I could get info on these people before that, I'd be very grateful!!

Another question is to do with the reason I started all this in the first place. My Nan always used to tell us that we had part-Spanish ancestry, which came from a Spanish sea-captain marrying our ancestor's daughter. Her father was supposedly a groundsman for the Earl of Sefton, but I can't be sure that this wasn't just a romantic tale my Nan cooked-up for the grandkids!! But I have found a possible link with this story in the family of Robert Liedbetter, baptised in St Mary's RC Church, Woolton, who married a Helen b.1744, whose daughters were named Marie and Petoria, which don't sound like typically Liverpuddlian names to me!
    If anyone has any suggestions on how I can find out more about Helen and her parents, or workers at the Sefton estate, or even Spanish ships docking in Liverpool, it would be a big help.

Apologies for the length of this post, but I thought I should give as much info as possible. But even if you can't help, I hope you've found it an interesting story!!

Best wishes,
    Anna

Hello Anna

Welcome to the site -- glad you are enjoying your time here so far. Good luck in your quest to get information on your family history. You might check out the following site which has information on the graves at Speke and other information about the parish records:

http://speke.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/index.html

Incidentally, if you don't know it, birth, marriage, and death records before 1837 in England are only available through parish records. It was then that civil registration was introduced in England and Wales on July 1, 1837, which meant that from then on records were centrally kept at Somerset House and more recently St. Catherine's House in London.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 11-16-2006 at 03:38 PM.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your message!
    I've left a post in the Speke site's Guestbook after spotting lots of Leadbetter gravestones at All Saints Church.
    I knew about the Parish records for BMD's before 1837, but as I live in Cornwall, visiting to check them myself would be a bit of a problem. Hoping there may be some local genealogists or historians reading this thread who may be willing to help!!
    Thanks again,
    Anna

Welcome
    You could try
    http://genchatfriends.proboards39.com/index.cgi

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...081&board=21.0

The rootschat page is for Lancashire as Liverpool was in Lancashire so looking for old info you will always have to look at Lancs pages

You could try and find ancestors on
    http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

See how you get on there are a number of people who have an interest in family history or live near / have links with Speke/Halewood.

I think info gets harder to find before 1600 as you are having to deal with parish records and not census record which started later.

Hope this helps John

There was a lot of info on a thread called Family tree in the The Lounge, double click on the blue The Lounge and you will find topics Family tree is in there
    Last edited by john; 11-16-2006 at 07:25 PM.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Pixie, where abouts in Cornwall are you? I have an old girlfriend that lives in St. Mabyn.

Hi John,

I've left a post in Merseyside Forum, which seems to fit in with their discussions, and am about to register with rootschat too!! Big thank you's for taking the time to post those links for me - much appreciated!!

BobbyMac - St Mabyn's up near Wadebridge on the edge of Bodmin Moor, whereas I live down near Land's End. Both are a long way from Liverpool and Canada!!!

Best wishes,
    Anna

Hi PixieAnna, let me know how you get on, I am on those sites so I will watch out for your postings.

By the way I have family in St Ives and St Hilary near Marazion.

Hi John!

What a pleasure it is to find nice helpful people on this site! I wasn't sure what kind of reception my post would get, so it's reassuring to find that the legendary Scouse friendly nature is not a myth!!
    I'm amazed that you have family connections in this area - it's a very small world! Mounts Bay and Marazion are lovely - I have a great view of both whenever I drive to Tesco's, a definite plus when faced with the dreaded shopping trip!!

Will let you know how I get on with the elusive ancestors.
    Anna
    P.S. Where is your quote from? It's very apt!!

Hi Pixieanna,
    You will find helpful and friendly people on most sites but especailly Yo Liverpool.

I have been to Tesco many a time as my family who live in St Hilarys use to live in Penzance just before you get to the station, I know that part of the country well.

The quote is from Bob Marley Buffalo Soldiers
    Cheers John

Hi John,

What a twit!! After all the reggae I've listened to over the years, I should have recognised the quote!!

I'm often in Penzance having lived down here for years, but I don't know St Hilary area that well - with beaches like ours down this end, I don't tend to go much further afield!

Pixie

Default Liverpool Genealogy

Hi Anna
    Some of the people on this site have been wonderful, even taking photos of streets where my ancestors lived.
    Another truly great site full of helpful folk is:
    www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk

Register on their forum and just fire away--you will be amazed at their help.

Rob in Mexico

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAnna View Post
    Hi John,

I've left a post in Merseyside Forum, which seems to fit in with their discussions, and am about to register with rootschat too!! Big thank you's for taking the time to post those links for me - much appreciated!!

BobbyMac - St Mabyn's up near Wadebridge on the edge of Bodmin Moor, whereas I live down near Land's End. Both are a long way from Liverpool and Canada!!!

Best wishes,
    Anna
    Hi PixieAnna, my sister in law, Andrea is one of the poorer members of the Wadebridge Italian Forte family. She's married to my baby brother Ken. They've just moved down to West Park, Plymouth to be near to her Mum and Dad. They met up in the RAF. Our Ken is still commuting up to RAF Wittering , Lincolnshire and staying there five days a week, but will be leaving in January. I alway visit the Wadebridge Gallery whenever we're down there. I've bought a few watercolours from the late Sybil Mullen Glover from there. A fantastic artist.

I acctually know a family of leadbetters they now live in the bellevale area of the city could be coincidence

good luck in your quest

i have a friend named leadbetter from speke(don`t like giving living names out on threads)He has already told me that he thinks his family "leadbetter" are as far as he knows,the oldest family in Speke....would you like me to get in touch with him for you????.....allan

Steven

Maybe I can help ? E-mail me. I can't discuss on open forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast