Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Garden Festival Site

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post
    Its a pity that when they 'created' Riverside Gardens they forgot some of the most important things.

1. Pub
    2. Bus Stop
    3. Shop

Of course I'm not being completely serious but there is a point to be made. Its not impossible to walk to these three places but it is "just a bit too far". (I realise different parts of Riverside Gardens experience this to a varying extent). This leads to a car culture which leads to a lack of community because you rarely bump into people. And once you have decided to drive whats the point in going to your local pub?

The Pub and bus stop would be within walking distance if there wasn't that other big Riverside Gardens problem. "The fence mentality" It should be just a short walk down to the river (and pub and bus) but there is a fence there to keep the baddies out. But what you gain in security to lose in making a community.

I've just got back from walking up Dingle Lane to the shop to get the paper. I didn't pass one person in Riverside Gardens. I was passed by loads of cars though. Once into 'Dingle' there were loads of people walking to the shop some even talking to each other!

One last request. Please don't assume everyone is the same. You often see headlines like "Riverside Gardens residents are angry about..." . There are many opinions, we don't all think the same. Most people are in favour of the new development including the official residents association.

Cheers

Mike

Mike
    My mate has to drive from Riverside gardens to The Phoenix or the Bleak House in Cockburn Street. Then we have to take his car keys away from him and put him up for the night.
    The Britania is a good place for a meal on the way to Otterspool but it's not what you'd call 'Your local.'

I've just got back from walking up Dingle Lane to the shop to get the paper. I didn't pass one person in Riverside Gardens. I was passed by loads of cars though. Once into 'Dingle' there were loads of people walking to the shop some even talking to each other!

Mike
    Watch out, Mike. Who knows - you might end up going all native and start talking about the Dingle, rather than Dingle!

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Watch out, Mike. Who knows - you might end up going all native and start talking about the Dingle, rather than Dingle!
    Me feet begin to tingle when I'm walkin' round the Dingle.

Lord have mersey on me.

Billy Marr and 3+1

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    The weird thing is that my mum comes from Dingle. But not "the Dingle". Its this one.

Mike

Just received this from John Coyne the local councillor.

This morning, I went to the Executive Board Meeting to "call-in" the decision to proceed with the promenade land transfer and to release the developer from some guarantees.

The Lib Dems took the irregular step of blocking the "call-in" on the grounds that the decision was too urgent.

The Executive then decided not to allow the promenade land to be used.
    He says more but as it has a heavy political slant I won't publish it here.

The bottom line seems to be , its all on hold and here we go again.

Mike

Just received this from John Coyne the local councillor.

He says more but as it has a heavy political slant I won't publish it here.

The bottom line seems to be , its all on hold and here we go again.

Mike
    John Coyne' s defection from the Libdems to the Green Party in St Michaels is interesting.

Don't be at all surprised if we end up with five more years of dereliction on that site.

On the other hand if the Libdems increase their hold on LCC, and if John isn't relected, who knows what will happen next

The park was fine but I wasn't impressed with those crappy lowrise apartments they had planned for it.This site should be used for a waterpark or an ice rink or something,something everyone can enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Here's a few photos of the Dingle at Lymm in Cheshire. Had not the philistine Liverpool City Council filled in the original Dingle valley in Toxteth with rubbish ( around 1900), perhaps the current residents of the L17 part of Dingle would like the area to be actually called the Dingle.

There is of course another Dingle in Toxteth: the stream of which forms the lake in Princes Park and flows towards the River Mersey via St Michael's in the Hamlet. Hence the valley slope down Aigburth Rd near the Shell Pertrol station

Hello Taffy

I think the Dingle that flowed through St. Michael's-in-the-Hamlet was known as Dickinson's Dingle was it not? That is how I seem to recall it was described in Griffiths' Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

CAMPAIGNERS claimed victory last night after halting plans that would have seen a slice of riverfront promenade in Liverpool used for a luxury homes project. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

MariaC

That's good news Kev but desipie our campaigns it diesn't seem will be able to stop the high rises at the bottom of the ' Bread streets' Near green's Gym. Our lovely views will be lost.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by MariaC View Post
    That's good news Kev but desipie our campaigns it diesn't seem will be able to stop the high rises at the bottom of the ' Bread streets' Near green's Gym. Our lovely views will be lost.
    I'm not going to take sides, but it's interesting that the residents in a new (rather expensive) estate, think they've won their battle, while the residents of the 'Bread' streets think they've lost theirs.

OK, I will take sides.
    It was always understood that the IGF site would end up as mostly housing, with just parts (like the Japanese Garden) made into public parks.
    Most of the trees planted were only supposed to be there for six months, and it's only because the site has been neglected for so many years that they are now 20 odd years old. They must need a good thinning-out anyway.
    It's not even as if the nearby residents are allowed (officially) into the woods.
    They are living on part of the IGF site, and the sooner they realise that it's only right that the original plans are allowed to happen, the sooner it will be that the rest of us will be able to enjoy the Japanese Gardens in the way the Japanese Nation wanted us to.

Default Dickinson's Dingle

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hello Taffy

I think the Dingle that flowed through St. Michael's-in-the-Hamlet was known as Dickinson's Dingle was it not? That is how I seem to recall it was described in Griffiths' Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth.

Chris
    Yes that's right. See also

http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverp.../dickenson.htm

PhilipG

Default The Dingle.

Thanks Taffy and Chris.

The Dingle itself was created by a stream that ran down the site of Park Road across what is now Dingle Lane and through the entrance to the Turner Home, then the field at the back, and the recreation ground, then the allotments.
    It joined the Mersey at Knotts Hole, where the Festival Hall was.

Planning Committee to visit Festival site next Tuesday

Surprised nobody mentioned it: the Johnathon Meades series on BBC2 had a spot on Regeneration and extensively talked about Liverpool and the GF last night.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast