Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Penny Lane used to have cast iron signs. They kept getting stolen by 'souvenir hunters'. Because of this, the signs were painted on the walls. As a true Beatles fan, surely you knew about this? How could that possibly be a sarcastic remark? It's fact! And is in fact a positive comment about the Beatles - it just shows how determined and enthusiastic their fan base is.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Penny Lane used to have cast iron signs. They kept getting stolen by 'souvenir hunters'. Because of this, the signs were painted on the walls. As a true Beatles fan, surely you knew about this? How could that possibly be a sarcastic remark? It's fact! And is in fact a positive comment about the Beatles - it just shows how determined and enthusiastic their fan base is.
    Ever thought about becoming an MP snappel
    You'd be PM in 6 months...Absolutely World class evading the question techniques there Lad and worming your way out of it....Brilliant..thats all I can say
    Last edited by Gerard; 08-14-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Souvenir hunters kept on removing the famous metal Liverpool 18 Street sign, and so, in the end, the Council had it painted on the walls - literally.
    icliverpool.co.uk

kat2

Hi Snappel, ** for years the Beatles werent really promoted certainly not on the scale or following like it is today, and why? well simple look at the revenue it brings in millions of foriegn visitors each year all come looking for where it all started Liverpool the home of Music the Home of Talented people, thats something very special about this city. Yes the Beatles are done todeath, but hey it brings in dollars its brought a massive tourist trade.
    You dont see that in many other UK citys. I love it when it gets to that certain time of year when the city becomes awash with japanes, chinees people all looking for reminants of the Beatles.
    How many other citys year on year have such a large influx like Liverpool does? I certainly have never seen it in Manchester certainly not on a regular basis like it does here
    remember this all brings cash and prosperity to the city of Liverpool, and ** yes I do get abit fed up of ferry cross the mersey, but hey if it brings tourists in and improves the local economey that has to be good for the city and its people as a whole.
    kat

I have to say I'm not a big fan of The Beatles but to say they are not musical is ridiculous. They had something that many acts try to achieve - their own sound (love it or hate it). I do have to say also, that Ringo comes in for a lot of unnecessary criticism. Yeah, he wasn't a fantastic drummer but the rest of the Beatles weren't virtuoso performers on their respective instruments and neither are Charlie Watts or Mick Fleetwood and they don't seem to receive the criticism Ringo gets. Ringo's son Zak is an excellent drummer. Mind you, he was inspired by Keith Moon!
    It is Accomplished

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    This 1 Zappa is the Living room John Lennon was in on the night his Mum was run over and Killed by a drunken off duty Policeman.
    People come from all over the world and stand outside here and take a piccie and off their pop back to where ever they came from.
    Aren't you lucky your me new best mate..Im only putting them on for you Lad.

New best mate....er thanx????
    Nice pics.Whats yer problem.I don't have one.
    Nowt wrong with filling this with Beatles photos if it gets you off.
    I don't care what you put on here.
    Have fun
    Last edited by Kev; 08-13-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Wish that was painted on a better wall, I'm finding It hard to like that pic at times.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

John(Zappa)

Default Again enough said and well said

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    I have to say I'm not a big fan of The Beatles but to say they are not musical is ridiculous. They had something that many acts try to achieve - their own sound (love it or hate it). I do have to say also, that Ringo comes in for a lot of unnecessary criticism. Yeah, he wasn't a fantastic drummer but the rest of the Beatles weren't virtuoso performers on their respective instruments and neither are Charlie Watts or Mick Fleetwood and they don't seem to receive the criticism Ringo gets. Ringo's son Zak is an excellent drummer. Mind you, he was inspired by Keith Moon!
    Ringo was and still is a top guy.
    I think people should understand by now.!!!!!
    Again well said and enough said

They have two or so modern Penny Lane signs like this one In Scouserdave's pic now.

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/.../image001.html

I like the painted one though with all the graffiti on.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

John(Zappa)

Thumbs up Calm down

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi all

I agree with Kev. Calm down everyone and be friends.

John, you might be interested to know that I spent part of my day on Saturday with a Liverpool fan from north London with whom I went to an Irish bar downtown to see LFC play Aston Villa. He was in the Baltimore area staying with relatives because he had come here specifically to see Frank Zappa's son Dweezil play his father's music in concert in "Zappa on Zappa" this past week.

He did though develop his love of music first through hearing the Beatles. I directed him to this thread and his comment was: "How anyone can say the Beatles were 'not even talented' is beyond me. I mean, whether you like them or not, the creative strides they made speak for themselves."

Chris
    Hi Chris
    Hope you enjoyed your Zappa day in Baltimore.
    I got loads of Zappa fanz who like the Beatles so it shows we're not all perfect(haha).
    Each to their own I say but lets not argue over it.Its like arguing over "who's the fastest guitarist".
    Am going the ZPZ show in London.Amazing the last 1.
    Anyway cheers mate
    John

I listened to a record by Dweazil Zappa, Frank's son once.

Not a fan of the Beatles or Zappa though. I just take pics of Beatles sites just for my hobby as It's an excuse to use the camera.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    Hi Chris
    Hope you enjoyed your Zappa day in Baltimore.
    I got loads of Zappa fanz who like the Beatles so it shows we're not all perfect(haha).
    Each to their own I say but lets not argue over it.Its like arguing over "who's the fastest guitarist".
    Am going the ZPZ show in London.Amazing the last 1.
    Anyway cheers mate
    John
    Hey John. I'm the guy Chris was referring to who came to Baltimore for Zappa Plays Zappa. I think your comments are born more of misguided snobbery than anything else. The Beatles were not particularly amazing musicians, but in actuality that, along with the fact that none of them could read or write music, makes their achievements all the more amazing. And virtuosity is not the same thing as creativity. Look at Yngwie Malmsteen for example. Looking at the Beatles' clear artistic growth over the years, the thought and work that they put into their albums, and the almost mind-boggling consistency of the quality of their tunes renders any comment stating so simply that they had "no talent" rather silly. You may not like what they wrote, but to equate them with mindless pop acts like we see today (which is essentially what you are doing) is ridiculous my friend.

By the way, I'm heading to the London ZPZ also. Judging from the Baltimore gig you (along with me and everyone else there) are in for a serious treat. The band are looser and more comfortable than last year, and the setlist is spectacular. It's evenings like these that, more than almost anything, make life worth living. Music is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Not Talented ?..Frank Zappa never wrote a song that will come close to anything Lennon and McCartney wrote.
    Bottoms up..
    I have to take issue with this. I will always adore the Beatles, who were the genesis of my love affair with music. What they did should never be underestimated and it irritates me greatly when people do so. Frank Zappa's music, however, is technically on another level completely; it combines virtuosity with constant invention, diversity and conflation of style, and is sheer musical adventure. The man was a genius, plain and simple (and I hate overuse of that word), and his work transcends almost all popular music.

Just to go back the original discussion regarding the Beatles. Objectively I think it is hard to argue with the fact that, while hardly the only great thing about Liverpool, they have been probably the most significant force in placing Liverpool on the map, along with Liverpool Football Club. Ask any American or non-Brit about Liverpool, and they will likely mention one of those two things, with the Beatles being probably the more likely. There are many great things about Liverpool but, love 'em or hate 'em, John, Paul, George and Ringo are its most famous sons.
    Last edited by RedMatt; 08-16-2007 at 07:57 PM.

John(Zappa)

Talking enough said like I said

Misguided snobbery eh ?
    Snob I ain' that's for sure.Misguided ? Nope.
    Well said though.I will go with that.No problem.

However...The Beatles are not what put Liverpool on the map.
    Some people have a crazy idea that All scousers like the Beatles and football.
    I just "deviate from the norm"
    Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible.

Anyway hope to see you at "one of the best concerts the UK has to offer".

I just don't like the way Liverpool's identity seems to be built around them and the football club when the city has so much more.

And for the record, I hate the word 'talent'. It's just a convenient word for people to use to explain away something they cannot do/have not tried to do/have failed at. It sort of strips away all the grafting, practise and hard work from someone's achievements and suggests they were simply 'born that way', which I don't think is really fair.

John(Zappa)

Talking true

Am on your side Snappel

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast