Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: James Maybrick

PhilipG

For the record, Tommy Handley lived next door to Battlecrease House and flats (or town houses) called Handley Court were built on that site, in the 1960s I think.

New apartments cover the demolished Riversdale College site, nearer the river. A small block has also been built near Aigburth Rd end. Battlecrease House is usually obscured by bushes. I'll have to go and have a look just incase anything's happened down there recently.
    I know there have been a couple of recent demolitions facing the cricket ground (Aigburth Rd).

Hi Folks

I alerted Chris Jones with the Liverpool Cricket Club to this report. Chris is working on a website on the Maybricks which should shortly go live shortly and he can give us definitive word on the current status of Battlecrease. I doubt whether the owner of Battlecrease, Paul Dodd, would sell it and allow it to be demolished since he is fully aware of the house's history and significance. Besides which, that's pretty fast work to demolish it and have luxury apartments built in the place of the mansion in the seven months since I took the above photograph.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

got duff information there, glad to say battlecrease is still standing. apologies.
    anyone for cricket

DaisyChains

Found this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9781905615186-...QQcmdZViewItem

It says it's still unpublished...

Any news on the Maybrick website Chris?

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    Found this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9781905615186-...QQcmdZViewItem

It says it's still unpublished...

Any news on the Maybrick website Chris?
    Thanks, DaisyChains. It turns out the book is published by the National Archives (formerly the Public Record Office) and will not be out until the end of March. Here are further details, also a couple of other things that should interest you:

Mrs Maybrick by Victoria Blake

Publisher: National Archives (PRO), The
    Pub. Date: March 28, 2008
    ISBN-13: 9781905615186
    128pp, available from Barnes & Noble, etc.

I have found that solicitor Alexander MacDougall's 1891 book, The Maybrick Case: A Treatise in defense of Mrs. Maybrick is available from Google Books.

Check this out too: Florence Maybrick a Thrilling Romance. As the blogger says, "Another 'true' crime dreadful from George Purkess Jr., proprietor of the Illustrated Police News along with a text sample showing the meaning of the term 'romance.'"[/url]

In regard to the Maybrick website upcoming from Chris Jones at the Liverpool Cricket Club, here is the latest word I received from Chris on January 20 last:

"Have almost finished Maybrick A to Z. It is 200 pages in length, based in the main on local newspaper reports. Website almost finished as well. Best wishes, Chris J"

It sounds to me that conceivably Chris might be putting out a book as well as the website. I have sent him an email to clarify that and will let you know.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Yes, The National Archives - they recently published a similar volume on Crippen.
    It is Accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Yes, The National Archives - they recently published a similar volume on Crippen.
    Thanks, Mark. It's probably a smart thing for the Archives to do, to publish what is in their files about famous cases.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Default 'Hello Again!'

Hi Chris, Paul and everyone!

I've been away from 'Maybrickland' for quite a while now and haven't checked in here for some months but it's good to be back. Interesting to see news of new books soon coming on the subject and I can't wait to visit Chris Jones's James Maybrick website (To which I have contributed a piece, so will expect plenty of flak! HA HA). The reason I've been away for so long is that last year I joined a vocal group called 'BREEZE'. After recording a few tracks with the group, I got the bug for recording again (I used to record in the mid 80's) and have since recorded a singing album 'Songs From The End Of The Pier' and now a new kind of poetry concept album called 'In Words, In Music...Of Life, Of Death' so i've been a really busy bunny! The new poetry album has a track all about JTR on it and I think all of you will like it. It's not specifically about James Maybrick so it will suit all 'ripper tastes' HA HA You can have a listen to the track by visiting the Myspace page I've created to promote the release, just paste this url into your browsers.

www.myspace.com/inwordsinmus...

If I'm not trying your patience with such a blatant sales pitch HA HA, I'd also like to state here how sorry I was to learn of the death of crime historian and T.V star Jeremy Beadle. Those of us that attended last years trial of James Maybrick at Liverpool Cricket Club will know first hand what a genuine and easy to talk to guy Jeremy was. He compared last years event superbly and made it not just an interesting and informative weekend but a fun one as well. Jeremy played a trick on me during the 'question and answer' session at the end of the trial when he consistently refused to give me the microphone despite mine always being the first hand in the air! When at last I decided to get my camera out and snap the event, Jeremy sneakily held the microphone out to me! Everyone laughed when I didn't notice and after that the joke ran and ran. I REALLY enjoyed that bit of tomfoolery and the Maybrick trial is well up there with my list of 'best holidays ever'. So THANK YOU Jeremy, you were a true gent.

If any of you do visit my JTR poem, please let me know what you thought eh?

Oh, and if you want a copy of the album there £9.99 including P&P! HA HA HA HA HA HA

Love to all,

Tony.

Default 'Myspace Link Dosen't Work!'

Hi Everyone,

Sadly, the myspace link to my albums home page doesn't work. The three dots at the end should be part of the url but this website hasn't thought so. To get to my albums page try this link instead...

www.myspace.com/tonymay4

This is my personal myspace page. Scroll down to 'My Friends' and click on the album cover there. That will get you to the albums home page where you can hear my ripper piece. The ripper one is called 'A Researchers Nightmare' by the way.

Tony.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Brilliant news Mark.
    Have you read the Crippen one?
    (Is there a Wallace one? hehe)

Thanks for info Chris. Will really look forward to the site (and book!)

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    Brilliant news Mark.
    Have you read the Crippen one?
    (Is there a Wallace one? hehe)

Thanks for info Chris. Will really look forward to the site (and book!)
    No, I haven't read that one DaisyChains.
    I actually wrote to the publishers asking them if they were going to do a Wallace edition (I actually enquired about doing it). Haven't heard anything yet...
    Last edited by Mark R; 02-02-2008 at 09:36 PM.
    It is Accomplished

Default jeremy beadle and this thread

Just finished reading this thread from start to finish and i must admit to enjoying it. I thin k i am in the camp of tony sort of-i think he was definately a killer -maybrick i mean-but not necessarily the ripper murders. I also thought florence was totally innocent. And i am also sad to hear the bad news of jeremy beadle who came accross as a joker but everyone has said how intelligent and kind he was. I know its a bit off thread but how about walter sickart for the ripper murders??? I just think it was more than one person and they possibly worked together?????
    thanks again everyone for this brilliant thread.

Default 'Hi Shirleya!'

Hello there! Glad that you've enjoyed this thread. There's been some really good and constructive conversations about James Maybrick/Jack The Ripper on here and some interesting points and theories have been expressed. The great thing here Shirleya is that with all our differing opinions, things always remain as discussion unlike the JTR caseboards.

As far as Walter Sickert goes, he IS a viable candidate BUT there are SERIOUS holes in the Royal Ripper Theory. I personally think that, as a painter and artist, he may simply have been INSPIRED by the ripper murders. It also seems that Sickert may well have been responsible for sending some of the ripper letters to the police. If this is true, along with the references to the murders included in some of his paintings, I think the evidence all points to a man OBSESSED with the killings rather than a man who's COMITTING the killings. Sickert was known to be rather an eccentric man and I'm sure I've heard was even known to have dressed up and gone out to walk the streets in clothes resembling the general vision of what the ripper looked like.

For me though, while there are still a great many flaws in his candidacy ( as Chris will no doubt fill you in! HA HA HA) I still favour Maybrick. There are a number of books coming out shortly that will stir things up considerably this year as well so keep watching this thread! HA HA HA

Over to you Chris!

All the best,

Tony.

Default maybrick and sickert

thanks tony
    just loving this site-think im addicted-and everyone is really helpful and friendlyam loving the photos. Looking forward to new developements for the ripper murders-keep us posted-thanks.
    Just noticed that jeremy beadle raised loads of money for charity in his life-good on him-i dont know why he was disliked by some people-he was a good man -not perfect-but then who is?????/

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast