Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Liverpool Cinemas

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Are there many left,after the fag ban?
    Well, I know where a cpl are and they have national prize games now. Would rather go the bingo at the fair anyday

George

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Crosby Plaza Cinema celebrates its 70th anniversary
    Sep 3 2009
    by Laura Sharpe, Liverpool Daily Post

A MERSEYSIDE cinema that has fought for survival for the last 70 years will celebrate its anniversary by showing a film that, like itself, was almost lost to the cutting-room floor of history.

This weekend, audiences at the much-loved Crosby Plaza Cinema will be transported back to when the cinema first opened its doors in 1939.

Cinema staff will be dressed in 1940s costumes for a special screening of the 70-year-old Wizard of Oz.
    Bet yer a choc-ice was still at todays prices though.

I'm sure they were George,but a fair price to pay for a local, cinema! How they've managed to keep going,till now,is a tribute to all involved,and though I dont go to the cinema much,when I do,it's there!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    I'm sure they were George,but a fair price to pay for a local, cinema! How they've managed to keep going,till now,is a tribute to all involved,and though I dont go to the cinema much,when I do,it's there!
    and long may it continue

Recently came across the second pic' of two,of the "Palais de Luxe",which was in Lime st,almost next door to the Forum/ABC! The odd thing is,no-one seems to remember it,though It only went in the early 60's!(I think) And, also,that there had been another cinema, with the same name,(which may have been bombed in WW2 ?)for many years before! Anyone here, have any stories, or info'?

pic's courtesy of L.R.O.
    Last edited by wsteve55; 09-19-2009 at 10:04 PM.

My pa in law remembers it and in fact only mentioned it last week on hol when he was having trouble reading the words to the karaoke song he was singing as the portable telly was that small. He remarked it was like being in the palais de luxe - as apparently it only had a very small screen.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

My nan used to talk about the Palais de Luxe.

I just asked my dad .. he remembers it too and says it had a small screen.

The Palais de Luxe started life as a theatre, The Grand Tivoli, opening in December 1908. The name was changed in 1911. Pictures with the bioscope interspersed with acts. When it became a full time cinema is uncertain, but there was no space for the orchestra, which had to be placed on a gallery above the procsenium. The conductor watched the screen through a large mirror! Sound was introduced in 1930, but the gallery remained, unseen by most people.
    Although damaged by bombs in the Second World War, a major fire in June 1951, resulted in reconstruction with the modern tiled facade. With a narrow proscenium, it was not suitable for wide screen films and declining admissions forced it's closure on 24 October 1959.
    The site was re-developed with shops, a return to it's pre 1847 use, before entertainment buildings.
    You take them for granted - until one day they're gone!

Thank you Sirob.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks Sirob,and all,
    some great info' there,and looking at the older pic',it does look like a traditional theatre! I wasn't sure of the date of the first pic',but checking the date of introduction of Triumph Herald's,gave me 1959, so that one must be brand new!

Liverpool cinema building up for sale
    29 Sep 2009, 15:21
    Michael Hunt

A vacant former cinema and bingo hall at the junction of Park Road and Dingle Lane has been brought onto the market for investment opportunities.

The 13,544 sq ft building is currently subject to agreements with Orange, T Mobile, O2 and City Outdoor which produce a combined rental income of ?51,079.33 per annum.

Orange has a 20-year agreement from 1 July 2002 at a passing rent of ?11,765.04 per annum subject to five yearly rent reviews.

T Mobile also has 20-year agreement from 4 March 2003 at a passing rent of ?11,790.30 per annum subject to five yearly rent reviews.

O2 has 15-year lease from 9 August 2003 at a passing rent of ?15,523.99 per annum subject to five yearly rent reviews.

City Outdoor has agreed a three-year licence from 1 October this year at a passing rent of ?12,000 per annum.

Paul Parker, a principal surveyor at the Liverpool office for selling agents Edward Symmons, said: "Our client is seeking offers for the freehold interest or the rights to the rental income at a guide price of ?500,000."

The property was built in 1937 and includes a basement, ground and four upper floors.

Source: Place North West

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Thumbs up

Tonights Nostalgia show on Radio Merseyside at 10pm is all about Liverpool Cinemas.

Ged - I've only just now seen your photo on post #688. Absolutely brilliant, thanks for adding it.
    Reminds me of work though...
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ross08 View Post
    It's a bit of a long-shot this one, but has anybody got any information on the building that is now the Mecca Bingo in Chester city centre.
    It's probably been a cinema or theatre, I would think - and I'd say it's older than most (i.e pre-thirties)....
    I'd be grateful if anybody could shed some light.
    Hi there. Sorry this is a bit late- only just seen your request...

Anyway, that was the Gaumont Palace, Chester's first 'super cinema' which opened in 1931.

You can read a little about it, and see some pictures, on my website here-

http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/cinema3.html

If anyone out there's got pics and info about anything Chester I'd love to hear from them!
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Former Granada Cinema, East Prescot Road, Dovecot

Former Clubmoor Picture House, Townsend Lane, Clubmoor

My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast