Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yates Street - L8

Default Yates Street - L8

I was very pleased to come across this street today when in Toxteth to photograph the heights on Mill Street...

This is a lovely terrace, and very well kept... This must have been a great place to live in years gone by.

See video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCb1OJGe9aA

After seeing the video, I'd often wondered where this street was and today I fell across it accidentally.
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Yes and Corn st to its rear is a mirror image.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

I think they are the only houses left in the city with those raised pavement/landings. There was lots of them at one time. Some had house below the landings making them a sort of flats. I never figured out why they built them like that, raised up. It just doesn't seem logical to do so as it would have been cheaper putting them at ground level. Maybe something to do with rear entry access.

The church is St. Gabriels. The wrecked school was Beaufort St Board school. I think is it totally demolished now. It was listed but they allowed vandals to wreck the place.

The film These Dangerous Years, with Frankie Vaughan in, was filmed around there in the 1950s. Those two streets are forever having film crews filming around them.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

There were some like that on Walton lane.

My late wife was instrumental in setting up the Housing Co-op in the Corn and Yates Streets when they were purchased from Stansfield for a nominal sum.

John

Partsky

Quote Originally Posted by danensis View Post
    My late wife was instrumental in setting up the Housing Co-op in the Corn and Yates Streets when they were purchased from Stansfield for a nominal sum.

John
    You must be very proud of her achievement, which was to the benefit of the local community and of our collective heritage.

Her part in it was talking to the tenants, and recording and acting on their concerns.

When the housing corporation bought the houses, I had to travel down to London on the train, with a cheque for several million pounds in my pocket, to get the final signature on it. The person who was to sign the cheque was at a posh reception, so they invited me in while he sorted it out. Caviar and smoked salmon - its another world! While I was explaining to some of the other guests why we were wanting to improve the houses, a woman said "Oh, they don't have outside toilets any more - that's just in novels". The ignorance of the chattering classes.

John

Blog Entries

Her part in it was talking to the tenants, and recording and acting on their concerns.

When the housing corporation bought the houses, I had to travel down to London on the train, with a cheque for several million pounds in my pocket, to get the final signature on it. The person who was to sign the cheque was at a posh reception, so they invited me in while he sorted it out. Caviar and smoked salmon - its another world! While I was explaining to some of the other guests why we were wanting to improve the houses, a woman said "Oh, they don't have outside toilets any more - that's just in novels". The ignorance of the chattering classes.

John
    I hope you put the silly ***** in her place.

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross08 View Post
    I was very pleased to come across this street today when in Toxteth to photograph the heights on Mill Street...

This is a lovely terrace, and very well kept... This must have been a great place to live in years gone by.

See video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCb1OJGe9aA

After seeing the video, I'd often wondered where this street was and today I fell across it accidentally.
    That was a cool video..Made you want to jump up and get in the fun.. Nice terraces.. Maybe it flooded during the time they were built? Thats why they built them high..Maybe?

Is there a way to find out why these houses were built on a riased platform? My mum said that the tunnel wasn't built at the time but that doesn't make sense.

Blog Entries

Amazing terrace, they could also sit happily in a Cornish fishing village somewhere?

I love this street and want to see it up close as it's probably quite a rare structure now!

I'm so sad

Default Corn Street

John
    Yes my aunty Doris Patterson lived in Corn Street, but has just gone into ill health , and is in a nursing home Princes House, Mersey Parks , Mill Street. your wife may know her. and Corn Street had the same terrace as Yates Street.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AngelCake View Post
    Is there a way to find out why these houses were built on a raised platform? My mum said that the tunnel wasn't built at the time but that doesn't make sense.
    They may have been raised to allow light into them as maybe a large industrial building was opposite, or planned to be opposite. Corn St had a large flour mill opposite the houses - hence the name. I saw it burn down as a kid, firemen and hoses everywhere. In the Victorian times they mixed industrial and residential buildings. I'm sure only residential house were opposite Yates St.

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    They may have been raised to allow light into them as maybe a large industrial building was opposite, or planned to be opposite. Corn St had a large flour mill opposite the houses - hence the name. I saw it burn down as a kid, firemen and hoses everywhere. In the Victorian times they mixed industrial and residential buildings. I'm sure only residential house were opposite Yates St.
    At first I thought it had something to do with the Mersey but the further the houses are from the sea , the higher the platform so I guess we'll never for sure.
    I don't know how old you are but I can't imagine a mill being there! I guess it could account for the name Mill street
    Maybe it was a street full of mills at one time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast