Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Art Deco Liverpool and wider area

Default Here's Another One

Some buildings (The Palace is definitely one) are 100% Art Deco; I mean this in as much as a fool could tell straight away.

Some, though are (certainly for me) a little bit harder to determine. Such as the one below. I'm 70% sure this is Art Deco, but one of our 'experts' may correct me.

Wallasey Road, Liscard.

This is another one I see every day but know nothing about. I've never read anything about this building, but I feel it may have been built for the gas / electric board. I'm pretty sure one of them had a showroom on the ground floor in the 90s. Probably the wrong side of the water for most of you

Default rosso8

Yes you are right, it was the gas showrooms in the late 60's-70's.

PhilipG

I'd say that one in Liscard Village is art-decoish (if such a term exists).
    Because it's obviously 1930s, there is an art deco influence.
    I took photos of it, intending to post in this thread, but you've beaten me to it, Ross.

I've looked up the Palace, and it just says (vaguely) that it was built before the outbreak of war, and was used as an American Army Depot during the war.
    For some reason, I keep thinking of 1938 when I think of the Palace.

Default Burtons building.

Not sure if i've put this one up before from the book Streets of Liverpool, pic by J. Parkinson but shows London Road at full throttle.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Napier city in New Zealand was flattened by an earthquake in the 30's, the whole town was rebuilt in this era and is known as the art deco capital of the world due to all the buildings that were built, i've been there quite a few times and it is a lovely place to visit

Anybody heard when work on the Littlewoods building will start? Nothing seems to have happened yet.

Dave.

I'm starting a photographic study of art-deco in Liverpool, there's a lot of crossover between it and neo-classical too... look at the building on Church Street being made into Keys Court, or Primark or the building John Lewis' used to be in, or the Sayers on Church Street. They all have elements of both neo-classical and art-deco. I have a feeling the Adelphi falls into this bracket as well.

Has anyone mentioned the Birkenhead Tunnel entrace yet, I know the shafts have been mentioned... there is also the Futurist Cinema on Lime Street, the Royal Court Theatre, Blackburne Chambers at the top of Dale Street and the Ship and Mitre pub on Dale Street

Still no Littlewoods action and probably won't be for a while,it seems the credit crunch has put the skids under Urban Splash and they've had to downsize and put projects on hold. Grr.

Dave.

I just thought I'd revive this thread with some photos of the Palace in New Brighton...

It's one of my favourite Art Deco buildings and quite a significant one, I would say. The building houses a funfair and indoor arcade run by the Wilkie family.

Art Deco at its best!
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Some fantastic pictures thanks! This thread started with the Littlewood building in Edge Lane. I pass there every day, and there doesn't appear to be anything happening. The building looks more and more in disrepair as the weeks go by. Anyone got any info on progress?

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    Some fantastic pictures thanks! This thread started with the Littlewood building in Edge Lane. I pass there every day, and there doesn't appear to be anything happening. The building looks more and more in disrepair as the weeks go by. Anyone got any info on progress?
    Agreed. It's looking worse all the time... I imagine development is on hold with the recession...

Default Some More Deco...

Here are a couple of photos from Seacombe Ferry Terminal, another great building on the Wirral...

The terminal building is very similar to the Art Deco shopping parades around Liverpool - such as at Dovecot and Broadway, Norris Green.

Default Blackburn Assurance Chambers

There are two bees carved into the Trueman Street side of this building - can anyone explain how this came about? They look very modern, and not at all like the rest of the building

I lived there for years and can't say I even noticed them This will keep us 'busy' trying to find out
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by tpoo22 View Post
    There are two bees carved into the Trueman Street side of this building - can anyone explain how this came about? They look very modern, and not at all like the rest of the building
    The bee is the symbol of Blackburn.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast