Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Liverpool Cinemas

Default Continental Cinema

Hi Gang,

Just plugged into this thread and it brung up some memories about what I think was the Continental in the Wirral.

I used to frequent this place in the fifties. Can't remember the name but it may well have been the Continental as mentioned by Felicity back on page 11.

It had been a theatre and all the theatre trappings were still in place. Your ticket led you to a numbered seat. When you bought your ticket you could order coffee and biscuits which were brought to your seat in the interval.
    They showed films which were not on general release in the normal cinemas, what we'd now call "Art House" movies. I know it was still there in 59/60? because it was there I saw "Jazz on a summer's day", the documentary about the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival.

A night out there involved a trip on the ferry, a short walk, a good movie in elegant surroundings and a moonlight trip back on the ferry. Especially memorable if one was on a romantic date!

Was it the Continental — any other memories — any pics?

PhilipG

Last edited by PhilipG; 03-19-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Default Continental. Liscard Road

Thanks Phil,

Liscard Road seems about right, in my memory box. Look forward to seeing the pic — hopefully it will dredge up the old nostalgia bug.

Cheers

PhilipG

Last edited by PhilipG; 03-19-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Default Continental cinema

Hi Philip,

Thanks a lot for the info and the pic — shame about the overprinting, but I fully understand, and sympathise with, your wish to protect your photographs.

I"m amazed it didn't start out as a theatre — I'd just assumed it was a converted theatre because everything about the decoration and the whole ambience of the place had the feeling of theatrical beginnings rather than a cinema.

Picking up on other peoples comments — get your book written — yes, it may be a minority interest, but you're adding something to the pool of common knowledge and intellectual diversity — that's got to be a good thing.

Thanks again.

Joge

Especially as it's been mentioned that the only other current offering has mistakes in it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

PhilipG, do you by any chance, have a picture of the Pheonix Cinema, in Wallasey Village, it was a flea pit, but on a saturday morning, it was my world.

PhilipG

Last edited by PhilipG; 03-19-2008 at 09:03 PM.

PhilipG

Last edited by PhilipG; 03-19-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Ah days of my misspent youth,
    Myself, my younger sister, and several friends off to the Saturday morning matinee, several cartoons, and a main feature, King of the rocket men was one of my favourites,
    http://www.moria.co.nz/sf/kingofrocketmen.htm and all for a tanner 6d in old money 2.5 Pence now.

I was living on the Leasow estate at the time and would walk to the cinema getting there nice and early so i could sit right at the front, and in the middle, 2 hours of pure bliss, and all for the priceley sum of a Bob 1s 5 pence in new money, which was my entrence fee an icecream tub and a bag of sweets and a drink. god we were rich then.

as someone on here says in their sig, In the days when we had nothing, we had fun.

Phill just noticed that the pheonix (bird image) is missing it's red neon tubing between its base and the top part, it used to flash on and off in a ripple effect so it looked like flames, I used to stand and watch it for hours.

PhilipG

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phoenix a.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	3586  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 03-19-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Phil. You know amongst other things, I look out for pics of old cinemas for you on my travels, have you got this one of Queens Drive baths as a cinema. It's out of that new book, Played in Liverpool.

...Oh,and the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qu Dr baths as cinema.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	3611  

Childwall Music Lover babayaga321's Avatar

Default GAUMONT, PRINCES PARK

Hi All...

New to this forum....great content within it, and much to take in over the next few weeks.

My Dad was Charlie Seaman... worked as an apprentice projectionist / sweeper upper when he was 16 at The Magnet, Wavertree Road. At the Gaumont, Princes Park he was projectionist... my Mum worked as an usherette, and my Aunt was the Manager's Assistant. Dad went on to work as Cheif Projectionist at the Hippodrome on the Hill; completing stand-in stints for Rank at the Odeon Liverpool, and also the Odeon Chester. His time with Rank finished when they closed the Odeon, Stanley Road, Bootle. He then went on to work for Star when they opened the new 051 complex in Mount Pleasant.

Sadly Dad is not with us anymore. Memories for me which put a smile on my face.....

1) Gaumont - being allowed to bring loads of mates to the matinees with me when I was 7 for free, and getting free drinks and ice-creams. I only found out afterward that my Mum and Dad had to pay the bill afterward....!

2) Hippodrome - Dad took me out onto the roof of the cinema as we heard a radio news bulletin that what remained of New Brighton tower complex was on fire. I can still recall seeing the smoke rising up over the river....

3) Odeon, Bootle - I actually ran a matinee show when I was 15 as my Dad was too ill to do it himself. He sat in a chair at the back of the projection box and told me what to do and to look out for '..Link...Motor....Change!' Pure cinematic rock n'roll!!!

4) 051 - Being introduced to huge reels attached to projectors which had a complete day's show on them, and didn't require changing. Also being introduced to 'mucky films' rather than the more family-oriented ones that I'd been used to. Nice to note that C4 has shown much worse in the intervening years...! :-)

I've digitised a few of Dad's cinematic photographs that I can let you have a look at if anyone is interested?

Cheers - Graham, Childwall.

Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast