Thread: Tom Murphy

scouserdave

Default Tom Murphy

Liverpool

sculptor well known for his Bill Shankly, Dixie Dean, Blitz, Sir John & Cecil Moores statues plus many other works. Haven't heard any recent news on his

Poseidon Project. I love his stuff.

BTW, his cafe across the road from the Newsham Park police station is open. Pat Neil from Liverpool Monuments took

some shots there a couple of days ago.
    http://www.liverpoolmonuments.co.uk/...artcafe01.html

I'm hoping to do bit of work with

Tom's son Ben when we both get a quiet time. I've told him that I must have a photie of me standing next to his oul feller

scouserdave

Had a lovely breakfast at Tom Murphy's cafe yesterday. Met up with the great man

himself (pictured). I found this Lennon cast in the back of their kitchen! Told him and his missus that they should have it on the cafe

wall.

[IMG]http://www.

liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/tm003.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing these SD, never seen the great man in the flesh before. Maybe we could organise a

visit to one of his work shops in the future.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Haven't heard any recent news on his Poseidon Project.
    Have you read this? (not sure how upto date the info is)

The full extent of plans to give the Mersey an icon to match any of the world's great monuments can be revealed here.

It is hoped that the massive figure will be in place before 2007. The statue, dubbed the Wonder of the West, would be a solid symbol of Merseyside's maritime glorious tradition.

Sculpture Tom Murphy revealed that the inside of his statue, to be entered by a huge umbilical cord, would have exhibition halls, a marine life gallery, a well filled by the tide, stairways and escalators; all rising to the head with it's huge eyes, under a globe clasped in the giant's hand, which will give tourists a magnificent view of the river, Liverpool waterfront, the Wirral coastline and North Wales.

The proposed completion date coincides with the 800th anniversary of Liverpool being granted its Royal Charter by King John, and would lead into 2008. But the idea is for the 180ft high structure to be located on the other bank of the Mersey at New Brighton.

Wirral Borough Council has codenamed Tom's great ambition, the Poseidon Project. The council sees the statue as part of its wider Neptune redevelopment proposals for the New Brighton area, which would involve £70m of investment and create an estimated 500 jobs. The work would run from next year until 2007.

But the statue is by far the most ambitious part of that programme.
    The North West Development Agency is already enthusiastic about the idea, noting its Coastal Resorts Strategy: "An interesting idea has been developed for a beacon attraction at the mouth of the Mersey at New Brighton... A 180ft statue of Poseidon - representing the quintessential maritime nature of the idea and the importance of the sea to the sub-region.

"Like the Statue of Liberty, it would have internal access and an exhibition space. The proposed statue does appear to have more chance than normal of being truly iconic especially if it could be positioned as a twin to the Statue of Liberty. The interior could be used, for example, to tell the story of, and record the names of, people who emigrated to the New World through Liverpool."

To Tom 54, he sees the statues rise from the Mersey as a personal dream.

As a man with a proven record, with sculptures such as John Lennon and Bill Shankly under his belt, he recognises that the cost of at least £15m could be a problem. But he points out that the cost of Cloud, the controversial Fourth Grace proposed for the Liverpool waterfront, is estimated at £200m.

Tom said: "The idea for it to be a catalyst for the whole region - expression of our belief in what has happened here in the past and what it promises for the future.

"When people enter the giant's globe, it will be like a bubble with everything transparent, giving the sensation of walking in space.

"The Mersey is our greatest natural asset - gateway to the world, so it needs a great monument."

(Extracts from The Daily Post Article by David Charters)
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Hi Kev

My initial reaction is that such a statue should be in Liverpool but I can well see the reasoning that it makes sense to have such a statue and museum at the mouth of the Mersey to commemorate the major role the river has played over the centuries in shipping and shipbuilding. It would then be along the same lines as New Brighton Tower, which was the eyecatching "Wonder" of the early years of the Twentieth Century.

Chris

From "Lost Wonders"
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Chris, those pics make me feel sad, how on earth did we loose that and bigger then Blackpool, yes I know it was a fire or something but still.....

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

That's a great picture of the Tower. Thanks Chris.