Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: James Maybrick

Nice to see you back here, Tony. I enjoyed listening to those selections from your album. Very good, mate.

Hiya shirleya, nice to meet you.

You both might be interested in this strange story out of Southport about a bag and key that allegedly belonged to James Maybrick plus a sideboard that supposedly came out of Battlecrease House, that was the Maybricks as well (so the poster says). It sounds a bit farfetched because the Maybricks' possessions were sold after Florence Maybrick's conviction and the house leased out. The thread on the Southport Forums is five years old. What has happened to this stuff in the meanwhile and how come, if real, no one has heard about it???

Jack the Ripper in Southport!!!

See what you think. . .

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default james maybrick in southport

hi there tony and chris
    will just go and have a look on that southport site in a mo-thanks for that.
    there are a few jack the ripper fans-so to speak-in the library where i work and they always tell me when a new book comes out-so i will pass this southport info on -cheers. mostly they still think it may be maybrick but i still go with sickert-or two people working together but i am sure new theory will come along before long.
    night

just read the southport stuff-very interesting. well i wonder if anyone can find out what has happened to the stuff after 5 years . i can agree with the stuff one of the forum people said-why would he go from someone so outwardly calm and normal to some mad fiend -maybe we need a profiler of some kind to work on the case and check out maybricks profile.

Pity about the shadow, but took this picture of the grave last week it remains in a sorry state.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jame Maybrick grave Feb08.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	597.3 KB 
ID:	5221  

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    Pity about the shadow, but took this picture of the grave last week it remains in a sorry state.
    Thanks for this, SteH. A shame indeed to see the gravestone in this state.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks for this, SteH. A shame indeed to see the gravestone in this state.

Chris
    Here's another photo,taken 5-6 years ago of the grave when they had tried to patch it up after the initial vandalism.

Name:	maybrickgrave.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	5225  

Default 'Really Exciting Stuff Chris, THANKS!'

Hi Chris (and all),

Really glad that you liked my work! I'm recording a lot again these days and having an enormous amount of fun. Maybe you could mention my Jack The Ripper track in your magazine and include a link? I don't mention any particular candidate as the ripper in the track so I think a lot of people would enjoy it...and it might help me to sell a few of the 500 copies of the album I'm currently SLEEPING with! HA HA HA HA

Thanks so much for the link! I am really excited about this piece of news! Don't you think it just adds to the debate, the mystery and magic of the Maybrick and the diary saga? I agree with you this time though, that without further investigation (and a thorough examination of all the items) that the whole thing is highly suspicious and could easily have been posted by someone just to 'wind people up'. Thinking 'outside the envelope' for a moment however there are a number of points about the story that COULD make perfect sense. Mike Barratt was I believe at one time a scrap metal dealer was he not? It would not be outlandish to therefore accept that he might easily be well known to local builders/house clearance/electricians/
    van men etc. The idea that some or a lot of Maybricks furniture could still be in the 'Liverpool area' is also perfectly feasible. I mean back in 1889 people didn't have the ability to travel/transport goods long distances as easily as they do today, so likelihood suggests that a lot of the Maybricks furniture from Battlecrease would have been sold to 'locals'. I also like the idea that the diary and pocket watch could have been found together and 'sold for cash' at the same time. this would explain rather neatly their seemingly untimely 'discovery' not far apart from each other. The story also suggests that perhaps the 'refurbishers' found the items but did not report this to the owner of the house itself, choosing instead (dishonestly) to sell them for what they could get. However, before we get carried away here, you have to also think that IF such people HAD found items like this that they would have at least READ the diary before parting with it. If they had done so, they would soon have discovered that the diary appeared to be that of JACK THE RIPPER! With such knowledge is it really likely that they would have accepted a mere £20 as their ill gotten gains? I do like the fact though that the bag has the words J.M. JACK written on it. Not only does it mirror the diary explanation of how the name was chosen, it also mirrors (for me at least) the psychology of the diarist. By this I mean that part of the thrill of being JACK was to make him feel so much CLEVERER than everybody else. 'Leaving clues' was just one of the ways that he liked to do this. The Goulston Street Graffitto, The Red Leather Cigarette Case, The inscription in his OWN pocket watch (or even his wifes pocket watch) and of course the diary itself. What thrill would Maybrick have got KNOWING that his wife was continually carrying with her EVIDENCE that could potentially hang him. How James would have laughed to know that the pocket watch might be on the bedside table when Florrie was with 'The Whoring Master'. It would all have been a very dangerous game, but a THRILLING ONE and his continuing luck in getting away with it all so far would, I believe, have driven him to taking bigger and bigger risks. All killers harbour a secret desire to be caught, isn't that what they say Chris? Some because the decent side of them wants to stop but cant and others simply because they crave RECOGNITION for what they have done. James Maybrick was a man that had lived in the shadow of his brother Michael all of his life and it is the depiction of a love/ hate relationship between the diarist and a 'Michael' that, if like me you believe the writer was James Maybrick, provides him with a MOTIVE for the JTR killings!

Interesting Stuff!!

Over to you lot!

Love

Tony.

not sure still tony-but interesting reading. Keep us posted everyone if anythng new comes up. great thread.
    shirley a

I understand from your words, ChrisGeorge, that Paul H. Feldman is dead???
    This would be a shock to me....if it is true!

Yours sincerely, Battlecrease71

p.s.: I love this forum and would like to know if the website made by Chris from the Cricketclub is available yet!!
    Last edited by Battlecrease71; 04-03-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlecrease71 View Post
    I understand from your words, ChrisGeorge, that Paul H. Feldman is dead???
    This would be a shock to me....if it is true!

Yours sincerely, Battlecrease71

p.s.: I love this forum and would like to know if the website made by Chris from the Cricketclub is available yet!!
    Hello Battlecrease71

First, my understanding from Chris Jones is that the website he has been putting together on the Maybricks is close to going public.

He has also been working on a book about the Maybricks which appears to be, I think, a kind of Maybrick A to Z with information on the family gleaned from contemporary newspapers, including profiles of leading figures in the case, on the coroner's jury, in the trial at St. George's Hall, etc.

Yes, Battlecrease, I can confirm that Paul Feldman passed away suddenly in June 2005. There's a thread about his death at Casebook: Jack the Ripper, "Paul Feldman - (Rest in Peace)"

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Default Battlecrease House

Thanks to you all, I've been checking out a bit of local history and was trying to find out where Battlecrease House was. This forum and your comments were the only place I was able to locate the building, even though I live just one mile away. Rest assured it's still there but there doesn't seem to be any reference to it's name or history.

Default Florence Maybrick trial

If anyone's interested there is a talk on the trial at St Georges Hall 1st May 2008 12-30 - 13-30.

Hi all

Good news, the Maybrick website designed by Chris Jones of the Liverpool Cricket Club is up and running.

I have pasted below what Chris wrote at Casebook Jack the Ripper about the site:

Dear All,

You might be interested to know that we have just launched a new website that focuses on James and Florence Maybrick and the world in which they lived. The website is called: http://www.jamesmaybrick.org

The aim of this website is to tell the two interlocking stories of Liverpool and the Maybricks in a balanced and impartial manner. It looks at Victorian Liverpool, Florence’s murder trial and the controversial debate over whether James Maybrick was really Jack the Ripper. The website includes items written by people such as Donald Rumbelow, Professor Rubinstein, Paul Feldman, Steve Powell, Shirley Harrison, Chris George, Adrian Morris and Caroline (Caz) Morris.

There will not be a message forum on the website. However, we would welcome any referenced articles on the Maybricks. Such articles will be stored in an archive vault for people to view and download. The aim is to gradually build up a large library of both primary and secondary information to enable people to reach their own reasoned conclusions about James and Florence Maybrick.

The new website also includes an advert for the so-called Maybrick Watch currently owned by Albert Johnson. The sale of this watch is a purely private matter and nobody associated with the website will gain financially in anyway by its sale.

Please have a look at our new website. Compared to the excellent casebook website, it is rather a small affair. However, we are quite proud of it (yes, we are biased).

Best wishes, Chris Jones
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi all

Good news, the Maybrick website designed by Chris Jones of the Liverpool Cricket Club is up and running.

I have pasted below what Chris wrote at Casebook Jack the Ripper about the site:

Dear All,

You might be interested to know that we have just launched a new website that focuses on James and Florence Maybrick and the world in which they lived. The website is called: http://www.jamesmaybrick.org

The aim of this website is to tell the two interlocking stories of Liverpool and the Maybricks in a balanced and impartial manner. It looks at Victorian Liverpool, Florence’s murder trial and the controversial debate over whether James Maybrick was really Jack the Ripper. The website includes items written by people such as Donald Rumbelow, Professor Rubinstein, Paul Feldman, Steve Powell, Shirley Harrison, Chris George, Adrian Morris and Caroline (Caz) Morris.

There will not be a message forum on the website. However, we would welcome any referenced articles on the Maybricks. Such articles will be stored in an archive vault for people to view and download. The aim is to gradually build up a large library of both primary and secondary information to enable people to reach their own reasoned conclusions about James and Florence Maybrick.

The new website also includes an advert for the so-called Maybrick Watch currently owned by Albert Johnson. The sale of this watch is a purely private matter and nobody associated with the website will gain financially in anyway by its sale.

Please have a look at our new website. Compared to the excellent casebook website, it is rather a small affair. However, we are quite proud of it (yes, we are biased).

Best wishes, Chris Jones
    Thought you might be interested in this, taken one week ago!

Name:	maybrick.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	6508  

George

Default The Ripper

Hi Chris I always one for having a go at the ripper case so here's my tuppence worth.

A lot has been said that Maybrick wasn't the ripper but have you noticed in the map out of the london streets he murdered his victims close to the same named streets in old liverpool?

For instance Whitechapel,Commercial Road ect,ect

I'll dig my volume of the "diary of the ripper" out and look up the streets again,I have only one street that I cannot pin point as I cannot find a detailed map of the whitechapel area but all the other streets are close by his victims murders.

And remember he was from liverpool and travelled to london frequently and we also have to remember when he died of arsnic poisning all the ripper murders ceased.

Cheers.
    George

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast