Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Art Deco Liverpool and wider area

There's a building on Everton road thats Art Deco....can anyone guess what that building is?

The old clinic facing the derelict Georgian property at the top of plumpton st.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

The old clinic facing the derelict Georgian property at the top of plumpton st.
    Well done Watson,mind you couldn't go wrong as its the only building that Art Deco on that road.

Did ya know that the backend of Lewis's is Art Deco,the section near to Rapid.

I knew it through having 60s photos of the whole of St Domingo Road, right along Heyworth st to it's continuation onto Everton Road - both sides.

Check out the Godfrey Davis rental van.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes , That building is virtually unchanged since that pic in the 60s ,however the properties either side have all gone and new housing now occupies the sites. Mill road has been built over at the Everton Rd end,and a new housing development is now in progress further in around the Margaret street area.
    I recall going to that welfare clinic with my mam when i was a kid to pick up Farleys Rusks and Bottles of Still Orange juice in return for tallys /tokens shortly after the birth of one of my younger Brothers. The milk man also used to accept the tallys as part payment of his weekly bill. The building across the road in Plumpton Street was where school kids with itchy heads were sent for the treatment by Nitty Nora The Flea Explorer, afterwards they would be sent home with a Derbac comb.....never went there myself Honest

Hey Ged have you got a pic of Everton Road Red triangle Club ,which was on the same side as the clinic only it was further along near the Breck road junction. I would be made up if you did cos in the seventies i used to attend woodwork lessons in the basement with a Mr Gough, Ta !

Collegepudding

Everton Road Red triangle Club
    Not 70's but it was home to the 9th Kings regiment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EvertonRd1.gif 
Views:	585 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	23172

I have a pic of the red triangle but opposite the clinic. Did it move opposite after you used to go there then?

I will take a look. There is still one multi occupied Georgian Building, just along from the clinic and of course the dilapidated old nursery at the top of Plumpton street which has a lovely curved back balcony overlooking the Mersey.

Thanks G.p and thanks Ged . Yep in later times i did notice the Barracks building opposite was displaying the Red Triangle club sign , but when i attended the club it was deffo on the same side as the clinic ,but further towards Breck Road...if its any help; in The 1958 Kellys directory at No.126 in the centre of the block bordered by Hodson place . and Dido St , just by Hall & Rodgers Builders merchants it lists it as Red Triangle Lads club . i was presuming this must have been the building...if you have a pic of it Ged then that would be great mate !

On the same side as Plumpton Street but further along closer to Brunswick Road at No, 51 is listed - The Orange Lodge Memorial Hall No.4 District ,where our close neighbour from Hardwick Strret Billy Webster moved in as caretaker when we were all being cleared out of our street for the building of The new Royal hospital....

The Nursery,by Plumpton Street, as i remember it was the Council run, Adam Cliff Day Nursery, my Mam used to drop my youngest brother there in the early to mid 70s on her way to her job in the City Architects canteen in Leeds Street prior to her transferring to Blackburne Chambers Ged

collegepudding

Blog Entries

The building across the road in Plumpton Street was where school kids with itchy heads were sent for the treatment by Nitty Nora The Flea Explorer, afterwards they would be sent home with a Derbac comb.....never went there myself Honest
    I did, many times, now I'd be very pleased to have some !

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011