Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Royal Liverpool Infirmary

Thats not actually the royal that Kev mate. The building with the tower was actually purpose built for the University and was the first 'Red brick university'. Easy to confuse though as both this and the Royal were designed by the same architect, Alfred Waterhouse. Same man who designed the seaman's orphanage in Newsham park and the Northwestern hotel on the front of Lime street station (Aswell as Manchester town hall and St Pancras hotel in London. Love the picture of the tower with the cathedral behind. Shame it's not of the Lutyen's cathedral eh. That tower would have fitted in the arch of the entrance porch according to Lutyens.

Blog Entries

Now I've looked at it again I realize its the other side!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Thats not actually the royal that Kev mate. The building with the tower was actually purpose built for the University and was the first 'Red brick university'. Easy to confuse though as both this and the Royal were designed by the same architect, Alfred Waterhouse. Same man who designed the seaman's orphanage in Newsham park and the Northwestern hotel on the front of Lime street station (Aswell as Manchester town hall and St Pancras hotel in London. Love the picture of the tower with the cathedral behind. Shame it's not of the Lutyen's cathedral eh. That tower would have fitted in the arch of the entrance porch according to Lutyens.
    Don't forget the Turner Home, St Edmunds College, all the Prudential Buildings and the Natural History Museum in London, to name a few more.
    And he was born in Aigburth!

If anyone wants to know what's in the clocktower, you can see some photos here. Fortunately for me, during renovation work a while back the tower door was left open, but since then it's been locked up again. Shame, as I'd love to get back now I've got a decent camera...

Blog Entries

Second try

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

How come all of these buildings look so much better now than they did when they were everyday sights?

In 1951 I was an apprentice in the George Holt Physics building at the university. Our building backed onto the Royal Infirmary property and everytime I looked out of the window I must have seen all of this architecture. I even went to the Emergency once with a cut finger.

Of course, our gaze may have been diverted by the fact that we could see into the windows of the Nurses Residence. The young ladies were not very careful about drawing their curtains, so it was fairly common at shift change time to get a good view of the "activities". Now, in my defence, I must add that we were at the ground level so did not spend a lot of time at this. However, the lab boys and technicians at higher levels in the buildings knew the best windows and times for viewing. I'm surprised the building did fall over with the uneven weight as they clustered at the upper rear windows.

One of my chores in those days was to repair the bandsaw blades for the near-by Anatomy department. They were used to cut up cadavers and other assorted body parts, many of which came from the Infirmary. The young lady who did most of the cutting was always trying to get me to watch her at work whenever I returned her blades. We also used to observe her scurrying out of the back door of the Infirmary with brown paper wrapped parcels, which no doubt contained the "bits and pieces" she provided to the medical students.

Fascinating stories! The "activities" sound interesting!!

The mortuary was by the boiler house where the big chimney is, and so that's probably where she would've worked. Unfortunately both the boiler house and mortuary have been stripped out now...

I think that they should just leave it as it is and let people of like mind to us just wander round it and let their imaginations run wild!

Quote Originally Posted by EdF View Post
    We also used to observe her scurrying out of the back door of the Infirmary with brown paper wrapped parcels, which no doubt contained the "bits and pieces" she provided to the medical students.
    Was that the back-door by the boiler house?

chippie

I remember going into the old Royal back in 1977 when I had been mugged. I was suffering from delusions there for three days before they blue lighted me to Walton.

I like this beautiful building and old schools in the same character. I think Liverpool has shot itself in the foot by getting rid of so much of such architecture, that it bleeds like an open wound.

My old school was a classic example of this architecture, Heyworth Street c.p. Pity it has been swallowed up by Everton Park

Quote Originally Posted by EdF View Post
    How come all of these buildings look so much better now than they did when they were everyday sights?
    I think one of the reasons was, as I recall it (ie totally unreliable) that back then in the fifties the buildings were all coloured dark grey to black. At the time I did not realise that many were red underneath, the black being from the smoke of wartime fires during the Christmas and May blitz, years before I was born.

My brother used to work in the labs behind the Royal Infirmary around 1960 feeding, mucking out and slicing up labs rats and preparing microscope slides for the medical students.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyBlack View Post
    I think one of the reasons was, as I recall it (ie totally unreliable) that back then in the fifties the buildings were all coloured dark grey to black. At the time I did not realise that many were red underneath, the black being from the smoke of wartime fires during the Christmas and May blitz, years before I was born.
    The black buildings were caused by everyone burning coal for heat not by WW2.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Fascinating stories! The "activities" sound interesting!!

The mortuary was by the boiler house where the big chimney is, and so that's probably where she would've worked. Unfortunately both the boiler house and mortuary have been stripped out now...
    My dad worked on the boilers at Walton hospital for many years. Sometimes the boilermen helped load stuff into the incinerators, and he said they often handled these parcels and bags of bits & pieces to be burned.
    The remnants of operations and suchlike

Someone has to do it though.

Blog Entries

A HUGE iron clock dial, originally from the tower of the Royal Liverpool Infirmary, sold for almost ?1,000 at auction yesterday . Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Royal Liverpool Infirmary 21.10.2010

I was shown round the Infirmary today, here is a link to my Blog where the photographs are:
    http://artistresearcher.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123