YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 54

Thread: Liverpool Art Cafe

  1. #1
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default Liverpool Art Cafe

    Well worth a visit just to check out Tom Murphy's sculptures. A full English brekky is only £3.95

    too! No la de da Lark Lane pretentiousness either. Most of the customers just come in for a bite to eat and haven't a clue who Tom Murphy

    is

    Paul, you're only 5 mins drive away. Pop in for breakfast






    ADVERTISING








    n


  2. #2
    Otterspool Onomatopoeia Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    So where is this place where I can get a full

    English Breakfast for that price?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Neat stuff, Dave! Is that the model for the Beatles sculpture at Cavern Walks? Did Tom Murphy do that sculpture? Where exactly is

    the Liverpool Art Café?

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  4. #4
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    So where is this place where I can get a full English Breakfast for that

    price?
    I think the address is 683 West Derby Road, but just look out for the Newsham Park bizzie shop. It's just across the

    road from there.

  5. #5
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Neat stuff, Dave! Is that the model for the Beatles sculpture at

    Cavern Walks? Did Tom Murphy do that sculpture? Where exactly is the Liverpool Art Café?

    Chris
    Not sure about that one Chris. I'm

    meeting up with him tomorrow. I'll ask him. He done the Billy Fury monument, by the way.
    http://www.liverpoolsculptures.com/website/fury.htm

  6. #6
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Not

    sure about that one Chris. I'm meeting up with him tomorrow. I'll ask him. He done the Billy Fury monument, by the

    way.
    http://www.liverpoolsculptures.com/website/fury.htm
    Thanks. I appreciate that. I'm squinting at those newscuttings on

    the wall and it looks like he met Yoko Ono. At any rate, he does good stuff.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  7. #7
    Otterspool Onomatopoeia Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I'd only go there for the English Brekkie, but that price sounds worth it.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

  8. #8
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    I think the address is 683 West Derby Road, but just look out for the Newsham Park bizzie shop. It's just across the road from

    there.
    Tuebrook.

  9. #9
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Tuebrook.
    LOL! You know the bridge going across the road? I thought it was part of the derailed Liverpool -

    Southport route. I gained access by climbing over the wall where the old bowling green used to be in Newsham Park. Took a few snaps and was about to go back

    when a friggin' train hurtled past, beeping it's horn! (Almost) Shiit myself!

  10. #10
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I

    know where you mean. The green behind the old Newsham hospital ? There is a little tunnel there too. Havn't looked there for a long time so it could be

    bricked up now.
    Do you remember the little Tatoo shop that was just under the bridge ( on the main road) ? It was there for years.

  11. #11
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I know where you mean. The green behind the

    old Newsham hospital ? There is a little tunnel there too. Havn't looked there for a long time so it could be bricked up now.
    Do you remember the

    little Tatoo shop that was just under the bridge ( on the main road) ? It was there for years.
    Yeah I know that tunnel, it's in between (what

    was) the Seaman's Orphange and the bowling green. Don't know now, but there were garden allotments on the other side. Don't recall the tatoo shop.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Motorhemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Was the tatto shop called Pete's

    Tattoos?

  13. #13
    Otterspool Onomatopoeia Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    LOL! You know the bridge going across the road? I thought it was part of the derailed Liverpool - Southport route. I gained access by climbing over the wall where the old bowling green used to be in Newsham Park. Took a few snaps and was about to go back when a friggin' train hurtled past, beeping it's horn! (Almost) Shiit myself!
    Any pics of that ?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Paul D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Paul, you're only 5 mins drive away. Pop in for breakfast
    I'm a big admirer of Tom Murphy's work he's a legend I'll definitely be dropping in there thanks Dave.

  15. #15
    Senior Member shytalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pocahontas.Arkansas. U.S.A.
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    The tunnel was still open last year when I walked through the park. I used to use it every day when I lived in Sutton St. to take my dog to the park.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

  16. #16
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Any pics of that ?
    I'll have a look around on my hard drive. Mark (Bunnyman) may still have a copy of a pic I sent to him over a year ago.

  17. #17
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    The Seamans orphanage. It was a hospital or clinic of some kind in later years wasn't it?
    Actually I shouldn't have called it Newsham hospital 'cos the real Newsham hospital was on Belmont rd and backed onto Lower Breck rd - the paramedic ambulance depot is still there.

    The clinic by Tuebrook was called Park hospital I think.

    The tatoo parlour was a tiny shop ( more like a little hut) right by the bridge and was well known. I might have a picture of it somewhere.

  18. #18
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Other places in Tuebrook you might remember are; St John's youth club (we had some great nights there - great music and sometimes live bands),
    St Cecilia's club, the Binmens' club on Green lane, The Coconut Grove night club.

  19. #19
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Other places in Tuebrook you might remember are; St John's youth club (we had some great nights there - great music and sometimes live bands),
    St Cecilia's club, the Binmens' club on Green lane, The Coconut Grove night club.
    Missus and I got hitched up 29 yrs ago in St Cecilia's! We had our reception in my Mum and Dad's Canny Farm living room

  20. #20
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    ahh.

    I went to a wedding at St C's about a year ago.

  21. #21
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    I'll have a look around on my hard drive. Mark (Bunnyman) may still have a copy of a pic I sent to him over a year ago.
    did anyone ever find any pics?

  22. #22
    Senior Member Jock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Croxteth, Liverpool
    Age
    37
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Went to the Cafe on Friday morning - superb breakfast, and the art work was great.

    Also the owner was very friendly, and I pointed her in the direction of this web site for my source of reason to visit!

    Can recommend it!

  23. #23
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    did anyone ever find any pics?
    Yep, here's one I found looking up West Derby Rd (westbound). The Newsham Park police station is just out of sight to the left and the cafe would have been on the right side. Pic taken in April 2003.


  24. #24
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Smashing pic. Nice and clear.

  25. #25
    Member SIMON HARRISON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    birmingham,and liverpool
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Neat stuff, Dave! Is that the model for the Beatles sculpture at Cavern Walks? Did Tom Murphy do that sculpture? Where exactly is the Liverpool Art Café?

    Chris
    Chris, John Doubleday did the Cavern Walks sculpture, when unveiled by Mike McCartney,he quipped "Very nice, but which ones our kid?" to a bemused Mr Doubleday

  26. #26
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SIMON HARRISON View Post
    Chris, John Doubleday did the Cavern Walks sculpture, when unveiled by Mike McCartney,he quipped "Very nice, but which ones our kid?" to a bemused Mr Doubleday
    Thanks for this information, Simon. A visit to the Liverpool Art Café sounds like a must for my upcoming visit to Liverpool next May. The locale is also of interest to me because my father worked at Newsham Park Hospital in the early 1950's before we emigrated to the United States.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  27. #27
    Member SIMON HARRISON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    birmingham,and liverpool
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks for this information, Simon. A visit to the Liverpool Art Café sounds like a must for my upcoming visit to Liverpool next May. The locale is also of interest to me because my father worked at Newsham Park Hospital in the early 1950's before we emigrated to the United States.

    Chris
    Sounds great Chris, how long are you over for?

  28. #28
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Hi Simon

    We would be over for about ten days to two weeks, spending some time in the south, then coming up to Liverpool for a week or so, then back down south before flying off. I'm coming for the Maybrick event at the Liverpool Cricket Club and to take part in a couple of poetry readings at the Everyman and at Albert Dock in connection with a Liverpool poetry anthology, Living on Hope Street that includes a selection of my poems.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  29. #29
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    Proceed with caution Simon (shudder!)

  30. #30
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Don't worry Dave -- I am only voracious in the chat room.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. There was a cafe
    By delzx7r in forum Liverpool Memories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 06:02 AM
  2. Lovely Liverpool cafe???
    By naked lilac in forum Cultures and Communities in Liverpool
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 02:55 AM
  3. Liverpool Culture Cafe meets a Dragon!
    By Liverpoolculturecafedotco in forum European Capital of Culture 2008
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 04:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!