Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Tom Slemen

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    Thanks Kid Amigo. Tom is always a pleasure to deal with (as his publisher I would say that). What is important is that his material comes directly from the public. I was with Tom at the Big History Show this weekend, in St George's Hall, and he had a constant stream of people bringing him new stories, photos and information. Remarkably, he spent twenty minutes writing down a weird timewarp experience from one ex-serviceman in his eighties when - some half an hour later - another woman, entirely unconnected - related a virtually similar personal experience. Make what you want of it - but Tom is just passing on these stories for your interest and enjoyment.
    On another point - Tom's book on the Ripper is expected late-April. It is definitely worth a read (publisher talking again).
    No problem, Colin. I pull apart local and even national 'celebs' if I find them to be false or no talent wannabes. Or living of 'simply being a Scouser' (really irks me that). But I give credit when I think is due. And as Tom Slemen gets a lot of negative vibes of this forum, I just thought I would give my opinion of the man.

Blog Entries

It has taken a long time but at last Tom's book on Jack the Ripper is now in the shops. At 400 pages, it is a pretty heavy read but I look forward to hearing people's opinions in due course. There will always be new theories on who was the Ripper but Tom has a very original take which has drawn admiration from Richard Whittington-Egan, widely recognised as one of the foremost Ripperologists in the world.

I'm not so much into the Ripper case but look forward to what others think of Tom's theories.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I'm not so much into the Ripper case but look forward to what others think of Tom's theories.
    Aye. Stay tuned. We will be reviewing the tome in Ripperologist. Frankly, I am looking for something better than what is in Tom's ghostie books. Not to put them down but this just might be a more serious topic.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I already know, who Tom thinks it was. Very interesting, I heard about this about 5 or 6 years ago. So the book as been along time coming. And it is not any of the usual suspects that have been written about in the past.

Tom is on Billy Butler today and will be talking about an SOS message sent by the Titanic that was only received in 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Tom is on Billy Butler today and will be talking about an SOS message sent by the Titanic that was only received in 1978.
    I was listening to the ice cubes in my drink last evening and thought I heard an SOS.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    It has taken a long time but at last Tom's book on Jack the Ripper is now in the shops. At 400 pages, it is a pretty heavy read but I look forward to hearing people's opinions in due course. There will always be new theories on who was the Ripper but Tom has a very original take which has drawn admiration from Richard Whittington-Egan, widely recognised as one of the foremost Ripperologists in the world.
    Review in Ripperologist No. 116, September 2010

JACK THE RIPPER: BRITISH INTELLIGENCE AGENT?
    Tom Slemen with Keith Andrews
    Introduction by Richard Whittington-Egan
    Liverpool: The Bluecoat Press, 2010
    Softcover, illus, index, 381pp
    £8.99

Tom Slemen has chronicled Liverpool’s weird and wonderful paranormal past for a long time, penning a series of popular books and a regular column for the Liverpool Echo. They are great fun, but it has to be said that rigorous factual analysis and historical accuracy don’t appear to be among his highest priorities, and one didn’t really expect Jack the Ripper: British Intelligence Agent? to bring us any nearer to the identity of Jack the Ripper.

And the book met one’s expectations.

Slemen’s theory that Claude Reignier Conder (1848-1910) was Jack the Ripper has been kicking around for over a decade and the book promised for almost as long, so researchers have had an opportunity to see if the idea has legs, and it hasn’t, not as far as folk could see, but with the instinctive desire to champion the underdog, one really hoped that Slemen had some eye-popping evidence, or at worst a compelling argument. Sadly Jack the Ripper: British Intelligence Agent? is the damp squib one thought it would be. It’s a moderately enjoyable read, but it isn’t serious history.

The basic theory is that all the Ripper’s victims were somehow implicated in Fenian and Anarchist activities and were murdered by Conder, a trained assassin.

Conder was born in Cheltenham and after being educated at University College London and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, he carried out survey work in Palestine, where he became a friend of Kitchener and Charles Warren. He twice undertook surveys for the Palestine Exploration Fund and in later years wrote several scholarly works. According to Slemen, it was when working for the Palestine Exploration Fund that Conder acted as an intelligence agent for the British, but if that was ever the case it was purely in the capacity of collecting topographical information. There appears to be little or no reason to suppose that Conder was ever or would ever have been employed as an assassin.

This prima facie daft idea is compounded by Slemen’s claim that the Ripper’s victims were subdued by the murderer using pressure points, something a killer trained in martial arts would know how to locate. Slemen supposes that Conder had martial arts training, but as far as facts are concerned, there’s no evidence that Conder could karate chop through a paper bag.

Other ‘evidence’ implicating Conder is a claim that the murderer carved glyphs from the Moabite language on Eddowes’ face. Why he should have done that isn’t clear, and the significance of said glyphs is equally obscure, as is the claim that ‘Juwe’ is a Manchu word meaning two. Equally, of course, it was a misspelling of Jews.

Thankfully there’s an index, but notes and a list of sources would have been appreciated.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Sources...............Come on!!!!

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Here's a plug though:

http://www.slemen.com/

Jack the Ripper was a journalist..Its true..He made the name up.

The killer of these 5 poor women...I have no idea?

I believe it was more than one person. I also think the Police may have known who it was.

Right im off to write me book.

Spike-The British Make it upper.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Jack the Ripper was a journalist..Its true..He made the name up.

The killer of these 5 poor women...I have no idea?

I believe it was more than one person. I also think the Police may have known who it was.

Right im off to write me book.

Spike-The British Make it upper.
    There is a good case to be made that the name was made up by a journalist. And it is a great name, isn't it? Everyone knows the name "Jack the Ripper" even if they don't know much else about the murder case of 1888.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Ive just got my hands on 3 copies of the London Police Gazette for 1888 with details of the murders. Dont know it they are rare. Anybody know? I paid a fiver for them.

That sounds like a throwaway price in any case UW so well done. Are they originals though or copies?

Im sure they are originals Ged. The guy hadnt read them.

Subdued with pressure points? That pressure point stuff gets exaggerated in Martial arts all the time! He had tools so why need to use Martial Arts even if there was evidence he was trained?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    Ive just got my hands on 3 copies of the London Police Gazette for 1888 with details of the murders. .
    You worry me at times
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast