Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Yates Street - L8

Quentin_Sharples

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Hi Quentin, that's one possibility I've already considered, but I think the decision to errect the terrace was born out of practicality, in overcoming a difficult site? Have you also considered the 1835 map in post#23?

The natural topography of the land owned by the mill was on considerably higher ground [presumably one of the attractions of it's purchase], and this formed a bank which closely traces the street-line of Yates Street, and Beaufort Street. I don't really favour the Rights of Light rationale, simply because there are only terrace housing, gable-ends opposing Yates Street - not much of an obstacle to natural light I would've thought? Also the church at the end of the road, occupies a corner site with not too much over-shadowing burden over the rest of Yates Street.

I think the terrace was a consequence of two things: 1. the mill owner's possessed the land, and had to develop within the existing boundary. And 2. the land was at a higher elevation to that of the neighborhood.

Of course I agree with all that, but Corn, Bran and Grain Streets were built after the mill was well established. By which time it contained some rather tall buildings.
    Apart from the fact that Corn Street, and the neighbouring Yates Street were built on a ridge, they were still further elevated (to the height of the factory?), and built all at one level, rather than being "stepped".
    "Rights to light" was a main consideration.

I' so glad I asked now! It's coming together

Liverpool Mercury December 11th 1840.
    Herculaneum Pottery, everything to be sold.
    "Now about to be pulled down for the Erection of Docks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Sharples View Post
    Corn, Bran and Grain Streets were built after the mill was well established. By which time it contained some rather tall buildings.
    Apart from the fact that Corn Street, and the neighbouring Yates Street were built on a ridge, they were still further elevated (to the height of the factory?), and built all at one level, rather than being "stepped".
    "Rights to light" was a main consideration.
    You could well be right? "Rights to light" would indeed explain the extra-over 'elevated' terrace in Corn Street, as you pointed out. And looking at Google streetview, the eaves of the terraces do line through with the eaves of the newer factory sited there? Also, the car park appears to be raised over where Bran Street once was. This is supported by the 1906 OS map, as it shows a 'solid' pavement line, for terracing, rather than 'dotted', for normal paving - suggesting a higher elevation.

Blog Entries

Default Herculaneum Pottery, 1796-1840

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Thanks marky, that was very interesting. December 11th 1840, advertised in the Liverpool Mercury. The main auction day on the 15th Dec, with the last items of the catalogue: the 'Horses, Carts & a.' being sold on the 18th December.

Open question: with the last items of sale being the 18th Dec. 1840. I'm assuming it would have taken some time to complete the final accounts, and pay off any outstanding creditors, before dissolving the company fully? And considering that Christmas was the following week - are we looking at 1841, as the date that the company ceased. ie:

Herculaneum Pottery 1796-1841, [or is it '1840', when it ceased manufacturering?]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    A CPO, of the day, no doubt. If the docks were not being expanded then it would probably be a viable industry. They exported a lot to the USA and the city had the finest connections with America. Shipping costs to the USA would be less as the docks were adjacent.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by kdraper42 View Post
    The mill was the main employer around that area for years . It was called Wilsons Mill, my uncle was one of the head millers there, and all of those houses were at one time owned by the mill. A lot of my family where employed by the mill. I have always seen the terraces and never questioned as to why they were built, must have been the lay of the land. I dont suppose that any one remebers the houses further along Mill street just by Joe hughes mission , also the old windmill that used to be there, because I do , my aunty used to live in another terrace houses on Mill street , cant think of their name but they were there believe you me. Just wish I had taken photos of the same.
    Yes thats right
    I can't understand someone coming from that area not knowing that.
    My Dad was born in a house a little further down off cockburn street earl 1900's
    he often talked of Mills around there
    not just a Mill.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345