Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: St Luke?s Church [The Bombed Out Church]

MariaC

I think it's haunted.

theninesisters

They won't be opening up the tower that's for sure - you go up the spiral staircase and then the opening that used to be the ringing chamber is still there - but the floor ain't and you'll end up flying down about 30ft to the ground level I'll have to see if LCC want a website doing on the church, it has the 1st ever cast iron bell frame still up there in the world!!

I think that is St Luke's on the left of this drawing. It's by Jerzy Faczynski, a Polish immigrant to Liverpool who I think trained as an architect. There was a sale of his work in Bonhams in Chester last year, I think this little drawing is one of the crumbs from the table of that sale - there were a few of them floating around on ebay. I've got a few more I can post here, of various Liverpool scenes, but not sure which is the right thread for them.

MariaC

Is that an etching ?

Quote Originally Posted by MariaC View Post
    Is that an etching ?
    It's mainly pencil, with I think a bit of black ink also in places (some of the "clouds"), all on a sort of tracing paper. I've had them mounted with white paper behind, so you can't tell they are drawn on tracing paper - sorry it's probably not called tracing paper but that's what it's like. I imagine he sketched them whilst out and about, and then added ink later, but I could be wrong.

MariaC

Thank you

I was talking to a couple of guys last week who saved St Lukes from the bulldozers in the 80's. It wouldn't have been the first time the City Council had finished what the Nazi's started.

It's unbelievable to think that even St. George's Hall faced possible demolition under the diickheads that have led our city in the past. Imagine that, even Charlie boy mentioned it the other day, it was proposed the last time he was here.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    No. St. Lukes stays as it is. Burnt out.
    I agree, never a cafe or similar in a war monument, for respect to the memory.

I do not know the actual situation about S. Lukes, and maybe I am confused. Coz I think that its important a restauration and to do visit from schools and others people who like do it, to know the history about it.

Maybe a museum its too much, but maybe its possible a small house near St. Lukes with information, olds photos, etc.

Sorry coz I do not know the actual situtation about it!

What is St. Lukes for the Liverulians? Is it important in his history or in his culture?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    It's unbelievable to think that even St. George's Hall faced possible demolition under the diickheads that have led our city in the past. Imagine that, even Charlie boy mentioned it the other day, it was proposed the last time he was here.
    I don't know about Prince Charles saying anything about that, but if he did, he's been misled (and I suppose it makes a good soundbite).
    St George's Hall has been mothballed and closed from time to time, but demolition has never been suggested.
    (I've been in Liverpool for nearly 40 years, and I would have heard something!).
    This 'urban myth' has probably come about by people getting mixed up with the North Western Hotel over the road.
    That was certainly threatened with demolition.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by The Gardens View Post
    I was talking to a couple of guys last week who saved St Lukes from the bulldozers in the 80's. It wouldn't have been the first time the City Council had finished what the Nazi's started.

Like St George's Hall, I've never heard of any threats to demolish St Luke's in the 1980s.
    In the 1950s and 1960s demolition was a possibility, before it was decided that the building could be made secure quite easily.
    The simple reason why there's no point in demolishing St Luke's is the covenant on the site that prevents it from being used for anything but a church.
    It has also come to be regarded as a war memorial.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 04-26-2007 at 06:11 AM.

Hiya Phil. Yes it seems absurd to me that two buildings of such great importance could ever be talked about in terms of not being here anymore, however, the urban myth must have gotten as far as BBC Radio Merseyside too then because Linda McDermott was reporting it on monday. Also the chaps at Belvedere who gave Paul and I their card (they're currently involved in restoring the Florrie) may have some more information on the St. Lukes issue, apparently it was due to safety issues so nothing to do with building something else on the site as such. In case anyone wants it the Belvedere (whose website doesn't seem to be working) can be reached on 0151 726 8144. The lads are quite proud of what they do and therefore aren't shy about it so I know they wouldn't mind me giving the number out as they were giving their card out.

By complete coincidence, these two lads have phoned me today to organise a meet up and arrange a further screening of Gardens of Stone, this time, in the Beresford Club Dingle.

Apparently they have videos of the time they were active in saving St. Lukes and Adrian Henri and Mike McCartney were also involved in it. The lads will try to get on here sometime soon. The labour exchange building in Leece St being demolished was part of a road widening scheme (where have we come across that before) which was to also see St. Lukes go (so keeping the rule of nothing else being 'built' there)

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    By complete coincidence, these two lads have phoned me today to organise a meet up and arrange a further screening of Gardens of Stone, this time, in the Beresford Club Dingle.

Apparently they have videos of the time they were active in saving St. Lukes and Adrian Henri and Mike McCartney were also involved in it. The lads will try to get on here sometime soon. The labour exchange building in Leece St being demolished was part of a road widening scheme (where have we come across that before) which was to also see St. Lukes go (so keeping the rule of nothing else being 'built' there)
    I remember that road scheme.
    Weren't they supposed to be extending Russell Street through to Leece Street?
    I remember finding out where Russell Street was.
    It's the continuation of Clarence Street.

I wasn't aware that St Luke's was involved.
    They kept that bit quiet!

Some old Russell st flats.

Yes, it runs from Seymour street to Clarence street.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	russel st flats 2.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	2460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	russel st flats 3.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	2461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	russel st flats 4.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	2462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	russell st flats.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	2463  

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast