Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Garden Festival Site

Blog Entries

2nd December 2006: Took a trip myself this morning, managed to gain access through another hole in the fence.

Other pics from around the festival site taken today can be found here.
    Last edited by Kev; 12-02-2006 at 02:14 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Fine pictures.

Blog Entries

More images from around the site today (2nd December 2006) - Images of the Dome taken today can be found here:

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    "Behave yourself and act your age young man!", says the old lady.

glad to see something finally happening here!

Default Garden Festival Sundial

I just stumbled across the following which is taken from http://www.sundials.co.uk/tbsig.htm and it made me wonder what happened to the sundial. Anybody know anything about it or even have photos of it. Did it find a home in Merseyside?

Where in England during 1984 did Brookbrae exhibit a large analemmatic dial?

In the garden of the George Wimpey Homes at the Liverpool International Garden Festival the central attraction was a sundial designed by Christopher St J H Daniel. It was laid out on the ground and measured 15ft across. The visitor stood at the appropriate point astride a line marked with the mouths. His shadow (if he had been lucky enough to pick a sunny day!) fell across an ellipse of hour stones to indicate the time. Now that the Festival has closed, negotiations are taking place to try to find a permanent home in Merseyside for this intriguing sundial. There is now no public analemmatic sundial in this country, but they do exist abroad.
    Cheers

Mike

Blog Entries

Default Gardens’ pride to be restored

A NEW custodian was appointed yesterday to look after Liverpool’s International Garden Festival site for the next 150 years. The respected Land Restoration Trust will become stewards of the 56-acre site at Otterspool after signing a deal with developers Langtree McLean.

The traditional Chinese and Japanese gardens – currently derelict and badly vandalised – will be given a facelift and new attractions added to the site.

Langtree and David McLean, who plan to build 1,300 riverside homes on the site, will provide a dowry of £2m that will be invested to help meet running costs over the years.

Two decades of neglect have left the garden site in a pitiful state, the vegetation has been allowed to grow wild since the site closed in the 1980s.

Saplings planted in 1984 when the IGF became the showcase for Liverpool have now matured into young trees, the pathways are in good shape and the man-made hills command stunning views of the river estuary.

Langtree McLean last week submitted the planning application for their planned £250m development.

As part of the project, the 56 acres of gardens will be transformed into a new waterfront park, which, following restoration, will be maintained as a vital green resource for the people of Liverpool. Langtree managing director John Downes said: “We will do the restoration work and then hand the completed gardens to the trust.”

It is likely that experts in oriental gardens will be hired to help rebuild the Chinese and Japanese gardens and the lake that links them.

The aim is to re-open the gardens to the public in the summer of 2008 as Liverpool celebrates being European Capital of Culture.

The Land Restoration Trust was only established in 2004 as a joint enterprise by English Partnerships, the Environment Agency, the Forestry Commission and Groundwork.

David Evans, of the LRT, said: “We restore derelict, neglected or under-used brownfield land and maintain it for people and nature in the form of publicly-accessible green spaces.

“We believe our partnership with Langtree McLean will be a highly successful one, turning the Festival Gardens back into something which the region can be proud of, connecting both the existing and new community.”

IC Liverpool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Wednesday Dec. 6th
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IGF_Gates.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GF_Hall.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	413  

Wow, it's really going!

Blog Entries

Cheers for the update, of all Liverpool's spaces of development, this for me has to be the most interesting.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

..these 'homes' though. Yet more generic lo-density spread?

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    ..these 'homes' though. Yet more generic lo-density spread?
    Exactly. The domes framework was quoted as being in good condition. Could have been a swimming pool or something else. Instead, tear it down to make more space (thus, more money) for even more faceless bloody apartments!!

At around 12:30 they were upto the front curved part...its got to go soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dome.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	470  
    Last edited by marky; 12-08-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the pic, I'm gonna try and get down there again soon . Isn't it weird seeing it like this?! I think I want it back
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Thanks for the pic, I'm gonna try and get down there again soon . Isn't it weird seeing it like this?! I think I want it back

I'll put two bob down and say it'll be all gone by tuesday.

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast