Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Interesting Local Facts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    No wonder Scotty was so well known outside the city.
    I don't know if you remember it, but it was a great road to have a pub crawl in. I done it many times, but even then a lot of pubs had gone.

Blog Entries

I missed all the fun unfortunately, most had been knocked down by then. My dad grew up on Scotty Road and would have been familiar with most of them from 1940' on.

Blog Entries

They each had their own distinctive atmosphere. It was great. I was lucky enough to go into them. Folk on the pianos and spoons. Just don't see it now.

Blog Entries

Sad to say, but I don't think I've been in pub that's had a piano playing. Jools Holland tells some great story's about the atmosphere and characters that he used to meet in some of the post-war Bermondsey pubs, when he was startin' out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Sad to say, but I don't think I've been in pub that's had a piano playing. Jools Holland tells some great story's about the atmosphere and characters that he used to meet in some of the post-war Bermondsey pubs, when he was startin' out.

Yes, East End pubs and those south of the river were some great pubs. A lot of them had pianos. Usually if you could hammer out a tune you'd get on the piano. As the night got on people would join in singing. It was a real good atmosphere.

My nan used to play piano and sing in the pubs, mainly the Belmont and the Winslow, the Railway club and the MA on Sheil rd.

Blog Entries

Default Harrod's Liverpool

This almost became a reality. London department store Harrod's had asked local firm of architects Willink & Thicknesse [designers of 'Cunard House' one of the three graces] to create a design for the old St. Peter's site [Now Cross Keys Court] in Church Street. The design did not turn to a commission, and the site was eventually purchased by Woolworth's who moved across the street into their newly designed store in 1923.

Partsky

Quote Originally Posted by lierbag View Post
    Does anyone know the address of the Liverpool lodging house Brendan Behan was arrested at, in 1939, when in the city as part of an IRA bombing campaign?
    Yes, Lierbag, I would like to know where he stayed as well. I bet it was down Scotland Road way as there was a very strong IRA presence there during the 20s, 30s and 40s. It was not just the urban areas of Liverpool that suffered bombs in those days. I live near Maghull and the IRA blew up Green Lane Swing Bridge which is almost opposite the Coach and Horses pub. Even a lot of local people dont know this but it was in response to the British Armys habit of blowing up Bridges or Barns in Ireland to punish local people for harbouring IRA members. The community Centre which stands behind on the Green Lane side of the Bridge was originally a wealthy local farm. The culprits were all charged at the scene. Like Behan, they were really incompetent bombers. Thank God

Blog Entries

I learn that the hotel was in Sheephaven. Sorry that I cannot be of further help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    Yes, Lierbag, I would like to know where he stayed as well. I bet it was down Scotland Road way as there was a very strong IRA presence there during the 20s, 30s and 40s. It was not just the urban areas of Liverpool that suffered bombs in those days. I live near Maghull and the IRA blew up Green Lane Swing Bridge which is almost opposite the Coach and Horses pub. Even a lot of local people dont know this but it was in response to the British Armys habit of blowing up Bridges or Barns in Ireland to punish local people for harbouring IRA members. The community Centre which stands behind on the Green Lane side of the Bridge was originally a wealthy local farm. The culprits were all charged at the scene. Like Behan, they were really incompetent bombers. Thank God
    They've always been incompetant. Not a great change there.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789