Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Liverpool Cinemas

Blog Entries

Nice one Ross.

And just to tie this into another popular thread on Yo, The Julia Wallace murder case. The clubmoor picture house is where Lily Lloyd played piano. It was she who gave Parry his alibi she later retracted.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default The Drill Hall (later Palace Cinema) - Winsford.

OK, this one's from out of town - but I thought I'd share it with you all anyway.

I came across the former Palace Cinema in Winsford this afternoon...

The Drill Hall in Dingle Lane was built by James Fowles and Sons of Winsford and was officially opened on 26th June 1901 by Lord Dundonald. The 3rd Volunteer Brigade of Winsford used it for their drill practices after returning from South Africa where they had supported the regular troops. By 1935 it no longer rang to military commands and had been converted into the Palace Cinema.
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Took this yesterday, the Carlton, Green Lane.
    Wonder when something is going to happen regarding this cinema ?? It's been pending for years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Lane, Carlt&#.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	884.2 KB 
ID:	14154  

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Wonder when something is going to happen regarding this cinema ?? It's been pending for years.
    Hi
    I see that it has been re boarded recently. There are actualy some pic,s of the inside on
    28 days later, and it shows the projectors are still there. I will ask my contact in planning
    what is happening

Steve

Blog Entries

My Mam was a cleaner in the Carlton during the war & used to get a free pass for 2 every month & she took me to see the best films in the best seats on the balcony , like 'The Great Waltz' etc. & the organist who played , sheer luxury . Ron

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Hi

my contact in planning told me this

An application was submitted in 2008 to develop the former Coconut Grove and Lords P.H., West Derby Road/Green Lane. The proposal was to erect part five/part six/part seven-storey building comprising 80 no. apartments with mixed commercial/retail space (within use classes A1, A2, A3, A4, and B1), together with associated basement car parking and ancillary works.

This was granted planning permission by Planning Committee on 09/09/2008 subject to the applicant signing a legal agreement. This, as yet, is still ongoing.

Regards

Is this anything to do with "Maghull"developments,who have more than a couple of stalled projects,at the moment?!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Is this anything to do with "Maghull"developments,who have more than a couple of stalled projects,at the moment?!
    not as far as I know. My own opinion is for the council to give a
    deadline, and if not met, compulsory purchase it. I mean 25 years
    is a bit silly for the place to be empty

There was once a couple of cinemas in Prescot. Not sure what they were called But found this programme titled The Premier at The Parish Rooms in Prescot. I couldnt find any pics of it, but have found this programme. Also a pic of the site of the old Mayfair cinema in Derby Road Huyton, It is where Boots store now stands, you can still see part of the cinema above Boots.

Name:	mus1982_20_2..jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	14263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2993457712_108db0b6.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	14264  

Default Regent Cinema Old Swan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regent cinema..jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	14265
    The former Kwiksave building in Old Swan has just been demolished. The building was adjacent to the Regent Cinema which was independently owned by Wilkinson's funeral directors. In 1926, Robert Wilkinson formed the Regent Cinema Co. and the 1140 seater cinema was opened in October of that year and demolished in late 60's. Does anyone know what the Kwiksave building was prior to being a car showroom? It looks like it too may have been an early cinema.
    Last edited by Pinhani; 03-26-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Hi

my contact in planning told me this

An application was submitted in 2008 to develop the former Coconut Grove and Lords P.H., West Derby Road/Green Lane. The proposal was to erect part five/part six/part seven-storey building comprising 80 no. apartments with mixed commercial/retail space (within use classes A1, A2, A3, A4, and B1), together with associated basement car parking and ancillary works.

This was granted planning permission by Planning Committee on 09/09/2008 subject to the applicant signing a legal agreement. This, as yet, is still ongoing.

Regards
    Thanks for info Steve

Default The Commodore Cinema, Stanley Road Bootle

Hi there,

I'm doing research about The Commodore Cinema (now Armadillo self-storage) on Stanley Road, Bootle. The research is for my Final MA Fine Art Project - I'm interested in finding out about the building in its use as a cinema - does anyone know of any good contacts or other sites that I could follow up?

All the best,

Clare

Quote Originally Posted by Pinhani View Post
    Does anyone know what the Kwiksave building was prior to being a car showroom? It looks like it too may have been an early cinema.
    It was the 'old' Regent. The forerunner to the Regent cinema that had its doorway in Baden Rd. A trip to Old Swan library might be a good source for photos.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Hi there,

I'm doing research about The Commodore Cinema (now Armadillo self-storage) on Stanley Road, Bootle. The research is for my Final MA Fine Art Project - I'm interested in finding out about the building in its use as a cinema - does anyone know of any good contacts or other sites that I could follow up?

All the best,

Clare
    PM me and I can give you the information that you seek

Name:	c1518..JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	787.3 KB 
ID:	14693  
    You take them for granted - until one day they're gone!

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast