Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Hi Ged

I totally agree that Beatles albums are strong throughout without dud tracks, the exceptions perhaps being experimental or throwaway things like "Revolution No. 9" and "Why Don't We Do It In the Road?" on the White Album, "Her Majesty" on Abbey Road, and "Maggie May" on Let It Be-- though nice to hear the snatch of John essaying that famous Liverpool song!

Circa 1964-1965, I similarly liked the Stones, Beatles, Animals, Kinks, etc, and did not prefer one group over the other -- they all had something to offer. I think possibly the disjunction between the Beatles and Stones was partly a result of the groups' publicity with Brian Epstein consciously trying to portray the Beatles originally as cleancut (belying the leather and ciggies image they had adopted in Hamburg and for their pre-Epstein Merseyside gigs!). While Andrew Loog Oldham's publicity machine pushed the Stones and the longer haired bad boys of rock.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Yes, the highly manufactured Good v Bad personas.

I think in the period 63 - 65, there wasn't much to choose between the groups you mention and a few others(even though they'd done the U.S. billboard all time record) . The Beatles for me came into their own from 66 onwards which is why it's usually the albums from this era that feature high up in the all time listings of best albums of all time.

After the Beach boys Pet Sounds in 66 which influenced the Sgt Pepper recordings, Brian Wilson was writing and about to record the legend which was known as/to become 'Smile'. Upon hearing Sgt Pepper though he basically threw his hand in saying it could not be bettered and went into his mass depression period. Pink Floyd too were in the next studio at Abbey Road recording Piper at the gates of dawn when they too were blown away by what was coming out of No. 2 studio.

I agree Its a weird one between the Beatles and the Stones and I like both myself for different reasons. Can't understand the whole 'which one is better?' etc as they are so different. Maybe in the very early days of the bands when they recorded old blues songs etc and then had the poppy tunes you could say they were competing in some way but otherwise they are such different styles of music. The Beatles so went ther own way and all ways while I feel the stones stayed pretty much along the lines of their R'n'B thing (Satanic Majesty era apart) which no one can beat them at.
    As for the Beatles as a band, it amazes me when I see these top 10O lps of all time etc things and see Radiohead and Oasis at number 1. They may have recorded good albums but when a band changes the way chart music sounds across the world, rescues America from its depression after Kennedy was shot, then releases something like Riubber Soul, follows that with Revolver, then changes everything again with Sgt Peppers, how can any other band compare.
    Having said all that, Im sure some will disagree, which is cool

By the way Chris, The International Beatles week is still going as strong as ever and takes place in the week running up to the Matthew street festival with conventions and auctions etc.
    Last edited by christy; 01-12-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Hi Christy

I am pleased to hear you say that the International Beatles Week is proceeding as strong as ever. Whatever one thinks of the Beatles and their music and the innovations that they brought to popular music, for much of the rest of the world, it was the Beatles who put Liverpool "on the map."

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

FKoE

"Oh I do like to be beside the seaside..."

It seems that with the Apple dispute over and the Beatles songs to be available on itunes as dowloads, they could feasibly have the full top 40 placings. That would be brilliant and so fitting and would let them overtake Elvis in the all time UK No.1 spot where he is one ahead (I think) cos of that 'a little less conversation' remix.

Gerard

My Beatles Stuff..Including the Earlier Red Label Please Please Me..McCartneys Choba B..George Harrison's My Sweet Lord and his Concert for Bangladesh LP box set..The Bad Finger singles are a bit rare..

Great stuff Gerard, good idea to post your memorabilia.

Elvis in the all time UK No.1 spot where he is one ahead (I think) cos of that 'a little less conversation' remix.
    I can't believe they actually count that song for Elvis,It would have never got to number 1 without the remix.Remember the Beatles would often put 2 classic songs on one single,I think Penny Lane was a B-side that probably would have ended up as number 1.

That's some collection that Gerard.

Gerard

Thanks Lads, Glad you like my Collection.

That's true Paul. It was regarded by George Martin in retrospect that it was a mistake to put those 2 (Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever) as a double A side because it meant they only each received 50/50 radio airplay which meant it only got to No.2 - beaten by Engelbert Humperdinck's Please Release Me. It was also regarded a mistake not to release any of the Sgt Pepper album tracks as a single. I often wondered why Macca never 'made sure' that Free as a bird didn't make No.1.

Someone mentioned to me the other day that McCartney had a tape of a Lennon song that was supposed to have been a duet between John and Yoko.He reckons that he is going to release it as a duet between John and Paul have you heard anything about this?

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Someone mentioned to me the other day that McCartney had a tape of a Lennon song that was supposed to have been a duet between John and Yoko.He reckons that he is going to release it as a duet between John and Paul have you heard anything about this?
    Never heard about that one Paul,But if its got Yoko on it I reckon Pauls in for a bit of a Battle..

I don't think it has got Yoko on it but it was originally meant to have her on it,it's supposed to only have Johns vocals on it,it may just be a rumour.In fact I think McCartney was going to add the music as well now that I think about it.

This is a song that was suppossed to have come out with Anthology 3. If you remember 'Free as a bird' came out with Anthology 1 as a reworked song of John's now featuring the other 3 Beatles, 'Real Love' came out with Anthology 2 and the 3rd one, the name escapes me for a minute was blocked by Paul at the last minute (rumours being because George blocked Pauls 1967 avante garde instrumental from appearing) - seems then it may resurface after all.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast