Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Slemen

Too busy dodging the flak or counting his cash
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Chris48

Deleted
    Last edited by Chris48; 08-12-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Why did you delete that Chris

He says he doesn't include far fetched ones. Now come on......

http://www.slemen.com/capsule.html

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Gnomie

Says it all Max

Blog Entries

That Rodney Street Spectre one really gets my goat!

At least he gets William Mackenzie's name right... it has only taken him 12 years!

I take it you all like him then
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

I've personally nothing against him and have bought some of his books, the problem I do have is that these books are considered (but never actually said in black and white) to be real stories when if people know that area in particular, the stories make no sense at all. There are three stories of which I have read which have made no sense due to their locations/dates or involvement of the stories and therefore don't buy any more of his books.

There was a letter in the echo, suggesting some one make a television show based on his books! There was one in the sixties, Jackanory!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by verdi View Post
    There was a letter in the echo, suggesting some one make a television show based on his books! There was one in the sixties, Jackanory!!!!
    Was It an elderly person? They always write letters to papers saying he deserves some kind of award.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Another Slemon error.

There is a story about two people breaking in to a house in Low Hill and eating a load of food before finding out from a pub that the house in question was a place where some old chap used to use animals in his food.

Was this an original Slemen story? Was it arse - Recollections of Old Liverpool - Stonehouse came up with this years before Slemen's time!!!

"There once lived a curious person at Low-hill who had peculiar tastes. He built a place which was called ?Rat?s Castle.? It stood on the brink p. 155of a delf, the site of which is now occupied by the Prescot-street Bridewell. This person used to try experiments with food, such as cooking spiders, blackbeetles, rats, cats, mice, and other things not in common use; and, it is said, was wont to play off tricks upon unsuspecting strangers by placing banquets before them that were quite unexpected and unprecedented in the nature and condition of the food."

Blog Entries

He he... reminds me of the Rev. William Buckland who was an eminent geologist, biologist and one of those typical 19th century gentlemen with too much time on their hands. He is said to have eaten his way through the animal kingdom including hedgehogs, leopards, crocodile, bluebottle and the mole - which he thought disgusting. A short biography here.

Recollections of Old Liverpool p. 155 is what Cadfael is on about.

Unfortunately Stonehouse shares one bad habit with Slemen himself - he isn't too fond of referencing his work or telling us where it came from.

If you look at the original MS of "Recollections of Old Liverpool" (in the LRO) its clear that Stonehouse often altered and changed his stories to suit different publications. So I am reluctant to take him as 100% truthful.

I would love to know the origins of this piece of fiction:

Unexplained Mysteries Discussion Forums > The monster lurking in the rubbish chute.

I lived in those flats as did many of my older relatives going back to the 1940s after being bombed out of surrounding streets and none can recall there ever being such a thing or even rumour of such a thing. It's always a christian name or 'a women' or 'some men' - something which cannot be verified.

I've read some of TS's books - and most of the stories are IMO not very good. Some of the well known stories are obviously not based on fact and seem to me to be based on TS's opinion on what probably happened.

Well that's my view anyway.

Default The alibi

Whilst reading about Debz D'Annunzio's new Little Italy book in the Flashback section of the Echo on saturday, I couldn't help notice that alongside it was Tom's weekly column.

It was somewhat strange though that he said he had to change a few surnames and details in the story that followed whilst assuring us that it was true. Anyone know why out of interest. The story also featured an unbelievable piece regarding a detective that guessed a crime before it happened. In the smog that engulfed Liverpool in winter 1952, the detective clearly made out the silhouette of an offender only to find out he was actually dead. Clearly a case then of mistaken identity

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast