Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Everton Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard68 View Post
    Hello George Thanks for the Pic. now there is an argument with the inlaws and i was wondering if you can settle it On the left of the Derby Arms a bit further down on the picture is that another pub if so what was it called cheers mate Gerard
    I remember that pub was an Ind Coopes pub, I think but am not certain it was called the Swan. It used to have cream and brown tilles on the front. It was on the corner of a lane, which formed the other side of the old theatre mentioned on Everton Valley.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard68 View Post
    Hello George Thanks for the Pic. now there is an argument with the inlaws and i was wondering if you can settle it On the left of the Derby Arms a bit further down on the picture is that another pub if so what was it called cheers mate Gerard
    hi Gerard,do you mean the building on the left of the photo?....if so it was the post office
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Hiya Mandy. No, on the photo on page 1 of this thread, there is a pub either at the bottom of Kirkdale Vale or Royal Street on Walton Road itself. It's not in the pub on every corner book though.

However, there is some info on the other buildings in that photo. The Derby Arms had carved, glazed pillars on its frontage, road improvements being responsible for its demolition. In 1892 the registered owner of it was the Earl of Derby who was in seat at Knowsley Hall.

The lyric super cinema was only a cinema between 1922 and 1925, prior to this it was the lyric theatre. In 1925 it re-opened as a theatre again only to close down in 1932.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hiya Mandy. No, on the photo on page 1 of this thread, there is a pub either at the bottom of Kirkdale Vale or Royal Street on Walton Road itself. It's not in the pub on every corner book though.

oh yes I can see it now

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Blog Entries

where was NEMS ,wasn't that somewhere near Walton Rd/Royal Street?

Blog Entries

a photo of NEMS Walton Rd
    http://www.brianepstein.com/brian.html

Blog Entries

found it!!!! ........The Black Bull 4-6 Walton Rd ,Alvina Lane

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post

a photo of NEMS Walton Rd
    http://www.brianepstein.com/brian.html
    Glad to see this photograph, Mandy. I bought a copy of the Beatles' LP Help! there in 1965. It was the first long-playing album I ever bought. Yes kiddies that's what "LP" stands for.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Hi,...I can give you 100% information on Everton Vallety --As I lived slap bang in the middle of the section you wanted to know about.
    Lets start by walking down Everton Valley in the 1960's ..
    We start at Lower Breck Road on the left pvement ..To our left is Major Lester School (now Hope School) ...then a little corner church at bottom of Sherlock Street ...then Notre Dame Collegiate Girls Catholic School (complete with Nuns) ...We reach a church playground where the Scouts and Cubs used to meet in the Hall across it ..We cross St Domingo Road and there is the Valley Pub (done up like a mock Tudor building)...just past it is the sweet shop run by a little old white haired lady (name escapes me at mo) ...outside her shop are the main bus stops for (27 -Sheil Road inner circle heading down Town ...44 from Kirkby ....17 from Broadway )...then we come to Numbers 50 to 12 Houses in Everton Valley ...these were big 3 floored sometimes 4 floored Victoriamn houses ...with huge yards behind them and gardens in front of them with steps ...Numbers 26-36-46 were Double fronted ,and so much bigger than the others ...36 was used as Doctors Surgeries by Drs Yardumium and Melrose ...Outside No 26 was the bus stop for the 33 and 34 bus to Seaforth...The houses ended at No 12 , because a German Parachute mine or mines took away the first 5 houses leaving a wasteland of rubble that the Midland Bank was built on , right on the corner of Netherfield Road...
    Crossing over and walking up the Valley ..we start with a tiled pub at the bottom ....as we walk up a facade of just front walls incl The Lyceum Theatre hit by a German parachute mine and destroyed in the Blitz....then we come to a Rainfords gate a long wall and the Top Rainfords gate ...Their big tipper tipper wagons brought old bricks from demolition areas to be crushed in machines ...because the land inside the top fgate was 20 foot higher than the their land further back the trucks could drive in and empty straight into the top of the crushers standing on the lower land ...(I was told A Hartleys jam factory was here but was bombed and burned out in the war) ....
    just up from the Top gate was the main bus route for 26, 44, 17, 33 + 34 buses going out of town ....then on the corner was Counsellor Norris's sweet shop...we cross Kirkdale Vale and the left side was houses ...(I am vague on this section --but of note was the very small removal van operated by a man (in 25 E.V. I think) which all the locals used to move furniture around the town....
    We reach Royal Street and Walton Lane.....EV in the 60's ...
    A fantastic place to live and spend my teens in ...

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpo...ia/1516945712/

The Tiled Walkers pub with the old Post Office facing it , at the bottom of Everton Valley. -- (and as it is now)..

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ed=0CCgQ9QEwBA

36 was used as Doctors Surgeries by Drs Yardumium and Melrose
    Yardy wasmy Doc,and used to examine me from top to bottom way back then,not like todays doctors....prescription is the normfor todays doctors and thats that unless they booked you intothe hospitalfor a checkup.

Willnever forget sitting there in a cellar waiting and waiting tohear the old clanger bell ringing fornext patient.
    When you entered the cellar you always had to ask "Who's next for Yardy".

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The Tiled Walkers pub with the old Post Office facing it , at the bottom of Everton Valley. -- (and as it is now).
    Think it was called The Derby Arms??

It was the Derby Arms and the Lyceum Tom talks of was actually the Lyric.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

A correction to my long post above .
    The shop coming DOWN E.V. on the LEFT side of E.V. was Norris's ...(near St Domingo Road junction).

The shop on the Left going UP E.V. was Counsellor Gilligans = (on the corner of Kirkdale Vale).

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Ged -- you are correct . The Derby Arms !! -- how could I forget that -I played darts there on many nights a week whilst having a pint and called in to the small room every Saturday for a drink after going to the Match (both LFC+ EFC) and to get the footy results to check my Pools Coupon by.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

georgie porgie -- In the Doctor's Surgery -- we used to slide along the long benches zig zagging to to reach the front in my time ...and you eventually reached the front near Dr. Melrose's office ..then look to see whose bell had clinked ...Yardy's or Melrose's, so as to go in to your own Doctor.
    My Mother + Father first had "Old " Dr Yardumium then "Young" Dr Yardumium , even when he moved his surgery from E.V. to Westminster Road near the baths somewhere, and they had left EV to live about 10 miles away and had to catch 2 buses and a long walk from the bottomn of EV to surgery !! If they were ill when they set off they were cured by the time they got to the surgery.
    Last edited by TomK; 03-06-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: the word colour appeared

Hi,...I can give you 100% information on Everton Vallety
    Not exactly a precise landmarking of the area as certain things have been left out,Tom.

St Georges School,The Flats off Beacon Lane also viewable on St Domingo itself,The Washhouse,The shops on same side as the washouse further down,these shops had houses on top,the Albion house footy enclosure,ect,ect

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

(done up like a mock Tudor building)...just past it is the sweet shop run by a little old white haired lady (name escapes me at mo)
    Are you sure it wasn't a chemist?

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

http://media.photobucket.com/image/h...HeyworthSt.jpg

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast