Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: St Luke?s Church [The Bombed Out Church]

Blog Entries

Nov 29 2008 by Mark Johnson, Liverpool Daily Post

A LIVERPOOL based community group unveiled a makeover at the city centre?s St Luke?s Church.

Urban Strawberry Lunch (USL), which is dedicated to the upkeep of the war-torn building, carried out the work after the church scooped ?1,800 of goods and services.

The funding came from B&Q?s One Planet Living Awards, which aims to help reduce the ecological footprint and enhance the local community.

In the late evening of Monday May 5 1941 the church at the corner of Leece Street and Berry street was hit by an incendiary bomb during the blitz.

But the church stood and represents a vital chapter in city's history and holds a special place in the hearts of Liverpudlians.

Scores turned out to see the transformation, including Riverside MP Louise Ellman.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL?S bombed-out church is being turned into a cinema. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thats interesting.. but, doesn't seem large enough to accomodate the people ... Sort of strange to show pics in a reverant place.. My thoughts are that Williamson square would probably be a better choice ... hemmm..

Merry Christmas

ps,, Isn't St.Lukes suppose to be haunted?

Blog Entries

BTW, the clock in the church was taken from the Toxteth Dock hydraulic station in the 1970s, when they cleaned up the church stone, which was bible black. The dock had recently closed down and it was thought all the dock buildings would be demolished. They were later put under preservation orders.

The original clock was burnt out and the clock hands stuck at 5:25, the time the fire from the bombing reached the clock. The face had gone but the hands still there. They should have left the old clock alone at 5:25. I was astounded that anyone could take the old clock away - replacing it was a real dumb thing to do.

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Default Roofless

Not a very good day for a service in there!
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

The original clock was burnt out and the clock hands stuck at 5:25, the time the fire from the bombing reached the clock. The face had gone but the hands still there. They should have left the old clock alone at 5:25. I was astounded that anyone could take the old clock away - replacing it was a real dumb thing to do.
    Not sure where you got that information from - I have a photograph from a lady who lived in Bold Place. She said that between Midnight and 3:30am, St Luke's was given a direct hit. The photo's show the clock stopped at 3:36am - which may have been over an hour after the bomb was dropped - mainly because of the fire taking hold and burning through the tower at a slow pace. The only part of the tower that remained (internally) was the steel bell frame, everything else including the original clock and movement crashed to the ground.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Not sure where you got that information from - I have a photograph from a lady who lived in Bold Place. She said that between Midnight and 3:30am, St Luke's was given a direct hit. The photo's show the clock stopped at 3:36am - which may have been over an hour after the bomb was dropped - mainly because of the fire taking hold and burning through the tower at a slow pace. The only part of the tower that remained (internally) was the steel bell frame, everything else including the original clock and movement crashed to the ground.
    I got the information by looking at the clock. I'm pretty sure it was 5:25. It may have been different depending on the face.

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567