Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Everton Valley

the little old lady shopkeeper was Mrs Norris, as posted later.

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Georgie Porgie --I was replying to a query s to what was on Everton Valley.
    Those items you mention weren't on Everton Valley.

The Flats you mention up St Domingo Road were Tommy White's (Sir Thomas White's ) flats.
    The only Washhouse I know about was right along near the "S" bend right along on Netherfield Road.
    I am unsure of what is Albion House --was this "Victoria Settlements" on Nethherfield Road ? (That had an open air footy pitch on top).

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

To give you an idea of the size of the houses on EV. -- If we take our house on Everton Valley --it had 3 cellar rooms (uninhabited - All painted limewash white)--One was used as a bike spare parts / frames area and bike repair area --number two had a big stone wash tub in it where 50+ years before servants would have done the house wash--number three had the coal stored in it which came down a shute from the large back yard --ground floor had a large vestibule --a big hallway -- 3 living / parlour rooms --a servants small kitchen and the house's main kitchen plus a large eating room with black grated fire (ovens either side)..up on first floor was main bathroom --a small tiny bedroom --plus 5 other fairsized bedrooms --econd floor had one bedroom and a small water tank room --3rd floor had just an attic bedroom and a long storage cupboard where giant old paintings in frames were stored.
    They sure built big houses in Victorian times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post

Georgie Porgie --I was replying to a query s to what was on Everton Valley.
    Those items you mention weren't on Everton Valley.

The Flats you mention up St Domingo Road were Tommy White's (Sir Thomas White's ) flats.
    The only Washhouse I know about was right along near the "S" bend right along on Netherfield Road.
    I am unsure of what is Albion House --was this "Victoria Settlements" on Nethherfield Road ? (That had an open air footy pitch on top).
    The pub in georges pic is the merebank on heyworth st opposite st georges church
    the fred robinson bagwash was on st domingo rd next to albion house boys club.....Petton st flats & maisonettes were opposite them
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

My apologies Tom,I got it wrong....too many late nights on here maybe.

How long have you lived around there Mandy?

Those flats had a name and I can't remember that name.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Ok Tom

reread your post not too sure you have Yardy and Melrose surgery correct? I remember them having the surgery on the same side as the old lycium thearter further up.

I don't remember the surgery ever being on the side bank stood on the corner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    My apologies Tom,I got it wrong....too many late nights on here maybe.

How long have you lived around there Mandy?

Those flats had a name and I can't remember that name.
    I lived in Petton Street 1985 -2002 & Torr Street before that

I have seen an old photo of Petton Street where the houses were named Delia Cottages ...but they didn't look much like cottages to me
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

he moved his surgery from E.V. to Westminster Road near the baths somewhere
    Kirkdale health center,which was not far from Wessy Road.

He didn't last long after that move and when me Ma told he'd snuffed it we then had to change doctors to nearer home ie Cantril Farm.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

I lived in Petton Street 1985 -2002 & Torr Street before that
    And if you knew then what you know now...you'd have gone and photographed the area before the clearence and after.

We moved out about 68/69?

Doctors Surgery was 100% certain on the Bank side Georgie...

we played football on the flat ground at bottom of Mark Street.
    Street football matches were arranged and played there , (Devonshire Place team used to come down , plus others).
    We had a wide pitch as the two "wings " alone were full wide cobbled streets, this allowed our two good dribbling wingers to get past the defence and cross for our two big centre forwards (me incl) to crash in for headers.
    One street team we played had a proper fenced in purpose built ground , marked out , down along Stanley Road towards Boundary Street.
    We played matches every week - alternating venues with different teams , except Devvie Place didn't have a "home" pitch.
    One Team played on the waste ground at Aughton Street (Off Netherfield Rd) which later became the site of a full sports centre.
    It was a sad day when they built pensioners flats on stilts at bottom of Mark Street, on "our" pitch.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Georgie my parents had "Young" Dr Yardumium well into the 90's mate ....my Dad's death around then was overseen by him from the surgery on Westminster Road..

That's one big house you lived in Tom - great recollections and memories there, a great post.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Tram tracks ran down Everton Valley , even after trams had long finished and the road was tarmacced. It was possible , (and I once had the misfortune), to get your thin bike wheel stuck in a tramline as you hurtled down the Valley to the main junction at the bottom . Unfortunately the lines gently bent left to go along towards Scotland Road and town , and if you didn't free your tyre in time , you crashed over as the lines bent. Very painful , and potentially very dangerous falling amongst heavy traffic, buses, lorries,etc.

Time to dig out my Everton Valley pics to see if we can see Tom on his ass at the bottom or George on his way to the docs. Scrollbar required at the foot of the post to see full pictures which are all LRO.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wasn't my stomping ground though,Ged...only when I was poorly.

Those houses Tom is on about are in the last pic just above the lorries.

Made this pic a bit better?

A PIECE OF HISTORY - I RECOMMEND INTRODUCING THESE BACK TODAY -
    Looking upwards back up Everton Valley ( from near the old Post Office) ---
    To the left of the Derby Arms pub are 2 shops (a sweetshop and a travel agents)...then a back street, and then the Black Bull pub.
    Just round the corner in the back street , was the simplest men's urinal toilet I have ever seen .
    It was just 3x pieces of slate (say 2 to 3 inches thick and 7 foot high )...there was a long factory wall (which i think may have been
    Rainford's Demolition back wall)---and the street urinal toilet used that wall as its back wall,
    and coming off it was one piece of slate (forming a dead end inside ) , which then joined the long front piece of slate at right angles,
    the third piece then provided a shorter side to the first side, which allowed a gap "entrance" between the slate and the wall of
    about a yard width.
    Inside the front wall was a brown gutter drain in the floor, so men could wee on the front slate and it ran down into
    the sloping gutter drain in the ground and then away down a hole.....
    I think the whole thing was open to the elements, especially the rain ...which keptthe whole place "washed" and clean ...
    It was a life saver for men coming along with beer in them or just desperate to go...
    No sit down of course...just a urinal...
    How on occasions through my life as more and more councils close toilet blocks / facilities I wish these were dotted around the country..
    It did its job simply, with modesty maintained for all, and with an absolute minimum of cost maintenance.
    If anybody with Council clout is reading this, please give it some thought...
    A very welcome public facility at practically No cost after the cheap set up cost...
    you KNOW it makes sense ....?:-))...

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

GEORGIE...
    You mentioned Yardumium died soon after moving to the new Wessie Road surgery from the closed Everton Valley surgery.
    I know for a fact that Young Yardumium was there in 1996, so you must be referring to Old Yardumium.
    They were Father and son Doctors. both served in Everton Valley surgery..cheers, Tomk.

The red brick build next door but one from the pub up is or was the Lyra or Lydol? Theater at one time

"Lyric"???
    If a man speaks in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong ?

The men`s toilet was the norm in those days on the dock road, and there was one in Sandhjlls Lane by the entrance to the canal
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

How's this for the simplest of street bogs.

This is William Moult Street (Between Scottie and Greaty) in 1965.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast