Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Sport and Recreation Heritage

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Oh yes - I know it. I went to a function there once.

I guess the speedway team folded due to lack of support then?
    Last edited by Steer; 03-09-2007 at 05:38 PM.

I only ever went there once, but later I was a regular at Belle Vue, I saw Peter Craven win the world championship at Wembley in 1962. After his death I lost interest and didn't watch much speedway after that.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Yes it was across from the Ab. Used to go a lot at one time with me dad. Shame it folded.

MarkA

Default Stanley greyhound stadium

The stadium was situated on the present fruit market site. It was a greyhound track, speedway, athletics and rugby stadium. The Piano Bar on Derby Lane in Old Swan used to be called The Rugby Club and was the social for the Liverpool City rugby league side.

Default Top Racing, London Road

Hello people!!

I am trying to find info/pictures on my Dad's old betting shop in London Road. It was called Top Racing, it was painted black & Green and it apparently stood on or near the site of where the LIDL is now. Can anyone help???

Will
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Vulcan to the Sky
    Sunbeam Tiger Owners Club

PhilipG

This is the site of the Lidl, in 1982.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4443567...7594265619936/

hmmmm... I'll have to quiz him again. I have pictures somewhere of me at about 3 years of age in London Road with a marching Band parading down the street behind me. I'll have to dig them out as is was right in front of his shop which might give me a better bearing on where it was exactly. Thanks for the pic Phil!
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Vulcan to the Sky

Good pic of the old Tatler Philip, hadn't seen that one before. I remember going to that Sayers on the corner many a time and you could see the new cathedral just up the road.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Good pic of the old Tatler Philip, hadn't seen that one before. I remember going to that Sayers on the corner many a time and you could see the new cathedral just up the road.
    It's on my flickr page, Ged, in the "Demolished Cinemas" set.

I remember Sayers well, on the corner of Anson St, used to do the butty run
    daily as I worked just up London Rd, towards the Majestic. This pic is Pye
    Telecom were I worked. The road is Norman St. The building
    to the right is Derwent House, you can also see in the background the Majestic and the top of the Royal Liverpool Hospital, think the pic is around January 1968.

Last edited by steveb; 03-15-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: info

The Greyhound track was White City Stadium and was located on Lower Breck Road. The Ambulance Station is now on that site.

There was also an entrance to the Stadium at mthe bottom of Sunlight Street (my way in) off Belmont Road.

Its all gone to the dogs now

Phredd

Right, ladies and Gents, my Dad's bookies was opposite the Eros and four doors away from the camera in Phil's post. Can anyone help???

Vulcan to the Sky

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by XL391 View Post
    Right, ladies and Gents, my Dad's bookies was opposite the Eros and four doors away from the camera in Phil's post. Can anyone help???

XL...The only bookies I can remember in this area was on the Right next to the Red shop which used to be London's Shoe Shop.
    I think it was Stanley Racing though...Or the Tote.....Could this have taken over your Dad's shop !!

Last edited by Gerard; 03-17-2007 at 12:41 AM.

I'll have to dig out the pics. There are so many!!! I'll try and go through them all in the next few weeks!!

Vulcan to the Sky

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast