YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 50

Thread: Princes Park

  1. #1
    Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Princes Park

    When was the last time any cash was spent on this grand old park?


    ADVERTISING




    1979 I think was when the Prinnie Park Assoc installed a short-lived fountain on the lake.

    Then there's the rejigged play area (which like all of the re-jigged play areas looks fairly nasty and now clashes with the rest of the park).

    Other than that, nothing?

    Anyone remember the original main avenue of trees which mostly disappeared in the late 70's? Was it the storm or was it Dutch Elm?

    Best view in Prinnie? The sight of Mossley Hill Chuch in the distance rising from a seemingly forested hill. Magical.

  2. #2
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I'm not too familiar with this park for some reason. I've been in it only once or maybe twice.Don't know why I've always bypassed it - as I've spent loads of times around that area and been in Sefton park hundreds of times.

  3. #3
    theninesisters
    Guest theninesisters's Avatar

    Default

    You may not know this but Princes Park once had a set of tunnels!

    http://www.williamsontunnels.com/articles/martineau.htm

    They're now gone - thanks to the council but I did have a good nose in the one that was left!

  4. #4
    Still alive snappel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I went down to have a look a few years back, but I was too late - they'd just started excavating for that new housing development.

  5. #5
    Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    spent my childhood playin around that tunnel without ever knowing it
    was part of a networkof tunnels. Always believed it was some sort of air-raid shelter....

    The overgrown unofficial corner of the park always held the deepest fascination for us.

    Quite startling how steep that mini-valley is there. Shaped by the path of an ancient watercourse?
    Last edited by The Teardrop Explodes; 11-11-2006 at 08:06 PM.

  6. #6
    Otterspool Onomatopoeia Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I'm posting from there now!

    Guess how.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

  7. #7
    Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I'm posting from there now!

    Guess how.
    telepathy pal??!

  8. #8
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    spent my childhood playin around that tunnel without ever knowing it
    was part of a networkof tunnels. Always believed it was some sort of air-raid shelter....

    The overgrown unofficial corner of the park always held the deepest fascination for us.

    Quite startling how steep that mini-valley is there. Shaped by the path of an ancient watercourse?
    Yes, I always thought it was an air-raid shelter.
    Perhaps adapted from the cellars of "Park Nook"?

    The valley was originally a watercourse which ended up as ****inson's Dingle in St Michael's.
    Like the Dingle itself, unsuitable for building on.

    I see an automatic censor has altered D i c k i n s o n ' s Dingle.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 11-12-2006 at 11:14 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Waterways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,924
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    spent my childhood playin around that tunnel without ever knowing it
    was part of a networkof tunnels. Always believed it was some sort of air-raid shelter....

    The overgrown unofficial corner of the park always held the deepest fascination for us.

    Quite startling how steep that mini-valley is there. Shaped by the path of an ancient watercourse?
    Yep. http://tinyurl.com/y2htr4
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

    Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?


    Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

    Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

  10. #10
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default Man found hanged in Princes Park

    Just thought I would share some disturbing news.
    Don't know if it's in the papers yet, but a lady in the next street to my mum found a man hanging in Princes Park at half 7 this morning, whilst she was walking her dog.

    How very very sad.

    My thoughts are with his poor family.

  11. #11
    Still alive snappel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    That sounds grim...

  12. #12
    Otterspool Onomatopoeia Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    My Brother told me a story about someone being hanged In the old boat shack In Princes Park years ago.

    Boat Shacks burned down now though.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

  13. #13
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    And I was down that way about 11 oclock this morning taking piccies of the Potholes in Sevvie Park.its a good job I never went in there Takin' piccies I might have got locked up for bein' some crank or something..
    Last edited by Gerard; 02-01-2007 at 05:05 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member steveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    And I was down that way about 11 oclock this morning taking piccies of the Potholes in Sevvie Park.its a good job I never went in there Takin' piccies I might have got locked up for bein' some crank or something..
    Ermmmm potholes ?, the mind boggles, or are one that complains about them ?, if so good on ya, one big one knacked one of my car tyres

  15. #15
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Ermmmm potholes ?, the mind boggles, or are one that complains about them ?, if so good on ya, one big one knacked one of my car tyres
    Blame Kev..He wants the Photies..!!

  16. #16
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    My Brother told me a story about someone being hanged In the old boat shack In Princes Park years ago.

    Boat Shacks burned down now though.
    i heard something like that max.
    I also heard the island in Princes Park was haunted.

  17. #17
    Senior Member caterina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Princes Park.

    Is this park still in Liverpool please ? any sites to view it if still there..


    Thanks Caterina..

  18. #18
    Steven
    Guest Steven's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caterina View Post
    Is this park still in Liverpool please ? any sites to view it if still there..


    Thanks Caterina..
    Yes the park is still there and I posted some pictures in the photo section of Princes Park a few weeks ago.

  19. #19
    Senior Member caterina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re Princes Park.

    Thanks Steven for the info on Princes Park..


    Caterina..

  20. #20
    Senior Member caterina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re Princes Park

    Is there an up to date photo of Princes Park asi would like to what it looks like as i was told my Mum used to go there years ago and would like to know what state the park is now in very interested to know ..

    Thankyou Caterina..

  21. #21
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...ark+liverpool+

    you might find something here.

    Just scoll down and see if there are any photos.

  22. #22
    Senior Member taffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,323
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Princes Park Liverpool

    Here's two not very good photos Princes Park. The Park has not been well maintained and been allowed to deteriorate. Having said that, it's still an attractive place to walk around and imagine what it once was really like
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prince's Park Toxteth July 2005 056.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	3756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prince's Park Toxteth July 2005 058.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	3757  

  23. #23
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caterina View Post
    Is there an up to date photo of Princes Park asi would like to what it looks like as i was told my Mum used to go there years ago and would like to know what state the park is now in very interested to know ..

    Thankyou Caterina..
    Hi Caterina

    Here's search on Flickr that revealed photographs of Princes Park:

    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Live...k&w=all&m=tags

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  24. #24
    Senior Member caterina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re Princes Park

    Thanks all so far for your kind help really kind this is such a good site..

    Caterina

  25. #25
    Senior Member AngelCake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    PurplE Aki "hung" out there ,apparently

  26. #26
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Princes Park, Toxteth

    £70,000 revamp for historic park gates

    Feb 1 2008 by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

    AN historic set of Liverpool park gates are to get a £70,000 restoration.

    The work on the “sunburst” gates and their sandstone pillars at Princes Park, Toxteth, is expected to be completed by late spring.

    Workmen went on site this week to remove the giant pair of decorative gates for refurbishment.

    Last June, the Friends of Princes Park campaign group highlighted their fears the gates at the park’s main entrance were dangerous and needed urgent attention.

    A Liverpool council spokesman said: “The restoration work will cost just under £70,000 and that money is coming from the neighbourhood fund.”

    Princes Park was the idea of iron merchant and philanthropist Richard Vaughan Yates and was designed as a private park by Joseph Paxton in 1842, although the public had access to certain areas before the council took it over in 1918.

    catherinejones@liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  27. #27
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    £70,000 revamp for historic park gates

    Feb 1 2008 by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

    AN historic set of Liverpool park gates are to get a £70,000 restoration.

    The work on the “sunburst” gates and their sandstone pillars at Princes Park, Toxteth, is expected to be completed by late spring.

    Workmen went on site this week to remove the giant pair of decorative gates for refurbishment.

    Last June, the Friends of Princes Park campaign group highlighted their fears the gates at the park’s main entrance were dangerous and needed urgent attention.

    A Liverpool council spokesman said: “The restoration work will cost just under £70,000 and that money is coming from the neighbourhood fund.”

    Princes Park was the idea of iron merchant and philanthropist Richard Vaughan Yates and was designed as a private park by Joseph Paxton in 1842, although the public had access to certain areas before the council took it over in 1918.

    catherinejones@liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Great to hear! Thanks, Kev.

    I'm for anything that will upgrade Liverpool's parks as they have been and should be again some of the gems in the city's crown.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  28. #28
    Senior Member marky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,093
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Two days ago I took a pic of a sign (Aigburth 2 3/4 miles, I think it said), right next to those gates. I never even noticed if the gates had been removed or not. I'll have to check.

    Edit: Yes, the gates have gone. Some of the sandstone pillar sections have been taken down. The joints between these have looked a bit unsafe, for ages.
    Last edited by marky; 02-03-2008 at 04:13 PM.

  29. #29
    DaisyChains
    Guest DaisyChains's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Two days ago I took a pic of a sign (Aigburth 2 3/4 miles, I think it said), right next to those gates. I never even noticed if the gates had been removed or not. I'll have to check.

    Edit: Yes, the gates have gone. Some of the sandstone pillar sections have been taken down. The joints between these have looked a bit unsafe, for ages.
    Just taken some pictures. It looks very strange without those beautiful gates!




  30. #30
    Senior Member marky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,093
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    The Sunburst gates after a hail-storm, Dec. 2007. The sand-stone pillars looked badly damaged, when I saw them today.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PRINCES PARK SPRINGTIME CALENDAR
    By empeebee in forum Liverpool Parks and Grounds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 10:40 AM
  2. PRINCES PARK MEETING
    By empeebee in forum Liverpool Parks and Grounds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Princes Park Gates
    By Lil V in forum Liverpool Parks and Grounds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 03:15 PM
  4. Princes Park Donkey
    By gorgeous in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM
  5. MEETING of the Friends Of Princes Park
    By empeebee in forum Liverpool Parks and Grounds
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 09:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!