Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
Rushworths had/have a workshop on St Ann St opp the cop shop.....I was sent to a piano workshop in Brunswick Rd (about where the top end of Staples carpark is now) for a job as an apprentice piano repair person. After seeing the place and talking to the boss I told him I wasn't intrested and buggered off pretty quick,what a dump.
Very interesting GNASHER, thanks for that. I've found out a few details on Rushworths below. Apparently their main business was making organs, then gradually began supplying pianos [from other makers] and adding their name to them. They also started making their own piano's as well.

Cheers, Daz

Some of Liverpool's piano manufactures and retailers.

Crane and Sons, 217 Scotland Rd, Liverpool [& London] piano manufacturers.

J.B. Kramer & Co, [Liverpool and London].

NEMS ltd [North End Music Stores] musical instrument retailers began life at 62/72 Walton Road as part of Isaac Epstein & Sons furniture dealership, later a dedicated music store opened at Great Charlotte Street under the control of Brian Epstein, and then a second store opened at 12?14 Whitechapel shortly afterwards.

Rushworth's organ-building manufacturers founded in 1828 [in Yorkshire], by William Rushworth. The first premises was at 13 Islington, Liverpool [late 1800's], then moved to Great George Street in the early 20th century, and then finally to St Anne Street in 1972.

Rushworths also had a retail wing, which been in partnership with Van Gruisen until 1894.

Rushworth and Dreaper [merged abt. 1905] - Whitechapel, Liverpool

James Smith & Son, 74 & 76 Lord Street, Liverpool from at least the 1880s to the 1930s

Van Gruisen & Son were at 27 Bold Street, Liverpool from at least 1886 to 1936 [piano agents...]

E.G. Withers & Sons 279 Kensington, Liverpool [piano agents...]