Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Garden Festival Site

I can't find the Oriental Gardens when ever I go down there.

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Being in HM forces at the time and in some jungle area in Brunei I missed having the pleasure of the festival.
    Read a lot about it in the papers at the time and 'wished'.

The last I heard about it was when it closed. I seem to remember reading in one news paper that it was closed because they had found Methane Gas in the area from old landfill.

Passed it a few times on our way to the Albert Dock and wished I had seen it in all its glory.

Phredd.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by phredd View Post
    Being in HM forces at the time and in some jungle area in Brunei I missed having the pleasure of the festival.
    Read a lot about it in the papers at the time and 'wished'.

The last I heard about it was when it closed. I seem to remember reading in one news paper that it was closed because they had found Methane Gas in the area from old landfill.

Passed it a few times on our way to the Albert Dock and wished I had seen it in all its glory.

Phredd.
    It was open from May to October as always planned.

They were always aware of the methane gas, and there was some some sort of little building which dealt with it.
    Perhaps somebody else knows exactly what was done.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    It was open from May to October as always planned.

They were always aware of the methane gas, and there was some some sort of little building which dealt with it.
    Perhaps somebody else knows exactly what was done.
    Try:

http://www.matan-international.com/intro.html

Last time I was near there I went through a public pathway on the promenade and It lead to where the dome used to be and that entrance gate was open so I could get out.

Their was direction signs to Pleasure Island and St Michaels on the pathway the railings were broken on the pathway and I was getting lost due to It being my third time to Otterspool.

Do you still have that hairstyle Scouserdave?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Oh yeah and where are the Oriental Garden parts please?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

arr no the dome has gone now it got left up for many years after the park closed this must mean they are starting the houseing development planned for on that site so take you photos quick before the old park is lost forever and btw the park closed because of lack of visitors as it was not in a good area not gas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Oh yeah and where are the Oriental Garden parts please?
    Have a look at this Max, the gardens are somewhere over the hill in the background.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

anyone seen this before?

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    anyone seen this before?

No.

It says "festival gardens".
    Is it a drawing, or have they been built?

Blog Entries

It's a render Phil, an image of the proposed develeopment. I've noticed recently though that the trees around the festival park seem to have been stripped as you can see into the gardens from the rd now.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    It's a render Phil, an image of the proposed develeopment. I've noticed recently though that the trees around the festival park seem to have been stripped as you can see into the gardens from the rd now.
    Thanks, Kev.
    I suppose it'll be another gated development, then.
    Hope that park is going to be public.

I see the estate on the Herculaneum Dock site has 3 fountains in it.
    That's about the same number as the City Centre (if you count Williamson Square as 1).
    Last edited by PhilipG; 03-06-2007 at 12:57 PM.

Blog Entries

After noticing a recent increase in activity on the festival site, I went back for a mooch around:

^^Looks like someones been living in there^^

More here....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

Morning folks. Been asked to pass this on. Hope you can attend on the 15th

"I am involved with this. At the meeting it was decided that a committee would be formed to look at a campaign. Meeting to discuss this Wed 4th April St Michaels Cricket Club 6.30pm. It was decided at the mass meeting (which was very well attended with over 100 people and standing room only) that a public demonstration be held on the prom near the Britannia pub at 2pm Sunday 15th April. It is suggested that we hand out leaflets, petitions, show a display of the wildlife and destruction etc with a `festival' atmosphere and possibly a march along Riverside Drive (pending permission/legality) or tour/inspection of the site.

We want as many people as possible to attend as this needs to be high profile given local elections and planning committee are approaching. This is not just an issue for the local residents but the whole of Liverpool and wider a field as green space in Liverpool is rapidly becoming an urban jungle with mass developers putting bricks on any available green space all trying to buy a piece of capital of culture and reap the rewards, destroying green space and wildlife havens in their process of making profits. The prom is a beauty spot not just for local residents but for visitors from outside Liverpool, lets keep it as natural as possible and enjoy it along with the wildlife, not destroy it by clearing the site and chopping down trees and habitat of nesting birds.

Please support this important campaign, forward this email to anyone who may be interested (as many as possible). Also if anyone has any ideas of how the garden festival can be used and funded let us know i.e. government funding/grants of certain environmental projects? environmental big businesses etc?- this is a big issue as the developers have the benefit of mega financial backing (and at a recent meeting said they were utilising some national funding re developing garden areas, so if they can do it maybe someone else with better ethics can?) . Environmentally friendly suggestions have included:

• Eden type Project -will certainly attract visitors and enhance capital of culture

• Environmental Project involving education where schools can come to do their field work

• Large garden type centre like stapley water gardens attraction, maybe council can grow their own plants for the city green spaces roundabouts etc instead of purchasing them externally- school kids could be involved in this as part of their practical education.

We want people to do as much as they can, write letters to councillors, MP's local media etc.

Thanks for your support, sorry about the long email but this is something I feel passionate about, once its gone its gone and trees are being chopped down fast.

Karen"

Blog Entries

I thought plans were already in place for the site?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast