Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Fifth Beatle

But i've checked the George Martin wiki and it's spot on.

Anyway enough of Wiki, Yes i have Bill Harry's books and having cross referenced every book I have, I know which to rely on and which not to - which have been binned.

Did you know, the Beatles even botch up on their own lives on their Anthology docufilm - getting vital dates and events wrong
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    But i've checked the George Martin wiki and it's spot on.

Anyway enough of Wiki, Yes i have Bill Harry's books and having cross referenced every book I have, I know which to rely on and which not to - which have been binned.

Did you know, the Beatles even botch up on their own lives on their Anthology docufilm - getting vital dates and events wrong
    I did read that. They can't be bothered. You don't record every date and thing you did in your life do you? Many things just run into one blurr.

The wiki on Martin is just an overview as well. Depending on what you want to know you have to dig deeper. The topic that surfaced here was the sacking of Pete Best. I read that Martin was surprised when Ringo turned up for the recording session. Yet, Harry writes that Mona Best, Pete's mother who was a sort of defacto manager for the band before Epstein, phoned Martin the day after Best was sacked, with Martin denying all responsibility. This was when he found out Best was sacked. Martin wasn't fussed as this was an unknown band that would probably disappear in a few years as many did.

Yet!!!! On the first recording session, Ringo played, not Andy White. Why? Andy White was brought in for the second session. If Martin was to have a sessions drummer irrespective, the norm at the time, why was this unknown new drummer being allowed to play on the first recording session and the sessions man not called in?

Martin said Best drummed slightly out of beat. Martin would have the bass drum and bass guitar in sync as the London based bands did. The US rhythm & blues bands never and Best was doing it the R&B way. Martin had the drums and bass guitar in sync in Love Me Do and it sounds very wooden because of it - one of my least liked Beatles songs and obvious why it was not a big hit. Martin was not with it at the time, not being experienced enough in producing rock n roll bands. Best was ahead of him.

Bill Harry on his Merseybeat web site goes into how the Liverpool merchant seamen had no bearing on records coming in from the USA. Gerry Marsden disagrees with that. I know my cousins brought in records that were not available in the UK at the time - we would all crowd around the radiogram to listen. Harry says people got the records from the "normal channels". Also, what spurred Lennon to be a musician was when he first heard Long Tall Sally by Little Richard. No one had heard of him and the record was brought in by his school friend from Holland - not from the normal channels. They listened to it at school lunch time in his friends house.

This bit by Harry on Liverpool being shafted by London is interesting.
    London Sabotages Liverpool

Brian Jones of the Stones in 1964 said when seeing an unknown local band at the Blue Angle in Liverpool: "They're far better than half the groups coming out of London."

That city screwed just about everyone in every industry.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

3 sessions, the one in June had Pete Best, this is on Anthology 1. The next one has Ringo, then Andy White. But Ringo is used on the lp version resulting in him declaring 'Andy was doing nothing so special that I couldn't do' - no doubt he'd have used these
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    3 sessions, the one in June had Pete Best, this is on Anthology 1. The next one has Ringo, then Andy White. But Ringo is used on the lp version resulting in him declaring 'Andy was doing nothing so special that I couldn't do' - no doubt he'd have used these
    The June session with Best was an audition and Martin was not there when it was recorded. He met them directly after the recordings having listened to the tape. The later two sessions, three months later, were the full recording sessions. The first never had Andy White, which is strange as Martin from the outset said he wanted a sessions man, the prime reason for Best's sacking, and allowed a new unknown drummer, Ringo, to play in expensive studio time. Andy White was not booked and when called for the second session was given a few hours notice to turn up.

The three versions of Love Me Do, with three different drummers are not that different to each other.

Many things just do not fit.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Folks, this may be of interest to you...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...iend-liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by baloffski View Post
    In 1999 Channel four films commissioned a film ?Backbeat? which followed the story of Stuart and Astrid?s love affair, starring Steven Dorff and Cheryl Lee as the star crossed pair.
    I'm sure that the film came out in 1994?

this will be an interesting film when its finally made and comes out

http://www.clickliverpool.com/cultur...-beat-era.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123