Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Blitz

On 20 December 1940, a landmine flattened my grandmothers house in Copperas Hill. My grandad was away in the army at the time. It also demolished several other houses and a school. I don't know the name of the school, but I think it was a RC primary school. The family was re-housed in 38 Crown Street until 1962.
    This is where the internet comes into its own. Years ago, my daughter had to do a project on WW2 and find out if any of her family was affected. I found the number of the German unit in a book, found a list of Luftwaffe units on the internet and saw it was based in Brittany and mostly bombed Liverpool or Bristol. If the weather was bad over one city, it bombed the other. It flew Dornier 17's and when carrying land mines could only manage two because of the weight involved.

Great stuff. You of course know of the civilian memorial in Anfield Cemetery
    it is a mass grave containing over 500 who died in the blitz.

Steve

Partsky

God, when you read this stuff, you realise you have it so good. I am glad I did not live my parents life; bombed out of Silvester Street and living through the war. I am going to count my blessings. Thanks for the reminder to do so

My grandparents were bombed out of a house (in W Derby, I think) and just moved to another one.

Does anyone know how this worked in the middle of the war?
    Did they have insurance?
    Did the insurance pay out for a German bomb?
    Did the govt. help them move with money?
    Was there enough stock of empty houses they could find another one quickly?

I haven't read any stories of how these moves occurred...

...and yes, we should count our blessings...

Not only did the Germans bomb my grandma's house in WW2, they also killed her dad in 1916 in Ypres. My grandad and her brother were at Dunkirk. 1n 1984 when she was 79, she put up a German exchange student for a week and asked my cousin to take his model aeroplanes off the unit in case they caused offence to the German lad. A different generation!

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieW View Post
    Not only did the Germans bomb my grandma's house in WW2, they also killed her dad in 1916 in Ypres. My grandad and her brother were at Dunkirk. 1n 1984 when she was 79, she put up a German exchange student for a week and asked my cousin to take his model aeroplanes off the unit in case they caused offence to the German lad. A different generation!
    So true!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    God, when you read this stuff, you realise you have it so good. I am glad I did not live my parents life; bombed out of Silvester Street and living through the war. I am going to count my blessings. Thanks for the reminder to do so
    Here here. I got told a story recently how my nan asked all the family from nextdoor to get in her house. She had a strange feeling.. Anyway the house got bombed and according to relations my nan saved about 5 kids and two adults. Good eh.

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    My grandparents were bombed out of a house (in W Derby, I think) and just moved to another one.

Does anyone know how this worked in the middle of the war?
    Did they have insurance?
    Did the insurance pay out for a German bomb?
    Did the govt. help them move with money?
    Was there enough stock of empty houses they could find another one quickly?

I haven't read any stories of how these moves occurred...

...and yes, we should count our blessings...
    I've often wondered about these things. I wonder what happened when peoples documents and certificates etc, were lost in fires and bombings ??

My grandparents were bombed out of their house and they moved into another one on the other side of the road. My nan said the house had no glass in some of the windows, and a hole in the roof, but it was at least somewhere to live.

My mam moved across the road as they were bombed out. From Richmond Row to Kilin Street.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I've often wondered about these things. I wonder what happened when peoples documents and certificates etc, were lost in fires and bombings ??

My grandparents were bombed out of their house and they moved into another one on the other side of the road. My nan said the house had no glass in some of the windows, and a hole in the roof, but it was at least somewhere to live.
    We have no photos of my mum before her 11th birthday because most of the family photos were destroyed in the raid. My grandma got replacements for things like birth certificates. As far as I know, the family went to live with other relatives in the area (families weren't as spread out back then) until a house became available, which wasn't too long in coming. I can't imagine what the family thought of the new house as next door and next door but one had been demolished in the bombing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    My mam moved across the road as they were bombed out. From Richmond Row to Kilin Street.
    I remember Richmond Row. Our doctors surgery was there in the 50s and I worked at Clare's in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieW View Post
    We have no photos of my mum before her 11th birthday because most of the family photos were destroyed in the raid. My grandma got replacements for things like birth certificates. As far as I know, the family went to live with other relatives in the area (families weren't as spread out back then) until a house became available, which wasn't too long in coming. I can't imagine what the family thought of the new house as next door and next door but one had been demolished in the bombing.
    Does that mean houses were getting abandoned, or sold cheap?
    Perhaps folks were moving out of the city for safety?

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Does that mean houses were getting abandoned, or sold cheap?
    Perhaps folks were moving out of the city for safety?

I'm not sure. It was one of those big houses which stood on Crown Street and wasn't in the best shape given its age. I suspect it would have been due for demolition, like houses in many older parts of the city, had the war not happened and created a housing shortage. By 1963, everyone had moved out and the section of houses in which it stood was demolished.

Hope you don't mind me adding this Samp.

Summary of all enemy air raids over Liverpool.
    From the book “The Liverpool Firebobbies” Volume two by Frank O’Reilly
    Can I just say, the two books ( I got for Christmas ) are a superb reference in the history of our Fire Brigade.

17/18 August 1940: 12 H.E. (high explosive bombs) on Brunswick, North Coburg and South Queens Docks, damaging railway station, grain silo, water mains. Ship overturned. Slight damage.

19/20 August 1940: 1. B. (incendiary bombs) on Eaton Road district mostly on open ground. Small fires, Robert Davies Nursing Horne and house property. Slight damage.

28/29 August 1940: Many H.E. and LB. dropped. Parish Church, Mossley Hill seriously damaged by H.E. Some houses and a garage destroyed, Kingsmead Drive and St. Anne's Road, Aigburth.

29/30 August 1940: H.E. and 1.B. dropped throughout the city with exception of central area. U.X.R [unexploded bomb] in Hunts Cross area. Gas and water mains damaged. Three Anderson shelters hit, Dovecote Estate.

30/31 August 1940: H.E. and LB. Everton district, Mill Road Hospital, Coburg Dock, H.E. Brodie Avenue, Sefton Street, slight damage.

31/1 August/September 1940: (Three separate raids). Serious damage by H.E. and LB. Customs House set on fire. Shelter in Cleveland Square received direct hit. Two cotton warehouses and contents seriously damaged, Stone Street and Vandries Street.

3/4 September 1940: (Two separate raids). Houses demolished by H.E. in Kensington district. H.E. Lark Lane and Ullet Road area. Incendiary damage Aigburth Vale High School and Lodge Lane Rope Works.

4/5 September 1940: Mainly H. E. raid. Attack directed at Edge Hill Goods Station and Lister Drive Power Station. Damage to surrounding house property but no damage to objectives. Dunlop Rubber works and Tunnel Road Cinema damaged by H.E.

5/6 September 1940: H.E. Claudia Street, Walton. Washington Street and St. James Road badly damaged. Windows of Liverpool Cathedral damaged.

6/7 September 1940: H. E. dropped during daylight. Liver Grease and Chemical Co., Norfolk Street, gutted by fire. FourteenA.R.P. ambulances damaged at Milner Safe Works, Smithdown Lane. Liverpool Cathedral windows and stonework damaged.

10/11 September 1940: H. E. West Derby and Woolton districts. Houses in Speke Road severely damaged. Three U.X.B. in field near Deysbrook Lane AA [anti-aircraft] site.

11/12 September 1940: Oil bomb and H.E. slight damage to a house and telephone wires in Belle Vale Road, Gateacre.

12/13 September 1940: H.E. S.W. Langton Dock buildings damaged. H.E. Wellington Road, two dwelling-houses demolished. Houses in Camatic Road extensively damaged by LB.

14 September 1940: One aircraft over city. H.E. and LB. caused very slight damage to North Docks, Gladstone and Alexandra.

15/16 September 1940: H. E. on Anfield, Fairfield, Walton and Norris Green districts and also on Speke Air Port Field. Palace Ice Rink severely damaged. House in Huntley Road Demolished. Delayed action bomb exploded 12.00, 16-9-40, and killed one R.AE officer and two oother ranks.

16 September 1940: H.E. damage mainly Great Homer Street. LB. fell on Carlton Cinema, Moss Lane, but caused no panic among people present. Auxiliary fireman killed, 95 Great Homer Street.

17 (Day) September 1940: H.E. dropped near Rootes Aircraft Factory Speke. Dwelling-houses damaged.

17 (Night) September 1940: Widespread severe damage to house property and shops. Church Lockerby Road Seriously damaged. Eight auxiliary firemen killed in Green Lane, Old Swan, and one policeman fatally injured in Currie Street. Heaviest casualties to date.

18/19 September 1940: Heavy damage through whole of Liverpool. Walton Prison hit by H.E., trapping several people. Railway lines damaged Brownlow Street and St. Michael's Station, Southwood Road, A.T.M. Coy. work impeded for few hours by U.X.B. Nurses' Home Fazakerley, damaged.

19120 September 1940: Districts most affected were Walton, Anfield and West Derby. A.A. site evacuated due to U.X.B., West Derby. Houses seriously damaged Hilary Road and Rossmore Gardens, West Derby.

21/22 September 1940: (Two separate raids) T.J. Hughes store London Road seriously damaged by H.E. Mersey Underground Railway penetrated and two trains seriously damaged. Large fires, Warehouses Alexandra Dock, Byng Street, and timber yard Rimrose Road. East Lancashire road near Lowerhouse Lane and London Road, Stafford Street to Moss Street temporarily closed.

23/24 September 1940: (Three separate raids) Raid confined mostly to north part of city. Mainly damage to houses and church, Robson Street, and Chapel, Walton Park Cemetery.

24/25 September 1940: (Two separate raids). Serious damage to Cotton Warehouse, Glegg Street, Stanley Tobacco Warehouse, Silcocks Cattle Foodmill, Great Howard Street and Love Lane. Shops in centre of city, Parker Street, Clayton Square and Church Street.

26/27 September 1940: Extensive damage Wapping, Kings, Queens, Coburg and Brunswick Docks. 13 Warehouses and contents seriously damaged. Fire Brigade Regional Scheme put into operation. Admiralty

Store, Canning Place, demolished. Damage to Dock Board and Cunard Buildings by H.E. in Brunswick Street. Tug seriously burnt in Kings Dock.

27/28 September 1940: Houses demolished in Great Homer Street area by H.E. Council School, Banks Road, Garston damaged.

29/30 September 1940: Mainly LB. on Everton and Aigburth districts. Oil cake, flax grain warehouses seriously burnt, Dukes Dock. Two auxiliary firemen killed by falling wall.

7/8 October 1940: H.E. Stanley Road, Great Mersey Street, Lichfield Road, Wavertree and Grantley Road, Wavertree. Damage to house property, and Welsh Chapel, Great Mersey Street, demolished.

10/11 October 1940: (Two separate raids) Everton Valley, Knotty Ash, Mossley Hill, Mill Street areas affected in first raid; Anfield district by second raid. Mainly damage to dwelling-houses, most serious incidents in Manningham Road and Hogarth Road.

11/12 October 1940: (Two separate raids) City and North Docks attacked in first raid. Severe damage South John Street, James Street, Redcross Street, Paradise Street, Hanover Street, South Castle Street. H.E. on Alexandra and Langton Docks, causing serious damage to dock sheds, Harbourmaster's house and four ships. Second raid on Hill Street and Bankhall Street areas. Damage to railway track and Admiralty stores.

13/14 October 1940: H.E. on Gladstone and North Hornby Dock. Tenements Myrtle Gardens, hit by two H.E., killing eleven people and injuring nine. Severe damage to dwelling-houses Gadsby Street.

16 October 1940: LB. on Walton and Everton districts. Surface shelters, Louisa Street, hit, causing about 30 casualties.

17/18 October 1940: West wing Fazakerley Sanatorium demolished, and one patient killed. H.E. damage to dwelling-houses West Derby. U.X.B. yard Of Morrison School.

18 October 1940: RE. damage mainly confined to dwelling-houses Norris Green and southern part of city. St. Clement's Church, Beaumont Street, seriously damaged.

19 October 1940: RE. Tuebrook district and southern portion of city. Dwelling-houses and shops, High Park Street, demolished. St. Silas' Church, St. Silas Street, severely damaged. G.2 Report and Control Centre, Seamen's Orphanage, Orphan Drive, hit by RE. which failed to explode, causing damage.

21 October 1940: RE. dropped near Rootes Aircraft Factory, Speke, causing slight damage to overhead electric wires.

21/22 October 1940: LB. scattered throughout city. H.E. on Dacy Road severely damaging dwelling-houses. Two tramcars seriously damaged Priory Road. H.E. on Aigburth Road damaging service mains.

25/26 October 1940: Three dwelling-houses, Richmond Park, demolished by H.E. Serious damage to Holy Trinity School, Richmond Park. Slight fire Mill Lane Rope Works.

26/27 October 1940: H.E. of heavy calibre fell in Netherfield Road district, a densely populated area, demolishing three combined shops and dwelling-houses and damaging 30 other houses and four public houses, 16 persons trapped, fire greatly impeded rescue work. Majority of those trapped perished. A.R.P. Post demolished, 1 warden killed, 1 seriously injured.

27/28 October 1940: First incident about midnight. House property damaged. Serious damage by fire, shed at N.E. Queens Dock, but soon under control. Three of crew of A.F.S. post at Queens Dock killed. Several H.E. on various parts of dock estate only slight damage.

29/30 October 1940: (Three separate raids). First two warnings passed without incident. 20.40 hours workshop and warehouses, 2 & 4, Thomas Street, demolished by H.E. superficial damage, windows, etc., broken, business premises South Castle Street area. Telephone exchange, South John Street temporarily interrupted service. LB. Bold Street area, railway sidings, Speke, Matchworks, Garston, etc., small fires resulted in some cases, no serious fire incidents.

1/2 November 1940: (Two separate raids). LB. County Road, Great Howard Street, East Lancashire Road districts. Small fires caused slight damage. No incident during second "alert".

4/5 November 1940: (Three separate raids). H.E. Townsend Avenue, Wavertree Playground during first alert, 2 houses seriously damaged, 15 slightly damaged, fractured gas main took fire but fire was extinguished by water from burst water main. No casualties. No incidents during second and third "alerts".

8/9 November 1940: (Six "alerts"). Only incidents occurred during period 19.50-20.00 hours. LB. dropped in Childwall Valley Road area. Only damage at North farm, Wambo Lane, which was slight.

12 November 1940: Oil incendiary on roof of Post Office, 2/4, Wavertree Road, slight damage to roof. Four RE. within radius of half a mile of Edge Hill Railway Goods Station. Three dwelling-houses demolished, several slightly damaged. Balloon barrage not operating owing to high wind and raiders flew at low altitude.

18 November 1940: LB. house Guest Street and warehouse Sefton Street. Slight damage. No casualties. A number of balloons came down in flames, apparently caused by atmospheric conditions. No H.E.

18/19 November 1940: Large number of LB. in Aigburth district, followed by H.E. Slight damage by fire to numerous dwelling-houses, two schools and a church. H.E. demolished the houses 3/5, Wingate Road. Other H.E. caused serious damage to houses and a school in the Aigburth area. Later in the Anfield area three houses were demolished

and numerous houses damaged. The houses 68a, 70a and 70 Teulon Street, were demolished. Many houses in this area damaged.

22/23 November 1940: H.E. in Great George Street district at 22.40 hours. Slight damage to houses, shops and other business premises

28/29 November 1940: Heaviest raid to date. Commenced with LB. followed by H.E. and P.M. [Parachute Mine]. P.M. on Botanic Park and Durning Road, where a basement shelter was hit. It was estimated that 290 people were in the shelter at the time. 166 dead were finally recovered. Damage caused in Rose Place and district to dwelling-houses and a cinema. P.M. in commercial Road. P.M. were also responsible for fires and damage to Spofforth Road Gas Works, and a shed containing sugar in Garston Docks. Considerable damage in Holland Street and Ardleigh Road districts. Allerton, Wavertree and Childwall districts received LB. 30 P.M. dropped in area 8 of which failed to explode.

29/30 November 1940: Raid of short duration, mainly confined to Rathbone Road area. H.E. in use, little damage. LB. caused slight fires.

20/21 December 1940: The attack was opened with LB. followed by H.E. and P.M. Extensive fires broke out and considerable damage caused. Fires caused by LB. in Town Hall, Municipal Buildings and Cunard Offices and at Landing Stage. 9 men were killed in a P.M. incident at Waterloo Dock. A P.M. exploded near Adelphi Hotel, causing considerable damage to surrounding property. North Docks received many hits by H.E.

21/22 December 1940: Large numbers of LB. were used in the opening phase causing many fires, a great number of them serious. Assistance had to be called for by Fire Services to deal with them. Several shelters received hits with resultant casualties. The raid was the longest experienced in Liverpool. Notable incidents were St. George's Hall and Fish Market, Hatton Garden and Electric Station at Highfield Street, Hanover Street (Messrs. Ayrton Saunders hit by H.E.), and severe fire at Messrs. Goodlass Walls (Paint Establishment). Prescot Street Police Station received damage by a P.M. and a bedding factory in the vicinity

was demolished. Other P.M. fell in the vicinity, causing damage to the Royal Infirmary and demolishing dwelling-houses in the area. P.M. caused havoc in "D" and "G" Divisions, the outstanding incident being a fire at a R.N. establishment in Melias' Building, Love Lane. Damage sustained by RE. and LB. in Canada, Gladstone, Brocklebank, Princes, Wapping, King's and Carriers Docks.

22/23 December 1940: H.E. and LB. were used, causing I death at 7/9 Medlock Street. 6 people killed by H.E. at Garage in Ensor Street, and at Huskisson Dock Shed. Serious damage was caused in the latter incident. Another death resulted by RE. on a vessel in Canada Tongue; Langton and Alexandra Docks received slight damage. Messrs Rootes received a hit by H.E. on a shelter, causing 1 death and 3 seriously injured.

23/24 December 1940: H.E. were reported to have fallen in the river opposite the Brunswick Half-tide Dock.

1/2 January 1941: No. 11 Redcross Street, a sack warehouse, was demolished by H.E. and damage caused in Mercer Court. H.E. reported in the river near Brunswick Dock. A suspected P.M. fell in the river outside the Brunswick Dock, causing considerable damage.

3/4 January 1941: Single 'plane dropped 1. B. on Sandforth Road district and Newsham Park allotments. Only damage caused was to an empty stable in Sandforth Road, where a small fire was started.

9/10 January 1941: H.E. on south docks and Dingle oil depot. Serious damage South Herculaneum and slight damage to oil depot. LB. were dropped on the outer districts of the city, but damage caused by these was in the main slight. Number of houses demolished in Virgil Street b . H.E. Slight fires and damage caused by LB. in Everton district. Dutch barn burnt out at Holt Farm, Gateacre. Police Stores, Everton Terrace; roof penetrated by LB. which fell on uniform clothing. Slight damage.

15/16 February 1941: (Three separate raids). No incidents during fir alert. During second, number of LB. dropped in Aigburth Vale area.

Slight damage caused during third period. H.E. and I.B. were dropped on North end of city. G.P.O. garage in Commercial Road demolished. Other damage slight.

12/13 March 1941: (Two separate raids). No incidents during first alert. During the night the city was heavily attacked and 126 fires were dealt with by the Fire Brigade and A.F.S. Serious fires at Head Post Office, Victoria Street, South John Street Telephone Exchange, Municipal Annexe, Dale Street, and numerous other buildings in centre of town. Assistance was rendered by outside fire brigades in view of scale of attack. The entire organisation worked faultlessly.

13/14 March 1941: Attack on City not heavy. H.E. caused extensive damage at S.3 Alexandra Dock Shed. Other H.E. dropped on other parts of city caused only slight damage. Two ships sank in river during afternoon of 13th March, after striking mines.

14/15 March 1941: About 200 I .B. fell in Speke district, causing slight damage by fire to houses and a factory. Later 9 H.E. were dropped near Kirkdale Railway Station. Four fell on the sidings and caused serious damage to the permanent way, railway coaches, etc.

7/8 April 1941: About 20 explosive LB. fell in neighbourhood of Beaconsfield Road, 150 LB. in Garston district and 200 LB. in Menlove Avenue district. A large number of LB. fell in Lister Drive area, some on the electric power station, but damage was slight. Later H.E. fell in Edge Lane area, demolished a church and seriously damaging a convent. No casualties caused by the raid.

15/16 April 1941: Garston and Aigburth districts attacked with LB., some of the explosive type. Fires which resulted were only of a minor nature. Later HE which was dropped demolished the dwelling-houses 42 and 44 Saunby Street, Garston, and 8 persons were killed there. Serious damage to other houses in this neighbourhood. Later RE. dropped in Gt. Homer Street area, causing much damage to houses. Several H.E. in other parts of city did not cause much damage. Several u.x.B. in Garston area.

26/27 April 1941: Most of damage caused by P.M. dropped in area between Townsend Avenue and Muirhead Avenue. Centre of city only slightly affected. LB. fell on several districts causing only slight damage. H.E. dropped in Wayville Close Allerton, causing serious damage to houses. P. M. fell in Ballantyne Road, causing extensive damage, and many casualties. Another fell in Townsend Avenue, causing similar damage. Several U.X.B. [unexploded bomb] and U.X.P.M. [unexploded parachute mine] in Ballantyne Road.

1/2 May 1941: "A" Div. Serious H.E. damage to Cooked Meat Factory, New Bird Street. Timber yard, Kempston Street, shop, 85, London Road, glass roof, Lime Street station.

"B" Div. RE. on Low Hill district caused damage to house property. "C" Div. Serious damage to houses, Grafton Street and shed, West Brunswick Dock.

"D" Div. Houses and shop, Cazneau Street area. "E" Div. Nil.

"F" Div. damage to Railway line near Speke Road Bridge. Houses, Claremont Road, Garmoyle Road, Wellington Road demolished.

"G" Div. Very serious fire at Crawfords' Biscuit Works Binns Road.

2/3 May 1941: Serious fire damage to warehouses and contents in Bridgewater Street, Norfolk Street and Chaloner Street; dock sheds N.E. Queens Dock, Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, Com Exchange, Rice Mill, Upper Pownall Street, Gas Company's works, Duke Street. "A" Div. P.M. South Castle Street - serious damage to shops, two tram cars, and Queen's Dock Gate Passage electric sub-station. Dock Road completely blocked, Overhead Railway collapsed. H.E. Lumber Street, rear Exchange Railway Station. Serious damage to surrounding office and shop property and railway station. P.M. Cornwallis Street, serious damage to dwelling-houses. Strand Street, James Street, large fires and heavy damage. Blast damage to India Buildings, Cunard Building, Tunnel Building.

"B" Div. Dwelling-houses, shops, Upper Huskisson Street, Bedford Street, London Road, Pembroke Place, seriously damaged.

"C" Div. P.M. caused heavy damage to houses, Linnet Lane, Ullet road, Waverley Road, Mannering Road, Coltart Road and Kingsley Road.

H.E. on Brunswick Goods Station. Wapping Overhead Railway Station, Grafton Street and Buckland Street.

"D" Div. St. Brigid's Church and Crypt (air raid shelter) partially demolished.

"E" Div. H.E. on St. Athanasius Church, Fountains Road, and houses, Chancel Street. P.M. Hunslet Street and Donsby Road, railway signal works, Adlam Crescent.

"F" Div. P.M. Bowland Avenue, Maple Grove, Egerton Road, Ministry of Pensions Hospital, Park Avenue, Ibbotsons Lane and Smithdown Road Cemetery; all caused extensive damage. H.E. in Ullet Road, Glenconner Road, Childwall Valley Road, Fern Grove, Childwall Abbey Road, also caused serious damage.

"G" Div. P.M. on Pemberton Road caused extensive damage to houses and Old Swan Police Station suffered from blast. Oil LB. caused damage to automatic Telephone Company factory, Binns Road.

3/4 May 1941: Most devastating raid yet. Gas, water and electric mains seriously affected. Central telephone exchange cut off. "A" Di v. Lewis's and Blacklers' Stores gutted by fire Area bounded by Lord Street, Paradise Street, Canning Place, devastated. Wolstenholme Square; Leyton Paper Mills, Henry Street; Tatler Cinema, Church Street; Salvage Corps, Hatton Garden; Head Post Office; Littlewoods Building, Hanover Street; Government Buildings, Crosshall Street; Museum and Library, WilliamBrownStreet;Magistrates 'Court; CustomHouse; Central Railway Station; India Buildings; Central Telephone Exchange South John Street, all seriously damaged. Large fires caused damage at Princes Dock, Riverside Station, Dukes Dock, Canning Dock, Salthouse Dock, E. Wapping Basin, Stewarts' Warehouse, Gower Street, and S.S. Clan Mc1nness, N. King's No.2 Dock.

"B" Div. P.M. Mill Road Infirmary - many casualties and much damage.

"C" Div. 17 Houses demolished in Alt Street.

"D" Div. Basement shelter, Gildarts Gardens; shelter, Addison Street Schools; shelter, Anthony Street, and basement shelter, Vulcan Street, hit by RE. Rose Hill Police Station damaged.

"E" Div. P.M. in Hermia Street, Stanley Road, Carisbrooke Road, Fountains Road, Newman Street, Freeland Street, Index Street, Margaret

Road, Peter Road and Dallas Grove, caused extensive damage and many casualties. Two wings of H.M. Prison demolished,

Kirkdale Railway station hit. H.E. caused serious damage to houses and shops in Kirkdale and Walton areas. Fires caused serious damage to Kinross Mill, Tillotsons Paper and Printing Works, Walton Parish Church destroyed and Walton Police Station slightly damaged. Docks in "E" Division were seriously damaged by P.M. and RE. One ship S. S. Malakand, loaded with ammunition was set on fire and exploded at about 09.00 hours, 4th May causing wide spread damage in which several barges and a coaster were sunk. Police refreshment room destroyed. "F" Div. Sudley Road, Council School, Rose Lane Council School and Corporation yard Smithdown Road, seriously damaged. "G" Div. Serious fire, Breckside Corporation depot, underground shelter, Queens Drive-Edge Lane Drive, hit. Ammunition train set on fire at Breck Road railway siding, with resultant damage to house property over a wide area. Anfield Road School and Leyfield School suffered extensive damage.

4/5 May 1941: "A" Div. Belgian Seamen's Hostel, Great George Street, hit by H.E.

"B" Div. Houses demolished, Catharine Street, Fairy Street, Mountjoy Street and Magnum Street.

"C" Div. Serious damage to Clinic, Northumberland Street.

"D" Div. St. Silvester's School and Rotunda Theatre destroyed by fire. Gas Works, Athol Street, received direct hit, demolishing one holder; Hadfield's Fertiliser Works badly damaged.

"E" Div. Walton Lane School seriously damaged by P.M. "F" Div. Nil.

"G" Div. Four houses demolished in Bingley Road.

6 May 1941: "A" Div. Serious damage by H.E. to St. Nicholas' Church; Warehouse, Lancelots Hey; Salvation Army Hostel, Park Lane; 52, South Castle Street; Dukes Grain Warehouse, West King's Dock Quay, and South Canning Dock; Chemical Works, Hardy Street, and Park Lane; Great George Street Congregational Church; St. Luke's Church and surrounding property; Gas Office, Duke Street.

"B" Div. Serious damage to No.2 Ward, Royal Infirmary; Nurses'

Home, Mulberry Street; St. Silas' Church, Pembroke Place; T. 1. Hughes, London Road.

"c" Div. Tenements, Northumberland Street; dwelling-houses, Lodge Lane area, and dining-room, Coburg DockAvenue, severely damaged by RE.

"D" Div. Public house, Christian Street, demolished. Emido Flour Mills, Glasgow Street, seriously damaged.

"E"Div. Nil.

"F" Div. Serious damage, dwelling -houses Harvey Street and Smithdown Road.

G" Div. Nil

Fires were extensive, the more serious being in Renshaw Street, Duke Street area. Salt water mains were used to a great extent. Slight fire at Liverpool Cathedral. Whole area around Bold Street and Colquitt Street was considerably involved in fire.

6/7 May 1941: "A" Div. H.E. damage to Parcel Post Office, Hatton Garden; Town Hall (slight). The Landing Stage and Ferry Goods Stage were also damaged. Serious fires occurred at the Custom House and Bent's Brewery, Johnson Street.

"B" Div. H.E. Kensington district demolished several houses. St. Catherine's Church, Abercromby Square was destroyed by fire

"c" Div. Damage sustained at Mill Street Police Station due to LB. Serious fire damage to Wilson's Flour Mills, Mill Street; East Harrington shed, West Harrington Shed, South Coburg Shed; service pipe line at Dingle Jetty. Police hut N.E. Brunswick Dock, demolished by H.E. H.E, on Brunswick Gardens tenements and Cheshire Lines Committee Goods Station.

"D" Div. H.E. on Overhead Railway damaged permanent way. Ships in Bramley Moor Dock seriously damaged and two barges in South Stanley Dock sunk .. Engineering works, Charters Street, gutted by fire.

"E" Div. Nil.

"F" Div. Nil.

"G" Div. Damage caused to a number of dwelling-houses due to faulty A.A. shells which exploded on falling.

7/8 May 1941: Heavy damage throughout city by H.E. and LB. and Oil LB.

"A" Div. Serious damage to Tower Building, Water Street; Morris & Jones' Warehouse, Sir Thomas Street, and damage to service mains by H.E. Tram car damaged by RE., Pier Head. "B" Div. Workshop, Pembroke Place, and Builders yard, Fairclough Lane, gutted by fire.

"C" Div. Nil.

"D" Div. Serious fires, Cooperage, Gildarts Gardens, and stables, Dickson Street. Surface shelters demolished, Beatrice Street and Norris Street. AF.S. pump and Lancashire County Police Mobile Canteen destroyed. Many dwelling-houses, Scotland Road area demolished. Damage widespread throughout the division.

"E" Div. P.M. Sandholme Street. P.M. Teulon Street destroyed dwellingghouses and 3 air-raid shelters. Serious damage throughout the division, churches, schools destroyed. Rolling stock, Bankhall Carriage Sidings destroyed. Stanley Road bridge over railway smashed. Warehouse, Townsend Street, demolished. Serious damage to Sandon Motor Works, Grundy Street. AF.S. Station, Forth Street; Lambeth Road School; Distillery, Juniper Street; Shelter, Townsend Street; B. & A Tobacco Factory, Commercial Road; Carnarvon Road and Rice Lane, Walton Hospital. Serious damage to North Docks, sheds and railway sheds; three ships sunk ..

"F" Div. P.M. on Daffodil Road caused serious damage to dwellingghouses.

"G" Div. Nil

29 May 1941: H.E. was dropped in two districts, causing damage to growing wheat in Croxteth Estate, and damage to an Army Unit nearby. Eight dwelling-houses sustained damage in the Beaumont Street area.

31 May 1941: LB. damage, N. Coburg Dock, N. W. Toxteth Dock, N.E. Brunswick Dock and Coburg Grain Warehouse. RE. damaged an electric main in Stanley Park Avenue and a water-pipe in Pinehurst Avenue. Two dwelling-houses damaged in a previous raid were demolished by H.E.

1 June 1941: LB. caused slight fires on the Gladstone Dock area but no damage. H.E. also fell in this area, causing some damage to the masonry

adjoining the Dock and to Naval Stores atN.W. Gladstone Shed. Damage also sustained at N.3 Alexandra Dock Quay, N.W. Hornby shed by fire. H.E. fell in County Road and Breeze Hill, causing damage to 3 houses.

25 June 1941: Two RE. demolished a hut in a nursery in Macketts Lane, and another on the locomotives in sheds at N.E. Princes Dock, causing considerable damage. Damage also sustained at West Waterloo Dock. LB. in the Rose Hill area caused fires in a church and disused dwelling. An A.A. shell caused damage to aircraft at Linner Road, Speke. No casualties reported.

24 July 1941: A.A. shells caused damage to dwelling-houses in the North end of the city, in County road and Everton districts.

22 October 1941: No incidents by enemy action. Damage was caused by A.A. shells in "A" Division and "F" Division.

1 November 1941: RE. dropped on a cottage in a wood on Croxteth Estate, slight damage, and an A.A. nose cap caused slight damage to 27, Lomond Road.

10 January 1942: H.E. dropped in "c" Division, causing damage to houses in Stanhope Street and Upper Stanhope Street, and demolished Nos. 111/119, Upper Stanhope Street.
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

Thanks for that, hmtmaj, it is very informative. A number of large homes, earlier requisitioned to house The Kings (Liverpool) Regiment became available in time to house families who had lost their homes to the bombing. The homes were in Formby, and the families were mainly from Bootle; the Rileys, O"Dowds, McGoughs, Williams, Burns, Toppings, Grants and so many others, all of whom were my school and playmates.

RonnieW. You had some information on Luftwaffe units used in Merseyside raids. An old pal from Tuebrook, and longtime Canadian resident, has been trying for the longest time to identify which units bombed Liverpool, and off which airfields in occupied Europe they used. If you have anything on that subject, and care to share it, I would be indebted to you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast