Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Local Facts.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Yep. Dionne Warwick had success in the United States, but wasn't released here. Most people had never heard of the Dionne Warwick's version.

Cilla Black had a hit with That Lovin Feelin and it charted at the same time as the Righteous Brothers version. Both in the top 5 I think at the same time.
    My Mum always had a preference for uptempo music and she could knock out a mean boogie woogie on the piano we had in the parlour of our house in Hughes St! (just thought of a new thread!) However, one her favourite songs was The Righteous Brothers You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
    Last edited by scouserdave; 11-29-2006 at 02:14 PM. Reason: added link to new thread

Ernie Shavers the man who in 1977 went 15 punishing rounds with Muhammad Ali at Madison Square Garden, New York, now works a couple of nights a week on the door at Yates' Wine Lodge in Queen Square, Liverpool.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Ernie Shavers the man who in 1977 went 15 punishing rounds with Muhammad Ali at Madison Square Garden, New York, now works a couple of nights a week on the door at Yates' Wine Lodge in Queen Square, Liverpool.
    You're kidding! Wow, I never knew that. He was a cracking boxer. Deffo have to get a pic of him. Nice one Paul

BTW, did you know John H Stracey lives on Wirral? I only found out a couple of months back when I was chatting to Ricky Tomlinson's agent who does a bit of work for him.

Dave he's really pleasant he holds the door open for you and everything which to me feels a bit mad considering who he is,if you're lucky enough to see him don't forget to post your pictures here.

When Wayne Rooney and Francis Jeffers led the line for England in a friendly a couple of years back they become the first strikers to play for an England team at the same time having attended the same school,that school was De La Salle in Croxteth.

Another footballing first.

When Wayne Rooney and Francis Jeffers led the line for England in a friendly a couple of years back they become the first strikers to play for an England team at the same time having attended the same school,that school was De La Salle in Croxteth.

Another footballing first.
    Talking of which I caught somewhere that Wayne Rooney is from Toxteth. So should he be in the Famous Scousers from Toxteth thread? Or did the person who thought that have Croxteth mixed up with Toxteth?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Talking of which I caught somewhere that Wayne Rooney is from Toxteth. So should he be in the Famous Scousers from Toxteth thread? Or did the person who thought that have Croxteth mixed up with Toxteth?

Chris
    Yes it's definitely Croxteth,they done a whole documentary on him once banging on about his poor upbringing and the Toxteth riots etc and he's not even from there. just another excuse to show Liverpool in a bad light in my opinion.

Everton de Viña del Mar, is a Chilean football club based in the city of Viña del Mar. The club was founded June 24, 1909 (named after Everton F.C. of England) and plays in the first division of the Chilean football league. Their home games are played at the Sausalito stadium, which has a capacity of approximately 25,000 seats.

There is a Liverpool FC in Urguguay. They were named after several English teams toured there and it was decided to opt for Liverpool as like Montevideo it was a port. They play in black and blue stripes at the 8000 capacity Belvedere stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    There is a Liverpool FC in Urguguay. They were named after several English teams toured there and it was decided to opt for Liverpool as like Montevideo it was a port. They play in black and blue stripes at the 8000 capacity Belvedere stadium.
    I didn't know that Ste nice one it was inevitable there would be one somewhere.

Whereas Everton are one of the major clubs in Chile Liverpool are very much in the shadow of the 2 Uruguayan giants of Nacional and Penarol. They havent won a thing in the history.

Blog Entries

Everton de Viña del Mar, is a Chilean football club based in the city of Viña del Mar. The club was founded June 24, 1909 (named after Everton F.C. of England) and plays in the first division of the Chilean football league. Their home games are played at the Sausalito stadium, which has a capacity of approximately 25,000 seats.
    Like GP the stadium has held a world cup semi-final.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Everton de Viña del Mar, is a Chilean football club based in the city of Viña del Mar.
    "Vina" is a suburb of Valparaiso. I have watched Everton (The Rouleteiros) play O'Higgins and a local derby against Wanderers of Valparaiso. I love the stadium, small but, if the game gets boring the views from the stands are fantastic.

I have also watched Liverpool play Danubio and the team from Fray Bentos (forgot it's name) in Uruguay.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 12-04-2006 at 03:42 AM.

Hi all

There are a number of football teams in Australia named after Liverpool. For example in New South Wales alone, there is:

Liverpool Albion
    Liverpool Bossy
    Liverpool City
    Liverpool Olympic
    Liverpool United

See http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/Clubs/ClubIndex.html#L for more info and links.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Bob Marley's dad was an Army Captain from Liverpool.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast