Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yates Street - L8

Blog Entries

When I first looked at it I thought it was obvious why it was built on a terrace. The ground between Mill Street Yates Street, Corn Street and what was once Beaufort Street is very uneven ground.

Yates Street is on a hill and the idea of the terrace was so that all the houses could be at roughly the same level.

Look at this Googlemap Image and count the number of steps at one end of Yates Street:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...102.09,,0,2.79

I count about 15 steps.

And the other end:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...63.36,,0,11.97

I count about 8 steps.

You can also see that Corn Street (the street next to Yates Street) has a terrace in it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...65.63,,0,11.29

But because the ground naturally rised higher than in Yates Street, the terrace ends half-way along the road.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...18.83,,0,13.92

If they hadn't built the houses here on a terrace the ground floor rear-windows of Corn Street would've looked directly into the upstairs rear-windows of Yates Street.

Blog Entries

Nice work again fortinian.

Great to see the images on Streetview. I noticed the 'bulge', or rise in the middle of Corn Street, and thought I'd check out the Jonathan Bennison map of 1835 on the Leverpoole* website. The map is posted here.

The map shows the Park Street, Mill Street area at the time. The Mill is already established, and is shown as built at the top of a rocky outcrop of land. You were right to mention the 'terrace' or landing half way up Corn Street. This was the ridge of the natural ground, as the ridge tranverses across the street. You can also see the future extension of Beaufort Street [shown on the Google Street view as grassed over].

'Beaufort Street' was 'Bedford Street' in 1835. And the retaining wall shown on the Google Street view, it just rising to meet the level of the higher natural land.

Daz

*[can't post the map here, due to copywrite, so posted the link instead.]

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    When I first looked at it I thought it was obvious why it was built on a terrace. The ground between Mill Street Yates Street, Corn Street and what was once Beaufort Street is very uneven ground.

Yates Street is on a hill and the idea of the terrace was so that all the houses could be at roughly the same level.

Look at this Googlemap Image and count the number of steps at one end of Yates Street:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...102.09,,0,2.79

I count about 15 steps.

And the other end:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...63.36,,0,11.97

I count about 8 steps.

You can also see that Corn Street (the street next to Yates Street) has a terrace in it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...65.63,,0,11.29

But because the ground naturally rised higher than in Yates Street, the terrace ends half-way along the road.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...18.83,,0,13.92

If they hadn't built the houses here on a terrace the ground floor rear-windows of Corn Street would've looked directly into the upstairs rear-windows of Yates Street.
    VERY interesting info....
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Default yate Street

The mill was the main employer around that area for years . It was called Wilsons Mill, my uncle was one of the head millers there, and all of those houses were at one time owned by the mill. A lot of my family where employed by the mill. I have always seen the terraces and never questioned as to why they were built, must have been the lay of the land. I dont suppose that any one remebers the houses further along Mill street just by Joe hughes mission , also the old windmill that used to be there, because I do , my aunty used to live in another terrace houses on Mill street , cant think of their name but they were there believe you me. Just wish I had taken photos of the same.

Aye Wilson King was the big mill, only demolished in the 80s/90s but Mill St itself takes it's name from the mill that had the windmill attached to it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post

Interesting theory..
    Wish there was a way to confirm the answer but I guess it's too late unless papers are found.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AngelCake View Post
    Interesting theory..
    Wish there was a way to confirm the answer but I guess it's too late unless papers are found.
    Why build on a terrace? The answer's on Post #17 above. Click on the link, it'll redirect you to a 1835 map showing the mill just before the streets were laid out, and will explain the reason for the terrace.

Blog Entries

Default Yates Street Terrace.

Yates Street was built on a terrace due to the natural topography of the land about where the mill was established. 'Mill Street' and 'Corn Street' are already laid out. The continuation of Beaufort St. is shown dotted on this illustration. Beaufort St. in 1835 was know as 'Bedford Street'.

Image Source: Jonathan Bennison's 1835 map of Liverpool LRO 352 ENG/2/11567/68
    Last edited by Kev; 01-19-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Why build on a terrace? The answer's on Post #17 above. Click on the link, it'll redirect you to a 1835 map showing the mill just before the streets were laid out, and will explain the reason for the terrace.
    Is there written confirmation anywhere ? I need to see it in words for a specific reason

Blog Entries

Is there written confirmation anywhere ? I need to see it in words for a specific reason
    I think the map offers a better illustration than words? Surely it's now obvious why they had to build a retaining wall along Beaufort Street, and a raised terrace along Yates Street? There was a natural plateau existing there to begin with - the banks of the plateau dropped down on these sides. The site would have been ideally suited for a mill, raised ground, exposed and windy - perfect for a siting a windmill, IMO?

I think the map offers a better illustration than words? It's surely now obvious why they had to build a retaining wall along Beaufort St. and a raised terrace along Yates Street? There was a natural plateau existing there to begin with. An excellent exposed and windy site, perfect for a windmill I'd say?
    So , it is your original theory? I'd like written confirmation as I don't think I can get away with saying "dazza from yoliverpoool" said it is! Although maybe I should just say that and leave it

Blog Entries

So , it is your original theory? I'd like written confirmation as I don't think I can get away with saying "dazza from yoliverpoool" said it is! Although maybe I should just say that and leave it
    Why don't you do a right-click on the image I did in the previous post [#23], save it, and send it to whoever...This is my educated guess as to what they did. It's a practical solution to a site of that nature. It has nothing to do with better views, cleaner air, or mooring boats against the terrace LOL.

Blog Entries

At first I thought it had something to do with the Mersey but the further the houses are from the sea , the higher the platform so I guess we'll never for sure.
    I don't know how old you are but I can't imagine a mill being there! I guess it could account for the name Mill street
    Maybe it was a street full of mills at one time.
    A mill is still there.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

That is a lot earth that has to be got and carted to the site, to level the ground because of a rocky outcrop. They may have used earth in the expansion of the mill next to the streets. Usually they just built the houses up a hill, stepping them as they went up. The road would follow the contour.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Why don't you do a right-click on the image I did in the previous post [#23], save it, and send it to whoever...This is my educated guess as to what they did. It's a practical solution to a site of that nature. It has nothing to do with better views, cleaner air, or mooring boats against the terrace LOL.
    Mooring boats?! I shouldn't laugh but..
    I'll tell 'em dazza said it

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast