Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: London Road Area

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    i dont think land should neccessarily be built on just for the sake of it.Thats been happening for too long now everywhere!.There is too much pressure being put on developers i feel,to just build build build on any spare land people dont like the look of.
    I would like to see some of these areas (grot spots)& we all have them,put to other use such as community allotments,or even just grassed over,if only to improve the appearance of the area.The local authority should force the owners of the land to maintain it,or face financial penalties.
    I don't know if its being done already but someone from the City Council needs to go around identifying land that is looking drab & identifying who owns the land in readiness for 2008.
    Lets concentrate on bringing some of the existing buildings back into use first,before building elsewhere just for the sake of it.
    I do agree with you but In the case of Seymour street/London Road Corner something of Geogian style should be built to make the area look nicer. It is now the main route to get to the station and so the area is now becomming a one of the main places to be. Surely something which is very low key could be constructed?

Renovation wise, well St Mary's Road in Garston would be a good place to start. This once grand throughfare has just deteriorated and deteriorated over the years. Walton has come up again thankfully! And Kensington is starting to now aswell.

Back in the City Centre, the area around the Chinatown Gate needs some work carried out. Big Style. The Chinese Supermarket (?) building on Duke Street (opposite the new piazza) should be knocked down really as it is just a mess and brings the area down. Chinatown in Liverpool is the oldest outside of China and so investment should be pumped into this small area of the city centre in order to bring it up to scratch again. Dare I say it, Manchester's is quite a pleasant place to be with the park and all that. But Liverpool's feels slightly drabby and tired to me (not sure if others feel the same way there!)

On the whole, I think that the City still has a long way to go before things are looking as they should do. Nevertheless, things are being done. Paradise Street is taking shape and the Lime Street Gateway will hopefully commence soon. Just quickly, the Lime Street Gateway is something of interest. They are doing some great things outside of the station, but what about the view when you come out of the station. The St Johns Car Park is the real grot spot on Lime Street! Why cant a mock facade be built around the car park to mask it's uglyness?

PS. I meant Futurist Cinemar and not the Astoria! alpologies for any confusion!

Default LONDON ROAD AREA

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows anything about the building shown below. The

building stands on the corner of Gildart Street near TJ Hughes in Lpl city

centre.

I don't know whether the building is in use. Does anyone

know what it originally was?

rosscampbell17@aol.com

I think that used to be the Co-op.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows anything about the

building shown below. The building stands on the corner of Gildart Street near TJ Hughes in Lpl city

centre.

I don't know whether the building is in use. Does anyone

know what it originally was?

rosscampbell17@aol.com
    Yes, it was the Co-op, but I think it was originally built for

Rubins's who were drapers.
    All the upper floors were converted into student accommodation, but the ground floor remains unused.
    It's one of only a

few art-deco buildings in Liverpool.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 10-31-2006 at 08:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Is T.J Hughes an art deco building?

I don't see the fuss in Art Deco like

buildings.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

The Royal Court, The Philharmonic and The original Liverpool airport building amongst others though are architectural beasts (meant in a good way) There are many more like the Mersey tunnel entrance and ventilation shaft buildings, India Buildings and Martins Bank in Water st. Very stand outish of their time so easily recognisable as is the old Littlewoods building of course. All the 1930s tenement blocks were built in this style in this period too.

In the past week or so hoardings have been put around The Falkland pub (and the couple of buildings next to it). Also that building with all the different artworks in the windows...Anson Street. I don't know if they're getting demolished or refurbished.

Default london road

Does anyone remember Bobby,s shoe shop facing Burtons the tailors. i worked there for a while in the late 60,s,we used to get all the Russian sailors buying about twenty to thirty pairs of shoes each ,because we were one of the only shops that stocked size 8 shoes. The shop belonged to A & B shoe shop in bold street. I must add that the shoes the sailors bought were always white stilettoes (how big must their feet have looked).They were for their wives i think

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by tricia w View Post
    Does anyone remember Bobby,s shoe shop facing Burtons the tailors. i worked there for a while in the late 60,s,we used to get all the Russian sailors buying about twenty to thirty pairs of shoes each ,because we were one of the only shops that stocked size 8 shoes. The shop belonged to A & B shoe shop in bold street. I must add that the shoes the sailors bought were always white stilettoes (how big must their feet have looked).They were for their wives i think
    Don't recall Bobby's Tricia, but that Burtons was where I got my first Made to Measure Crombie coat from. Had to pay back half my pocket money for months to my mum to pay for it. This was when they were still tailors. God I feel so old!

I can't recall that shoeshop Tricia, although if I saw a photo it may jog my memory.
    I remember Burtons. Wasn't there another tailors called 'Jacksons' or 'Brass & Jackson ?' - it was on London rd and I think there may have been another branch on Church st.

Is anyone as ancient as me and can remember 'Nanette's' on London rd ? It was a gown shop - wedding dresses and evening wear.

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Don't recall Bobby's Tricia, but that Burtons was where I got my first Made to Measure Crombie coat from. Had to pay back half my pocket money for months to my mum to pay for it. This was when they were still tailors. God I feel so old!
    Crombies.

The girl mods used to buy their mod gear from Nanette's or C&A's church st.

Then 1969 saw the arrival of the first 'boutiques' in L'pool. 'Shades' (Church st) and 'Amber' (Parker st). The mods would hang around outside listening to the music from the shops and trying to chat up the girl assistants. .

What was that other shop where the guys used to buy their clothes ? .. was it Harry Fentons?

ps,

I've just realised.. we should be on another thread for this I think

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Crombies.

The girl mods used to buy their mod gear from Nanette's or C&A's church st.

Then 1969 saw the arrival of the first 'boutiques' in L'pool. 'Shades' (Church st) and 'Amber' (Parker st). The mods would hang around outside listening to the music from the shops and trying to chat up the girl assistants. .

What was that other shop where the guys used to buy their clothes ? .. was it Harry Fentons?

Got me 1st Made to measure suit from Alexander Tailors on London Rd,Brown Herriingbone..Went well with me Boss Yanky Ben Sherman,Well Better than Today's Bennies..Finished it off with me Como's from Dolcis..Cooooooooool !!!
    The Boss Mens shops were Harold Ian on Lime St..Jonathon Silver London Rd..Tony Harris was OK if you were a Skin..Had some nice Bennies in there..
    Used to be Some nice Mens clothes shops at the Back of Jack Sharp's but I cant remember the Name of them..another one at the Bottom of Mount Pleasant where the Wimpy used to be..Be off then lookin' at the girlies tryin t' look cool when yer must have looked a right soft T**** !!!..... Posin' in Bucks Place and The Babalou or Beechcomber or Chequers with me Cosack hair spray keepin me Bryan Ferry quiff in place !!.....Arrrrrrrrrrr..am I sayin' I used hair spray on Here !!!..Happy days Though.

Wish i Had hair to keep in place these days !!..More a cross between Bob Hoskins and Van Morrison these days !!

PhilipG

Does anybody remember Peacock, a men's boutique at the corner of Dale Street & Stanley Street?
    With big wooden shutters with a peacock painted on them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast