Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Local Facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I don't know. I was reading it once. It wasn't recently. 80s, 90s.
    As a Cilla fan, and personal friend, I am pleased for her success and wish her every further success in the future, however, and contrary to your assertions, Cilla is a virtual unknown in North America. it is to our loss, I'm sure but, wishing otherwise doesn't make it so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    As a Cilla fan, and personal friend, I am pleased for her success and wish her every further success in the future, however, and contrary to your assertions, Cilla is a virtual unknown in North America. it is to our loss, I'm sure but, wishing otherwise doesn't make it so.
    I wasn't saying she is well known. She was in the 1960s and even had a hit record. Cilla was not that interested in the slog to make it big there. She did that stint at the NY hotel but never liked staying there. She wasn't interested in subsequent tours, etc.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

I'm sorry I mentioned Cilla now.

I wasn't saying she is well known. She was in the 1960s and even had a hit record.
    Cilla had one recording that entered the US charts but never made it into the top five. That song was "Your my World". Understandable when you know that Cilla's competition was Dionne Warwick, who recorded mostly the same material, Burt Baccharach and Hal David music. Dusty Springfield was more of a success, in the US, than was Cilla yet, she was a virtual unknown in this market. No Waterways, wishing for something doesn't make it so.

I think Vera Lynn was the first popular trans-Atlantic star, being very popular with UK based GI's, but even she didn't make it big in the US. Understandable when you consider the competition, competition like Helen O'Connel, Judy Garland, Jo Stafford, Patti Page, Doris Day, Lena Horne, Rosey Clooney, Ella Fitzgerald, etc. I think the first British female singer to make it big in the US was the Cardiff born singer Shirley Bassey.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    Cilla had one recording that entered the US charts but never made it into the top five. That song was "Your my World". Understandable when you know that Cilla's competition was Dionne Warwick, who recorded mostly the same material, Burt Baccharach and Hal David music. Dusty Springfield was more of a success, in the US, than was Cilla yet, she was a virtual unknown in this market. No Waterways, wishing for something doesn't make it so.
    Dusty Springfield's success was after Cilla's 1965 stint. Very late 1960s/early 1970s. The white Queen of Soul. In the mid 1960s she was still with the Springfields.

I think Vera Lynn was the first popular trans-Atlantic star,
    No. Lilly Langtree in the 1800s. The world's first superstar.

being very popular with UK based GI's, but even she didn't make it big in the US. Understandable when you consider the competition, competition like Helen O'Connel, Judy Garland, Jo Stafford, Patti Page, Doris Day, Lena Horne, Rosey Clooney, Ella Fitzgerald, etc.
    Vera Lynn was a very different singer than all those. More like your Ma singing.

I think the first British female singer to make it big in the US was the Cardiff born singer Shirley Bassey.
    The second. To make it big in the US in those days, you have to do the tours and TV shows, etc, otherwise nothing at all - Dusty was resident in the USA. Cilla didn't do it. If the Stones had not toured constantly in the US they would never have been as big as they are. You have to follow their system.

how it once was?

Dusty Springfield's success was after Cilla's 1965 stint. Very late 1960s/early 1970s. The white Queen of Soul. In the mid 1960s she was still with the Springfields.

Hello Waterways

Actually Dusty Springfield's first success slightly preceded Cilla in achieving worldwide fame with "I Only Want To Be With You" one of her biggest hits in 1963. Although Cilla recorded "Love of the Loved" released September 1963, her first success was "Anyone Who Had a Heart" released January 31, 1964. Dusty left the Springfields in 1962. You are correct that Dusty remained an international star in the late 1960's when her career got a new lease on life with the release of the album "Dusty in Memphis." See http://www.dustyspringfield.nu/ and http://www.cillablack.com/music-singles.htm

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hello Waterways

Actually Dusty Springfield's first success slightly preceded Cilla in achieving worldwide fame with "I Only Want To Be With You" one of her biggest hits in 1963. Although Cilla recorded "Love of the Loved" released September 1963, her first success was "Anyone Who Had a Heart" released January 31, 1964. Dusty left the Springfields in 1962. You are correct that Dusty remained an international star in the late 1960's when her career got a new lease on life with the release of the album "Dusty in Memphis." See http://www.dustyspringfield.nu/ and http://www.cillablack.com/music-singles.htm

Chris
    I was out by a few years with the Springfields - it was actualy 1963 not 62. Once the Beatles came along everything before was old hat, so many had to re-invent themselves. Dusty aimed for the US market and lived there eventually. Cilla would not live there. Dusty was ill from the stress of the US circuit which Cilla would not do.

When Dusty went to Memphis she changed her style and hit a niche which no other had done.

how it once was?

Chuck Berry spent much of 1962 and all of 1963 in jail after being convicted on a Mann Act charge. When he emerged in January of 1964, the popular music landscape had been forever changed by the British Invasion. Fortunately artists like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones worshipped the founding father of rock 'n' roll. [The stones included "Carol" on their 1964 debut, and the Beatles included a cover of "Roll Over Beethoven" the same year on their second U.S. album.] Berry used this momentum to go into the studio to cut one of the strongest albums of his career. In addition to the hits "No Particular Place to Go" (No. 10), "You Never Can Tell" (No. 14), and "Little Marie" (a sequel to "Memphis" that went to No. 54), it also includes the standard "Promised Land." To some extent, this is Berry's final hurrah. A year after the album's release, he turns forty, and the elder statesman of rock seems to have lost much of his drive. He has one final hit (the double entendre novelty song "My Ding-A Ling" goes No. 1 in 1972), but by then Berry seems content to spend the remainder of his career on the oldies circuit. But ST. LOUIS TO LIVERPOOL is classic Berry, and it's made even better with the addition of three bonus tracks: "Fraulein," "The Little Girl From Central" and "O'Rangutang." If you need proof that Berry was still a vital artist after the British Invasion, this album proves it beyond a doubt.

Track Listings
    1. Little Marie
    2. Our Little Rendezvous
    3. No Particular Place to Go
    4. You Two
    5. Promised Land
    6. You Never Can Tell
    7. Go Bobby Soxer
    8. Things I Used to Do
    9. Liverpool Drive
    10. Night Beat
    11. Merry Christmas, Baby
    12. Brenda Lee
    13. Fraulein[*]
    14. Little Girl from Central[*]
    15. O'Rangutang

Blog Entries

Ok, 5 years after the Norris Green estate was built, its population was as great as Shewsburys, that's a lot of peeps.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Hi Paul D

Thanks for that information about Chuck Berry. I remember him as an acclaimed artist even after the success of the Beatles and other new groups and that he had several songs that charted in the new era.

The following review is from Wilson & Alroy's Record Reviews

St. Louis To Liverpool (1964)

Likely his last solid album, with four big deal hits: "Little Marie" (a sequel to "Memphis"), "No Particular Place To Go," "Promised Land" and "You Never Can Tell." Each has clever lyrics, though they're all rehashes of his classic sound, and a couple of other tunes are even more blatant ("Go Bobby Soxer," which manages to reuse bits and pieces from half a dozen Berry songs). As usual, he stretches most on the instrumentals: "Liverpool Drive" has some manic soloing though the title seems purely inspired by marketing rather than any audible Mop Top influence; "Night Beat" does live up to its name, a quietly desperate evocation of a nightclub after closing. Everything's by Chuck except for covers of "Merry Christmas Baby" and Elmore James's "Things I Used To Do"; my LP doesn't list a producer or sidemen, but I assume Johnnie Johnson was still pounding the keys. (DBW)

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

The longest goal ever scored in top flight football happened at Anfield when Ian St. John scored directly from Hunt's cross.

very good
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Ok, 5 years after the Norris Green estate was built, its population was as great as Shewsburys, that's a lot of peeps.
    It's also the biggest council estate in Western Europe and West Derby sorting office covers the biggest area in Western Europe.

The first known individual with partially human characteristics is a little Australopithecus female called Lucy. She was given that name some 3 million years after her death. It was borrowed from the Beatles hit Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Lucy's almost complete fossilized skeleton was discovered in Ethiopia in 1974. Although fully grown, she was only about 107cm (3'6') tall.

William Henry Finlay was born in Liverpool England on 17th June 1849 and was a South African astronomer.He was a first assistant at the Royal observatory in Cape Town in the years 1873 to 1898.
    He was also at the same time a first astronomer,who saw the large September comet in 1882.This happened on the 7th September 1882,four years later he discovered then still the shortperiodic comet 15P/Findlay.

http://translate.google.com/translat...l%3Den%26lr%3D

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast