Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Gnomie

Well i have met lots of German people in Liverpool over the years, so thay are coming here.

Like I say, as a mega Beatles fan, i'm quite happy with that viewpoint Merseyrose. It's rather taken for granted by some who think they should all still live in a two up two down semi in the Dingle. They bring far more into the local economy than some of the bashers would care to admit.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Chris48

We wouldn't have had the great Rock n Roll music that we have had over the last Forty odd years if it wasn't for the Beatles. They were a tremendous influence over many a latterday rocker. They were great, end of !

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Well i have met lots of German people in Liverpool over the years, so thay are coming here.
    Yes, I know - unfortunately I never seem to meet them here in Germany.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    why did John Lennon carry a whole stack of zappa tapes round with him when travelling,
    Zappa initially copied the Yardbirds in music style and many of their songs.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Default El Puerto de Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    As much as I love the Beatles, when a ship in nearly every port in the world once bore the name 'Liverpool', I think it more likely that this would be where a lot of people would have once known Liverpool from.

Mexico has a group of Department Stores called, in English, " The Port of Liverpool"

If you go to www.liverpool.com.mx you can get an idea of the Liverpool group, the corporate info is in English. They have about 43 large upscale department stores throughout Mexico, the first originating in Mexico City 160 years ago. The name came from the fact that originally most the goods were imported from the UK via Liverpool, probably arriving by ship at the Mexican Gulf port of Veracruz.

The full name of the group is El Puerto de Liverpool (The Port of Liverpool) but everyone now refers to the stores as Liverpool (and with a Mexican accent it comes out as "Leeverr-pool").

These days they sell just about everything: furniture, jewellery, perfumes, clothes, shoes, kitchenware, stoves/fridges etc, books, wines, sweets, delicatessen, restaurant, electronics, toys, glassware, cutlery, crockery, linens, sports goods, motorbikes.
    It's all good quality products

Default Germans in Penny Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Lots of Germans were in the Penny Lane area over the Mathew St festival period last weekend. Many visited the Beatles exhibition at St Barnabas Church where Paul McCartney sang in the choir and also where his brother was married.

web site

Beatles Weekend at St Barnabas Penny Lane? August 2008 #2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sgt Pepper at St Barnabas DSC03623R.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	540.4 KB 
ID:	7846  
    Last edited by taffy; 09-02-2008 at 09:42 AM.

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Zappa initially copied the Yardbirds in music style and many of their songs.
    Oh dear, wrong again
    Zappa never copied anyone. He was influenced by Weburn,Stravinsky,Varese to name but a few.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    Oh dear, wrong again
    Zappa never copied anyone. He was influenced by Weburn,Stravinsky,Varese to name but a few.
    I saw him say that on the TV only last week.

how it once was?

I was in Hamburg a few years ago (a Beatle city if ever there was one). When some Germans I met knew where I was from none of them mentioned the Beatles - they mentioned LFC...Music does have a big following worldwide - but I think football has an even bigger following - certainly in South America and most (if not all) of Europe.
    I'm glad you mentioned that list Ged - spot on. Especially the shipping and Gladstone/Monserrat & Dixie Dean/Babe Ruth connections. We've also had some of the best comedians ever.
    It is Accomplished

I was vaguely aware of Frank Zappa - someone from some 60s hippy/troggy band I thought ?? Ha!
    I'd heard the name but I couldn't have told you who he played with or what he sounds like. (I still wouldn't know him if I fell over him and I wouldn't know which is his music) - I admit to being a bit single minded and only pay attention to my own kind of music which I follow. I have been totally oblivious to anything else. So, when JZ first came to Yo I had to Google to see who is this Frank Zappa

Not a criticism of Zappa you understand - I am just saying that he is not so famous to everyone

The Beatles - well whether you loved them or loathed them you couldn't escape them - Beatle mania was in your face and no one in this world would have to Google to find out who were the Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    As much as I love the Beatles, when a ship in nearly every port in the world once bore the name 'Liverpool', I think it more likely that this would be where a lot of people would have once known Liverpool from.

Also as the 2nd city of the British Empire one time and so eminent in politics (Gladstone), writing (Monserrat) and the many many firsts in medicine and world inventions/discoveries.

Babe Ruth visited Liverpool from the USA especially to see his world renowned sporting counterpart in our very own Dixie Dean in the 1920s and of course we all know LFC's pedigree from the European finals of the 1960s,70s,80s+

The longest battle of WWII 'The Atlantic' was also operated from Liverpool's citadel

The swinging 60s must have been a real pleasure in liverpool what with the docks the way they were, Lfc's promotion then fa cup 65, ECWC 66 and Evertons FAC 66 and parading the world cup around in the 66 charity shield with Wilson and Hunt.

The Beatles were a catalyst to all this in the 60s and just further enhanced and promoted our city. It's just a pity that our tourist board never capitalised on them in the 1970s like they should have done.
    Great list, Ged. We wuz the greatest back then, and its wonderful to see Liverpool's current renaissance. I have to say that, as I believe, I have mentioned here on a number of occasions, whenever I mention to people here that I come from Liverpool (okay maybe a number of them are of a certain generation), they say, "Oh, were the Beatles came from. Did you know them?" It's then that I tell them I have a copy of the Beatles signatures from 1962, and if I tell the factual story, I say I didn't get it personally but obtained it from someone who got it from the boys at the Cavern. It amuses them to hear that Paul McCartney used to be the paperboy for my uncle, Billy Matchett, the Liverpool comedian, at his house Vaudevilla, on Booker Avenue... and at that time Uncle Bill was more famous than Paul. I have a newscutting from the Fifties in which I am, as a lad, going up the steps to a transatlantic plane. It appeared in an article by George Harrison, the Echo columnist, who wrote it following a tip from Uncle Bill.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

just thought I would add that whenever I tell the spanish here that I am from Liverpool or yes leeverpol as they say, most of them do say ah Beatles although I have had the odd few mention the football team mostly cos of the spanish players now, one of my good spanish friends is an avid liverpool football fan!

Blog Entries

Here are the Beatles walking down Paradise Street.

how it once was?

Good photo of the Beatles