Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Herculaneum Pottery

Blog Entries

A lot of people cite Herculaneum's demise with the growing success of the Wegewood Staffordshire potteries. But Wegewood were already doing well by 1796 when Herculaneum was established. From 1806 - 1820, the H. potteries experienced steady growth.

No one can agree on what caused the factory to close, but we know that other neighbouring industries were attempting to sqeeze them out by planning to purchase the land around the site. Talk about a Herculaneum Dock Bill, I think, was the final nail in the coffin. Fighting local industry is one thing, the government is another. I think they cut their losses and closed the doors.

Quentin_Sharples

Dazza, glad to have been of some help.
    All sources so far have been very vague about what became of the site in the immediate years after the closure of the Pottery, which could well have been in the late 1830s, rather than the much-quoted 1841.
    The site was put up for sale in 1841.

Apart from the fact that the various owners of the Pottery weren't involved with the day-to-day running of the business, and that it was sold in 1836, the main reasons for closure may well have been the much-delayed expansion of the South Docks, and the coming of the Railway.
    Early-Victorian "blight"?

The Pottery also had a site in St Helens, which continued in business after the Toxteth site closed.
    The 1839 Gore's lists St Helens, but not Toxteth.
    (IMHO, this is quite significant considering it was a Liverpool street directory.)

Blog Entries

Thanks QS, meticulous and studious research as always. I do appreciate all the maps that you managed to source for me to date so far. I hope, in return, I wasn't responsible for crashing your pc?

For all we know the pottery stock sold by auction from the Herc. site may have been laid up for some years? 1839 Gores, St Helens, they may have consolidated the stock, brought it to Liverpool and sold it there. So you could be right, activity may have ceased much earlier at the Toxteth site, in the 1830's.

Also I wonder how the exports were doing to the America in the 1830's? Although I agree - The Herculaneum Dock Bill would have sealed the factories fate at Toxteth..

Quentin_Sharples

Thanks, Dazza.
    Of course there was the St Helens/Runcorn canal and the dock on the Pottery site was there both before and after the Pottery closed.
    I try not to speculate in public because people sometimes accept conjecture as fact.

Still finding my way round the new laptop.
    At least Yo! is still the same.

Blog Entries

Great stuff guys. Keep it coming.

Blog Entries

Bumping some older threads.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Blog Entries

I've not been able to find one piece of Herculaneum Pottery, on display, in any of Liverpool's museums?

What's strange is that as a city we have a fine collection - some of which used to be housed in the Maritime Museum. My only hope is that there's some plan is in place to display them at the Museum of Liverpool Life, when it opens to the public?

Daz
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

I was not aware of this Herculaneum pottery until I read about it here on Yo. It doesn't get much of a mention anywhere else does it.
    Was there a display at the Maritime Museum or stuff just kept in storage ?
    It seems to have bypassed me. anyway, I've now learned something new about L'pool. I didn't even know we had a pottery!

There used to be some examples of Herculaneum Pottery in the Maritime Museum (4th floor I think). The story of their disappearance is detailed here:
    http://waynecolquhoun.blogspot.com/2...liverpool.html

Blog Entries

Thanks Lindy,

Liverpool's past industies could easily fill museum space given the chance. The irony here is that William Brown Street [home of Liverpool 'World' Museum] was previously called Shaw's Brow, home to Liverpool's pottery industry! Herculaneum Pottery was a Toxeth based factory until 1841.

Thanks marky,

I'll have to check it out. I didn't realise there was an antiques shop selling Herculaneum pottery in India Buildings, Water Street. I've passed the MMM a few times recently but not seen any pottery on display there.

Daz

Default Herculaneum objects in National Museums Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    I've not been able to find one piece of Herculaneum Pottery, on display, in any of Liverpool's museums?

What's strange is that as a city we have a fine collection - some of which used to be housed in the Maritime Museum. My only hope is that there's some plan is in place to display them at the Museum of Liverpool Life, when it opens to the public?

Daz
    Hi Daz.
    There are about half a dozen objects on display in the Walker Art gallery, in the Craft & Design gallery on the ground floor. There will be more on display in the Museum of Liverpool (which opens today).

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    There used to be some examples of Herculaneum Pottery in the Maritime Museum (4th floor I think). The story of their disappearance is detailed here:
    http://waynecolquhoun.blogspot.com/2...liverpool.html
    The Herculaneum pottery was removed from display to allow for expansion of the Maritime Dining rooms. There are some items on display in the Walker's Craft & Design gallery and more will be put out in the Museum of Liverpool which opens today.

There are about half a dozen examples of Herculaneum in the Craft & Design Gallery, on the ground floor of the Walker. There will be more on display in the Museum of Liverpool, which opens today.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

The Herculaneum was removed from the Maritime to afford the expansion of the Maritime Dining rooms. The Walker and the new Museum of Liverpool have some examples on display.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123