YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: From the top of the Anglican Cathedral ?

  1. #1
    Martin hmtmaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stoneycroft / Old Swan
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default From the top of the Anglican Cathedral ?

    A dear Aunty sadly passed away very recently, among her things, her son found this.
    We take it, it's on the top of the Cathedral.
    "Is that rivet, all thats holding us up here"


    ADVERTISING


    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0001a.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	12528  
    Started the Old Swan Website:

    http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

  2. #2
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Aye, they're fixing the giant iron rack which the bells sit on. This iron frame is invisible to all in the Cathedral apart from the bell ringers. Cracking picture that.

    Picture here of the ringing room:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_0293.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	349.6 KB 
ID:	12531

  3. #3
    Senior Member RonnieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Huyton
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I worked as a labourer on the Anglican Cathedral in 1978 and 1979. They were hurrying to get in finished for the official opening in 1978. In 1979 I was back laying paving stones on the roadway to the north end. The paving stones came from the old platform of Exchange Station and lay under ashphalt for decades, so they were in perfect condition. Some of them were six by four foot and five or six inches thick.

  4. #4
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    A dear Aunty sadly passed away very recently, among her things, her son found this.
    We take it, it's on the top of the Cathedral.
    "Is that rivet, all thats holding us up here"
    amazing pic
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  5. #5
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    A chance to have a nose 'after hours' at the top of the Cathedral and also to walk around the floor of the bell chamber:

    http://www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk...18310/429.aspx

  6. #6
    Senior Member Waterways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,924
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieW View Post
    I worked as a labourer on the Anglican Cathedral in 1978 and 1979. They were hurrying to get in finished for the official opening in 1978. In 1979 I was back laying paving stones on the roadway to the north end. The paving stones came from the old platform of Exchange Station and lay under ashphalt for decades, so they were in perfect condition. Some of them were six by four foot and five or six inches thick.
    EXchange station closed only in the 1970s. The stones were covered in asphalt on the Exchange platform?
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

    Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?


    Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

    Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

  7. #7
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    A chance to have a nose 'after hours' at the top of the Cathedral and also to walk around the floor of the bell chamber:

    http://www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk...18310/429.aspx
    Thanks, I deffo wanna do it again but possibly nearer the summer

  8. #8
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I need to go back and take some more footage of the bells in action. That's the only thing the public never get to see. On the very rare occasions, a clapper has shot out of a bell and punched a large hole through the lift door!

  9. #9
    Senior Member burkhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, of course
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    The bells were ringing from about 10am yesterday morning until around 2pm - I work near to the Cathdral and after an hour or so they were really getting on me nerves!

    I remember going to the top of the Cathedral years and years ago - amazing views.

  10. #10
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I need to go back and take some more footage of the bells in action. That's the only thing the public never get to see. On the very rare occasions, a clapper has shot out of a bell and punched a large hole through the lift door!
    Cad, is it true that [I may have asked this a few years ago] there is a hole above the arched roof that you can look down from above down into then cathedral? I seem to remember being escorted when I was a kid and we walked over the roof.
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  11. #11
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    The bells were ringing from about 10am yesterday morning until around 2pm - I work near to the Cathdral and after an hour or so they were really getting on me nerves!

    I remember going to the top of the Cathedral years and years ago - amazing views.
    They were ringing a full peal (4 hours 24 mins!) arranged to mark the 50th anniversary of the very day that the Liverpool University Society of Change Ringers was formed in Liverpool and also as a thanksgiving for the life of Dennis Jones, former Ringing Master of the Cathedral, whose funeral was the previous day.

  12. #12
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Cad, is it true that [I may have asked this a few years ago] there is a hole above the arched roof that you can look down from above down into then cathedral? I seem to remember being escorted when I was a kid and we walked over the roof.
    Fraid not. What you have is the 1st lift that will go as far as the base of the tower - just by the corona gallery. Then either walking or taking the lift will take you in to the ringing chamber. If you mean:

    http://www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk...xperience.aspx

    (how to change a light bulb)

    But if you mean the lights directly under the tower high up then you have to get to them from the ringing chamber floor.

    The two pictures below will give you the size of this circle - Great George (14 ton) sitting on the floor of the Cathedral and being lifted up through this space. The diameter of Great George is about 10ft wide.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A011272.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	13155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A011273.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	13156

  13. #13
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Interesting pic's Cad!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Davec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    What a sight that second one is...and hidden away. It always amazes me the amount of time, effort and expense that goes into some largely out of sight parts of buildings.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!