Thread: IRELAND Family History - Please Help!

Default IRELAND Family History - Please Help!

Dear All,

I'm interested in my IRELAND family roots and have been gathering bits of info for years. My dad Thomas IRELAND b. 1936 and still in shock to find out that his paternal gran had married twice (the 1911 census is a wonderous thing)! His dad was Harold b. Widnes 1888 and didn't share this information with him.

Evelyn IRELAND nee APPLETON b. 1859 in Barnton, Cheshire married (1887) Thomas IRELAND b. 1861 into a house in Halton View, Widnes.
    Evelyn married John ALLISON from Lincolnshire in 1909 and he died in 1913 ? she wasn?t very lucky with her men. They were married in Liverpool which is strange as she lived in Halton View Road from her marriage to Thomas until her death in 1930. John declared himself as resident in Halton View Road & she claimed to live in Liverpool.

Thomas (b. 1861, d. 1894) was the son of Thomas IRELAND (b. 1816 Much Woolton, d. 1893) and Elisabeth (b. Widnes 1828) married in Rainhill in 1854. Thomas the elder was a farmer and had (in 1861 census) 2? acres in Halton View.
    I think Thomas the elder is the one listed as living with his parents (Thomas born 1771 and Ellen) in Speke on the 1841 census. By 1851 Thomas has moved to Widnes with his mother and two sisters (Ellen, 35 and Margaret, 45).

This is as far back as I have managed to go as there seem to be so many Thomas IRELANDs around!

Any more help on the IRELAND family would be gratefully received?

Thanks,
    Val

Hi Val,welcome to YO! If you dont have any luck on here,maybe you could try Liverpool and Southwest Lancashire genealogy,or Lancashire Rootschat,who both deal in genealogy, specifically!
    Steve.

I can only help with locations. My family too were from Much Woolton and I live in Halton View. Ireland is quite a common name in Widnes even now. There were quite a few farms around Halton View although you would not think so these days. The old victorian "Warrington Road" school has only been demolished about 10 years or so.

Dear Steve & Underworld,

Thanks for your help. I have joined various genealogy forums & dipped in & out of the IRELAND family history for a number of years but really must sort out the link between the IRELANDs in Widnes and those left behind in Liverpool. I also need to sort out the idea that they were farmers and find out where the 2.5 acres were in Halton View - not an enormous plot of land though, maybe they were at the end of their farming careers by then.
    Crumbs! this almost sounds like a New Year's resolution ... must get going!!

Thanks again for your suggestions & have a happy 2010.
    Regards,
    Val

Blog Entries

Hi Val,

I wonder if you're a distant relation of Blackburn-Ireland family, lords of the manor, in Hale?

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...x?compid=41311

Hello Val

You probably know that the lords of the manor of Hale were the Ireland family and that besides living in Hale Hall, they held the Old Hutte in Halewood that was demolished when the Ford factory was built there. More information here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~m.royden/...t/moattext.htm

http://www.btinternet.com/~m.royden/.../hale/hale.htm

If you are not directly related to the Ireland family, there may be some distant kinship. Good luck in your research, Val.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Hi Val,

I wonder if you're a distant relation of Blackburn-Ireland family, lords of the manor, in Hale?

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...x?compid=41311
    Great minds think alike, dazza. Thanks!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

How about that? Well done Chris. Halton's just a stone's throw away. I'd be surprized if there's not a connection there somewhere along the line?

Almost royality ah Val?

Dear Dazza & ChrisGeorge,

Thanks for the posts, very interesting websites - royalty hey Dazza? I wish!!
    I have wondered about the Blackburn-Ireland connection too but not got quite that far... I'm working on it! Watch this space...

Thanks again,
    Val (nee Ireland!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
    Dear Dazza & ChrisGeorge,

Thanks for the posts, very interesting websites - royalty hey Dazza? I wish!!
    I have wondered about the Blackburn-Ireland connection too but not got quite that far... I'm working on it! Watch this space...

Thanks again,
    Val (nee Ireland!)
    Thank you Lady Val...I mean your majesty LOL. Hey, you never know, there may be something there? Keep digging...

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    I can only help with locations. My family too were from Much Woolton and I live in Halton View. Ireland is quite a common name in Widnes even now. There were quite a few farms around Halton View although you would not think so these days. The old victorian "Warrington Road" school has only been demolished about 10 years or so.
    Whereabouts was the old victorian "Warrington Road" school?