Thread: Adelphi hotel.

Blog Entries

Default Adelphi hotel.

I've been reflecting a lot on my visit last week. Our reunion lunch was in a function room and though the food was quite basic (but so was the price) the setting was quite interesting. It's quite an impressive place, especially the lobby up the steps from reception.
    Why isn't it in better condition? It's a picture of faded grandeur and you can see what it once must have been like. Brittania have owned the place for years now and though there's been a lot of refurbishment it doesn't go far enough. It's 10 years since I've stayed there and the room was quite good, but the public spaces leave something to be desired.
    This hotel should be a flagship for the city, yet seems to be one of the cheaper places to stay in the centre. Are all the new builds really that good?

I was speaking to my brother, as he often has to arrange hotels in town for friends and colleagues. He said the biggest problem was the level of service - that the newer places were much better at it. That is inexcusable. Brittania may not have the big bucks to bring the Adelphi back to its former glory, but they could at least deliver the staff training required to improve levels of service.

Personally, I'd far rather stay in an hotel with a bit of character, rather than a new build. Perhaps others would feel the same if the level of service improved?

I remember reading about the crime figures for The Adelphi some years ago. The gist of the article being that the crime at The Adelphi rockets the figures for the city centre. I found an article, but not 'the' article I read, that says in 2006 (not 1996 as I first put), 4 out of 5 Liverpool hotel room burglaries occurred there.

http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n34355364/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMLE View Post
    I remember reading about the crime figures for The Adelphi some years ago. The gist of the article being that the crime at The Adelphi rockets the figures for the city centre. I found an article, but not 'the' article I read, that says in 1996, 4 out of 5 room burglaries occurred there.

http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n34355364/
    Amazing - the sort of thing that kills your business yet shouldn't be too difficult to sort out. Yes, security has a cost, but not as great a cost as that of the business you lose through crime. I really do think Brittania are inept as hoteliers.