Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Garden Festival Site

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPathos View Post
    Surprised nobody mentioned it: the Johnathon Meades series on BBC2 had a spot on Regeneration and extensively talked about Liverpool and the GF last night.
    I wish somebody had mentioned it. Would have liked to see it. Looking at the TV listings I can't see any repeat showings scheduled either.

Anyone got it recorded?

Mike

Meade and his programme gets a mention on the peel thread.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Meade and his programme gets a mention on the peel thread.
    Peel thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post
    Peel thread ?
    Urban Development page
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4457
    I've just added my 2p's worth

Thanks Billo

Libertarian

Interesting to see that the police are cracking down on the Otterspool area being misused as a cruising area for Gay men.

As a member of the Gay community myself I welcome this move. This is a misuse of an area that is used by families and other people and it has got to be noted that most of these men down there are married who are too scared to go on the scene due to being 'outed'.

In no way is the police action homophobic it is long overdue. Personally I wouldn't feel very comfortable walking round down there in case anyone thought I was doing something dodgy. Therefore this sort of thing has made the place inaccesible for the law abiding majority.

Garden Festival Plans approved

Plans to regenerate the derelict Garden Festival site in Liverpool have been given the go-ahead by the city council.

Developers Langtree have been given outline permission to build 1,308 flats and 66 houses on the site, which has been largely neglected since the 1990s.

Full planning permission was also granted for the restoration of the Japanese and Chinese Gardens.

Protesters said the site, designed for the 1984 International Garden Festival, should be used as public parkland.

The decision will now be passed to the Department of Communities and Local Government for consideration.

Haydock-based commercial developer Langtree, which bought the site near Otterspool in July 2004, has joined forces with the David McLean Group to restore the area.

It plans to knock down the derelict festival hall to make way for the new development.

It will also cultivate the site's current gardens - including the original Chinese and Japanese gardens - in partnership with the Land Restoration Trust.

When completed, the gardens will be opened to the public, the developers hope, in time for 2008.

Story from BBC website

The full report itself (Quite a large pdf)

or or or maybe even
    Last edited by GingerTheCat; 05-21-2007 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post
    It plans to knock down the derelict festival hall to make way for the new development.

Story from BBC website

or or or maybe even
    Somebody should tell them the hall was removed some time ago.

Looks like the "Save the Trees" group were right after all. Priory Wood is in for some serious thinning.

There is to be extensive tree removal proposed from both the main body of the site. Mitigation by habitat creation and enhancement will be explored although with all mitigation being in suitable areas.

To maximise pedestrian access to the park by sustainable means, it has
    been considered necessary to ensure that the route through Priory Wood
    (see separate section) is as safe as possible. This will have some negative impact on ecology and trees but it is considered essential given the likely increase in footfall through Priory Wood in the interests of pedestrian safety.

The Planning Manager is satisfied that any negative impacts can be
    adequately compensated for at the southern grasslands and through the
    wildlife management plans proposed under the S106 Agreement.

... and the roads in for some changes ...

the applicant has also agreed to the provision of a number of other measures to be introduced adjacent to the development. These are detailed below:

New Signal Controlled Crossing

Located to the west of the Promenade Garden access roundabout between the proposed new site access priority junction near to the Britannia Public House. This will link the site to existing bus stop facilities and will also incorporate cycle facilities.

New Pedestrian Refuge Islands (3no.)

Located on Riverside Drive close to Moel Famau View, Bempton Road (priority junction) and Beech Avenue. These will assist pedestrians in crossing at these locations along Riverside Drive (by allowing the pedestrian to cross a shorter distance in two separate stages) whilst also assisting in reducing vehicular traffic speeds by reducing the available carriageway widths at these localised points.

Existing Signal Crossing Riverside Drive

This will be upgraded to a ‘Toucan’ facility so that both pedestrians and cyclists can use the facility, helping to link the development site to the nearby railway station. This will improve connectivity between the railway station and the development site, including the proposed leisure and recreational facilities.

Blog Entries

Experts will start restoring 67 acres of overgrown parkland in September if the government rubber-stamps Liverpool council’s decision. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Humm. I do hope they make sumthing nice out of it. Sadly when it's a question of private interests VS public interests and promoters are there for the money they can make as opposed to the wellbeing of the city's residents, we often find ourselves with less than what was actually promised.

I think it would be wonderful if the city redevelopped that park for public interests wich is surely what they are trying to do. Sadly they probably don't have the budget for it. But somehow it strikes me as curious a city would choose to let a promoter build sumthing that sounds like condo's or towers on the land in the hopes to see it redevelopped as a public park. Still better than leaving it abandonned I suppose.

I'm hoping for the best still...

I have a question... does anyone know y it was abandonned in the first place seems like it was quite wonderful at one time?
    Last edited by LunaticLu; 06-08-2007 at 02:07 AM.

Steven

Hi,

Marie and I walked past the festival site yesterday on our way to Otterspool Prom and then back to the Britania.
    It used to be a beautiful place but sadly it was founded on a rubbish tip.

The result of which was methane gas was coming up. For a few years they burned this off and as I drove home down Sefton Street, ( particularly during the winters nights) I could see these flames coming from pipes in the ground.

Our city 'Fathers' are planning to restore some of it when it is safe and have also sold part of it for new housing .

I followed ken's "more" link which took me to the Echo's news site and they often give misleading information to support building projects - for the other side of the Garden Festival story and more details visit http://www.ourground.net

Regarding the methane gas, from the several toxic and domestic landfill sites which the Festival site was built on, it is still continually burnt off. You can see the processing plant buildings on Otterspool Promenade - 10 mins walk along the woodland embankment from Brittania Inn. But the chimney is hidden by buildings which can only be seen from the hill at the back.

By all accounts the Festival site ground is contaminated and is unsuitable for heavy vehicles. If development goes ahead the woodland along the prom will be replaced by a half mile stretch of 8-story tower blocks and the public open space along the Prom will be given to the developers for a building site road.

Festival campaigners are questioning the wisdom of the planning consent and are asking people to support a public enquiry.

Wow!
    Thanks for the info steven, and for the link Ourground. That explains alot...dun think would be very safe for them to build homes on it then...awwww well its sad. Not too different than what has happend before in my home town. Once the ground is contaminated it will take decades to clean up sometimes more. They should plant decontaminating plants on the site for a few decades...Some plants have the amazing characteristic of consuming certain polutants, they're more and more used here on old contaminated grounds. Some actually decontaminate grounds sufficiently after a few years or more, but its still all experimental.

On a positive note tho heres to the initiatives and all the peeps trying to make a garden out of it again.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    to all, Lucie
    Last edited by LunaticLu; 06-12-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast