Liverpool's forgotten Glory [with apologies to to Peter Hyland].
Herculaneum Pottery was built on the south shore, Toxteth in 1796. It survived for only 44 years. One of the reasons cited for it's early demise was the rapid development of the Staffordshire Potteries. Even today, 'Herculaneum pottery' is much sought-after by collectors, as examples of early earthenware, creamware and china from Liverpool's industrial past.
Image 1 ^ Herculaneum Pottery by George Codling, engraving as displayed on share certificates. c.1806. NML image.
Image 2 ^ Pottery location. The Potteries closed 5 years after the John Bennison map was drawn, in 1840.