Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Chris48

I don't know if this has been posted before but its great. Stick with it because it changes halfway through and best with the volume turned up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoGusxJ-0XI

Well found Chris, yeah ha ha and the Beatles are crap aren't they. I'd like to know who the other bands are who were better, sure some had a handful of decent songs and that's where it ends. Look at the household names that copy and play their tracks, that youtube vid had a few 'heads' on it. Look at the groups in the 60s who they also wrote for and those who did cover versions on their albums. No, there's no doubt, that were the daddies of the era and who everyone looked to - I respect Brians Wilsons word on the subject too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Chris48

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Well found Chris, yeah ha ha and the Beatles are crap aren't they. I'd like to know who the other bands are who were better, sure some had a handful of decent songs and that's where it ends. Look at the household names that copy and play their tracks, that youtube vid had a few 'heads' on it. Look at the groups in the 60s who they also wrote for and those who did cover versions on their albums. No, there's no doubt, that were the daddies of the era and who everyone looked to - I respect Brians Wilsons word on the subject too.
    I don't know if its true or not but I read somewhere that this song was the only Beatles song ever to win an Ivor Novello songwriting award. Did you clock the guy playing the stratocaster with the black hat. He played all the lead and his name is Marc Mann. He is one of Jeff Lynne's musicians and worked with George Harrison on his final album. I thought he stood out well considering all the names that were there.

I know Frank Sinatra used to sing it live and wrongly acclaim it as his 'favourite Lennon and McCartney song.' Shirley Bassey has also covered it too to name but two.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.Williams View Post
    Feel free to have that picture as a desk top image, Victoria.
    I just did that for myself - I adore this photo!
    Thank you ever so much.

The Beatles were the greatest group ever (in my own personal opinion).

Most people (including music experts and critics) will probably agree that they were great innovators and the pioneers of popular music (meaning pop and rock) as we know it. Without them, there wouldn't be anyone else! There wouldn't have been a Frank Zappa or whoever, they were the predecessors to all other popular musicians.

As for Liverpool, yes, it's true that it once was a great and world-famous city because of its role as the most important seaport in the UK and one of the major seaports in the world. However, like it or not, since its economic decline caused by the increasing importance of aviation, outside of the UK it's only famous because of The Beatles and maybe Liverpool FC nowadays. It's still a great city but in Europe and other parts of the world, most people won't know about it at all or only because of one or, at most, both of these two.

I first learned of the existence of Liverpool in connection with The Beatles when our Music teacher introduced us to them, that was when I was in about 7th grade, so I was about 13 or 14 then. Later on, through reading more about England out of personal interest, I also found out about Liverpool's great maritime history and this added to my fascination with this city.

When I attended the Beatles Convention in '88, I met other young people from various countries, such as Japan etc., but all of them were only in Liverpool because of The Beatles, none of them because of Liverpool FC, to my knowledge.

It was only during my stay in England that I found out about Liverpool FC, I had never heard about it before, probably because I've never been interested in football.

I know that some Germans know about Liverpool FC but I'm sure that for most people in Germany and other European countries, the first thing they'll associate Liverpool with and their main reason for visiting the city is or would be The Beatles.

On all my visits to Liverpool and its wonderful attractions, I've realised how much else this city has to offer and I think it's a pity that most people outside the UK don't know about this. Maybe this will change now with the Capital of Culture year and the recent developments.

Anyway, just face it: In post-war times, it was The Beatles who put Liverpool on the map.

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Merseyrose View Post
    The Beatles were the greatest group ever (in my own personal opinion).

Most people (including music experts and critics) will probably agree that they were great innovators and the pioneers of popular music (meaning pop and rock) as we know it. Without them, there wouldn't be anyone else! There wouldn't have been a Frank Zappa or whoever, they were the predecessors to all other popular musicians.

Ha,ya gotta laugh.Seen this posted elsewhere....
    why did John Lennon carry a whole stack of zappa tapes round with him when travelling, lennon was a big fan of zappa he appeared on stage with yoko and sang a song 'i used to sing in the cavern in liverpool' with zappa. the beatles collection of three minute pop songs is remembered because thats exactly what they were, 3 minute pop songs, stuff that was easy to sing along to, frank was never into the commercial side of pop music .

You gotta laugh

OK; no need for sarcasm here.

Did Zappa's music influence the music of The Beatles or John Lennon in any way? Could you tell us more about this if this was the case?

If Zappa was that great, why, do you think, didn't more people recognize his greatness back then? Surely there must have been more people who also appreciated less commercial music.

Each to their own, it's what makes the world go around. No need for comparisons as in this case there is none.

Chris48

Frank Zappa, wasn't that the guy that called his daughter "Moon Unit" and his son Dweezil ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    Ha,ya gotta laugh.Seen this posted elsewhere....
    why did John Lennon carry a whole stack of zappa tapes round with him
    Zappa was way after the Beatles. He was heavily influenced by British music when he started off.

Lennon may have been slightly influenced by Zappa late on, as he would have been subconsciously by others around too. The Beatles were influenced initially by black American music too, as well as traditional rock and roll.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Merseyrose View Post
    The Beatles were the greatest group ever (in my own personal opinion). Without them, there wouldn't be anyone else!
    Anyway, just face it: In post-war times, it was The Beatles who put Liverpool on the map.
    I wouldn't say that there wouldn't be anyone else without them. The Beatles themselves were influenced by Elvis, Buddy Holly, (even Segovia) and a host of others. Everyone has influences so it is ridiculous to say that other acts wouldn't have been around without them. I also disagree with the idea that they put Liverpool on the map. Our two football teams put Liverpool on the map long before the Beatles came around.
    It is Accomplished

As much as I love the Beatles, when a ship in nearly every port in the world once bore the name 'Liverpool', I think it more likely that this would be where a lot of people would have once known Liverpool from.

Also as the 2nd city of the British Empire one time and so eminent in politics (Gladstone), writing (Monserrat) and the many many firsts in medicine and world inventions/discoveries.

Babe Ruth visited Liverpool from the USA especially to see his world renowned sporting counterpart in our very own Dixie Dean in the 1920s and of course we all know LFC's pedigree from the European finals of the 1960s,70s,80s+

The longest battle of WWII 'The Atlantic' was also operated from Liverpool's citadel

The swinging 60s must have been a real pleasure in liverpool what with the docks the way they were, Lfc's promotion then fa cup 65, ECWC 66 and Evertons FAC 66 and parading the world cup around in the 66 charity shield with Wilson and Hunt.

The Beatles were a catalyst to all this in the 60s and just further enhanced and promoted our city. It's just a pity that our tourist board never capitalised on them in the 1970s like they should have done.

Gnomie

The vikings came, knocked down a forrest and named it Aintree ( One Tree )
    Do they get the credit
    Then King John said be a city, let me put ships here to attack Ireland
    Slave traders built the city
    USA-The shipping between there and here.
    Irish, Welsh, Scots, Italians, scandanavians, etc etc coming here.
    The Airport, M62 and tunnels

Im getting bored now, who put us on the map? I thought it was the Ordinance Survey

I like the Beatles, much more than a 3 min pop song group. Very talented lads. I prefer their later stuff myself. If you like the music then enjoy it.

Im off to stick Elvis on Then Madness

@Mark R: You're right, every artist is influenced by others before him/her and so were The Beatles. However, whereas their predecessors played rock'n'roll and skiffle, they were the pioneers of pop as such.

Speaking of putting Liverpool on the map, I was looking at it from the perspective of people outside the UK. Liverpool probably is very famous in the UK, and rightfully so, but go over to Germany and ask people whether they've heard of Liverpool or what they associate with it and I bet most of them will say "The Beatles". I'm also quite sure that the same goes for other continental European countries. Older generations may also remember Liverpool as a great port city but you really don't hear this too often.

I often go on telling people about Liverpool and how wonderful it is but most people either immediately say "The Beatles" or just don't associate anything with Liverpool at all. Moreover, I've hardly ever met any German who's been to Liverpool, sadly enough.

So, I think, for people not interested in football and to European societies at large, The Beatles did put Liverpool on the map. In the 60s, more people went nuts about music than about some foreign football club and I think this will always be the case - music will reach bigger crowds than football does.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast