Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St. Michaels Primary School - 1957

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Another one, slightly earlier.

...and names...

I guess all of the kids writing on the previous picture was too good for any of them to become doctors.... This one seems to be completed by a single person, and less cursive.

I also see that the school uniform code was not really being enforced - perhaps because of the recovery from the war? Rationing only finished at around this time IIRC.
    Is this St Michaels in Aigurth?
    Do you know the name of the girl 4th from left on the 1st row, "J. Aspinall"
    i think this may have been my aunty, her name is Jean.
    her older brother Peter also went to the school as did their younger sister, my mother Elizabeth.

Quote Originally Posted by AlisonDaviesBell View Post
    Is this St Michaels in Aigurth?
    Do you know the name of the girl 4th from left on the 1st row, "J. Aspinall"
    i think this may have been my aunty, her name is Jean.
    her older brother Peter also went to the school as did their younger sister, my mother Elizabeth.
    Yes... it is the Aigburth St, Michaels.

My father is the teacher in all of the pictures, and I'm guessing he wrote on the back of the picture with the readable text since he didn't add his own name...

These pictures were in his papers when he passed away last year - he really did enjoy teaching the younger kids, I believe. As his career went on and he changed schools, the kids he taught were all older.

I think his first job was at Granby St. after his 6 month emergency training (post-war shortage of teachers).

Was your aunty born during the war?

Hi
    Thats so nice that he kept these photos all this time and took the time to write the names on them.
    What was your dads name do you know when he started at St Michaels?
    i will ask my mum if she remembers him!

My Uncle was born i think in 1940, either just before or just after the war started....
    My Aunty was born i believe in 1946..... so she would have started there 1950 which is why i think this may be her in the photo, she would have been about 8 or 9 in 1954/55
    My Mum was born in 1948.... so i suppose my mum would have started there in around 1952/53.
    They lived in Lambton Road.

I also went to St Michaels for a year when i was about 7,
    all i remember about the school was the seperate boy/girls playground and the basement swimming pool that was always FREEZING!
    and my teacher, used to be one my dads friends when they where kids at St Cleopas school!
    x

Quote Originally Posted by AlisonDaviesBell View Post
    Hi
    Thats so nice that he kept these photos all this time and took the time to write the names on them.
    What was your dads name do you know when he started at St Michaels?
    i will ask my mum if she remembers him!
    He went by John Alexander at work... I'll see if my mum remembers the dates he was there.

As I said, he liked teaching there to keep the pictures for so long. the only other real stuff we had were some old school records (actual class grades) from Heath Rd. that I thought were too personal (and probably illegal...:^...) to keep.

Several of his old students attended the funeral, even though he had been retired almost 25 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12