Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Local Facts.

Thanks Sloyne/Chris for that they're some stories that we can be proud of has anyone got

anymore?

Hi Paul

Thanks, Paul. We probably need a page for Liverpool dragoon commander and MP

General Sir Banastre Tarleton. As a lieutenant colonel in the British Army he was commander of the "British

Legion" made up of American loyalists in the southern campaigns of the American Revolution. He remains a controversial figure in the United States for his

supposed brutal tactics, most famously at the alleged massacre at Waxhaws in South Carolina. Another thing that makes him controversial is that as MP,

coming from a slave-trading family, he defended slavery in Parliament. Thus the Tarleton name came up at the time of the recent proposal rename Liverpool

streets that had connections to slavery, there being both a Tarleton Street and a Banastre Street in Liverpool. His father had been mayor of Liverpool in

the 1760's and both his father and brother engaged in the slave trade. He was also in the news because a descendent recently auctioned off some

American militia flags captured by Tarleton through Sotheby's in New York for a phenomenal

price.

Best regards

Chris George
    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 11-06-2006 at 02:36 PM.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

The Hollywood film The

Patriot also showed him in a bad light I seem to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul

D;23620
    The Hollywood film The Patriot also showed him in a bad light I seem to remember.
    Yes the fictional character of Tavington, played by

Liverpool-born actor Jason Isaacs was based on Tarleton.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Paul

Thanks, Paul. We probably need a page for Liverpool dragoon commander and MP

General Sir Banastre Tarleton.
    Yes Chris and more. I know a little (very little) of this mans biography

and would appreciate hearing more. If you have the time, why not start a thread on Tarleton? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    To bolster the meagre, mostly Canadian militia and Indian forces at Niagara, the Kingsmen marched from Fort York to Niagara

arriving at dusk on the evening of July 24, 1814. The American force, led by Generals Jacob Brown and Winfield Scott, attacked the British regiment, the

Kings Liverpool, while they where bivouacing behind the cemetery on Lundy's Lane. The battle raged throughout the hot a humid night with many casaulties on

both sides. Close to dawn the fighting abated and when daylight came it could be seen that the Americans had left the field to the British and were in full

retreat across the Niagara River. This was the last and most decisive battle of the War of 1812 and was the battle that broke the will of the invading

Americans. The Americans, in attacking Canada, sought to take advantage of Britains pre-occupation with Napoleon. After this battle Britain was able to

concentrate on defeating the French Emperor Napoleon Boneparte and did defeat him the following year at Waterloo in Belgium.

It was for the Battle of

Lundy's Lane that the King, George III, awarded the Kings Liverpool Regiment the "White Horse of Hanover" to wear as a honour in thier cap.

PS:

Artifacts from this battle can be seen at the small museum dedicated to the battle in Niagara Falls, Ontario. A letter writen by one of the 'Kings

Liverpool' soldiers to his sweetheart in Liverpool, a Miss Dolly Lunt, is/was on display in the National Museum of Canada in Ottawa.
    Hi

Sloyne

Thanks for this helpful information... great stuff. One little note of correction, at the time of the Battle of Lundy's Lane, Napoleon was in

exile on the Island of Elba and thus out of commission. His captivity on Elba enabled some 10,000 British troops to be sent to North America, around 4,000

to the Chesapeake under Major General Robert Ross and 6,000 to be placed under the command of Major General Sir George Prevost in Canada. It was the

September 1814 twin defeat of the British thrusts against Baltimore, after the burning of Washington, D.C., by Ross, and the one down the Champlain Valley by

Prevost, which forced the British government under Robert Jenkinson, second Lord

Liverpool
    to conclude peace in Ghent, Belgium, in December. The American victory at New Orleans occurred January 1815 after peace was concluded but

not ratified by the government of President James Madison.

Napoleon's final defeat came at Waterloo after he escaped from Elba and reigned for a 100

days and then was sent into his final exile on the South Atlantic island of St. Helena, where he died in 1822, allegedly, some claim, by poison administered

either by an agent of the French monarchy or by his British captors.

Chris

P.S., yes, Sloyne, I will start a thread on General Sir Banastre

Tarleton shortly.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Hi Sloyne

Thanks for this helpful

information... great stuff. One little note of correction, at the time of the Battle of Lundy's Lane, Napoleon was in exile on the Island of Elba and thus

out of commission. His captivity on Elba enabled some 10,000 British troops to be sent to North America, around 4,000 to the Chesapeake under Major General

Robert Ross and 6,000 to be placed under the command of Major General Sir George Prevost in Canada. It was the September 1814 twin defeat of the British

thrusts against Baltimore, after the burning of Washington, D.C., by Ross, and the one down the Champlain Valley by Prevost, which forced the British

government under Robert Jenkinson, second Lord Liverpool to conclude peace in

Ghent, Belgium, in December. The American victory at New Orleans occurred January 1815 after peace was concluded but not ratified by the government of

President James Madison.

Napoleon's final defeat came at Waterloo after he escaped from Elba and reigned for a 100 days and then was sent into his

final exile on the South Atlantic island of St. Helena, where he died in 1822, allegedly, some claim, by poison administered either by an agent of the French

monarchy or by his British captors.

Chris

P.S., yes, Sloyne, I will start a thread on General Sir Banastre Tarleton

shortly.
    Napoleon died from the gasses given off by the wallpaper adhesive of the time - or it made him sick anyway.

The war of 1812

the Yanks think they won or was a draw. The 1812 war, the British WON. The US declared war on Britain and Britain took the war right into the US, and even

into the White House - the Shropshire Light Infantry burnt the place down after having dinner there. Must have been an early MacDs, so that would want you to

burn the place down.

The 5th line of the US national anthem,
    "and the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air",
    describes the British

rocket regiments and rocket ships attacking Fort McHenry. The British pulled out of the USA when they achieved their aim - stopped the US from infiltrating

and making claims on Canada. The Brits didn't want the USA, if they did they could have just taken it. After just defeating Napoleon nothing was going to

stop them.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Napoleon was in exile on the Island of Elba/then was sent

into his final exile on the South Atlantic island of St. Helen
    Just as a point of interest, I have visited both islands. My first time on St. Helena

was in 1959 and my return was just two years ago. Quite an awkward place to reach but, well worth the effort. Thanks for the corrections and I am looking

forward to your submission on Tarleton.

Emilia di Liverpool (Emilia of Liverpool) is a dramma semiseria, ("half-serious")

dramatic opera, in two acts by Gaetano Donizetti. Giuseppe Ceccherini wrote the Italian libretto after the anonymous libretto for Vittorio Trento's Emilia

di Laverpaut, itself based on Stefano Scatizzi's play of the same name. It premiered on July 28, 1824 at the Teatro Nuovo,

Naples.

Liverpool's very own 19th century opera

is having it's first staged performance for more than 170 years in the city.

Donizetti's Emilia Di Liverpool is being performed at the Royal Court

Theatre this month by a local opera company.
    Producer Una McAuley and music critic Lyn Walker join Jenni to talk about the production. Soprano Sam Wright

will perform an extract from the opera.
    Emilia Di Liverpool runs at the Royal Court Theatre, Liverpool from 24th until 27th July.Box Office: 0151 709

How many cities can claim to have an opera written about them by a foreigner.

Hi Paul

I have

heard Donizetti's "Emilia di Liverpool" ("Emilia of Liverpool"). He has parts in the opera for the Mountaineers of Liverpool. Shows he never visited the

place.

"My favourite geographical mistake in the arts is Emilia di Liverpool, a 19th century opera by Gaetano Donizetti. Described by the

present-day The Times reviewer as having 'charm and improbability in equal proportion', Emilia di Liverpool is set among the mountains of Liverpool,

and mentions the limpid River Mersey and the 'Liverpool mountaineers'. (For non-UK readers with no geography, Liverpool is a port city on flat land and the

Mersey a busy and polluted shipping lane; and it probably wasn't much different in the early 19th century when Donizetti wrote the opera)."

Apothecary's Drawer Weblog April 2001

Donizetti's "Emilia di Liverpool" after a century in

obscurity was performed on 12 June 1958 in a concert version by the Liverpool Music Group conducted by Fritz Spiegl as part of the celebration of the city's

750th anniversary. (Jeremy Commons, "Emilia di Liverpool," Music &

Letters, Vol. 40, No. 3 (Jul., 1959), pp. 207-228).

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

I did realise

he'd never been here but it's still a coup though it just an example of Liverpool's Global fame.

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

The World's* largest ever

outdoor gig for a single** artist- Wacko at Aintree.

*I think it is the World's rather than just Europe's
    **Could be the largest for a 'solo'

artist rather than for just one act-ok I'm bein lazy here and should check the facts on his site which is where I got the info from but I know it's still

the World's largest gig for one of those two.

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    The World's* largest ever outdoor gig for a single** artist- Wacko at Aintree.

*I think it is the World's rather than just Europe's
    **Could be the largest for a 'solo' artist rather than for just one act-ok I'm bein lazy here and should check the facts on his site which is where I got the info from but I know it's still the World's largest gig for one of those two.
    I think it was for a solo singer Jean Michel Jarre plays to millions,I think Robbie Williams has well beat that now.

Candyman

Based on a Liverpudlian urban legend and first put into story form in Clive Barker's short story "The Forbidden," in the book In the Flesh. The original story was set in Liverpool.

So Candyman was originally set here.

The Royal Navy battleship "The Prince of Wales" was adopted by the city of Liverpool whos citizens had raised the full building cost of £10 Million-a staggering £280 Million in todays money.

The ship was built at Cammell Lairds between 1937/41 was with HMS Hood when when the ship was sunk by the enemy battleship "Bismarck" off Iceland in May.

During the action,two shells from The Prince of Wales damaged the Bismarcks fuel tanks.This caused a large oil slick which led to the German warship being hunted down and sunk.

On December 8th The Prince of Wales left Singapore with 4 destroyers but with no air cover,two days later it was attacked and sunk.Although the ship is now a designated war grave,it was feared the bell might be stolen by unauthorised divers,the bell from the Prince of Wales in on display at the Merseyside Maritime Museum.

A Liverpool link to the sinking of the Legendary Bismarck.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast