Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Street Views - Speke

Good pics and tales, keep them coming Ross
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Default Speke Estate

I enjoyed the views of Speke Ross, Thanks!, the area is looking a bit sad now, but I guess age is the culprit! The old Speke Church side of Western Ave is of course the oldest area, built well before the war, on the other side, the only roads that were there in 1945 was Linner Rd and L***** Rd., (my memory has let me down) and they only went from Halewood Rd down to where Central Ave is now. When I left school in 1946 I worked, (for a very short time) as a 'Can Lad' for Unit Construction Co, carpenters, who were buiding the houses there at that time. Prior to that, the area was all fields, ponds, and the Bluebell Woods. and was a great area for kids to play and explore, had a great many happy days there. Oh! and bye the way, there were NO Pubs in Speke then, it was'nt allowed, the original owner of the land (Speke Hall) had decreed it was to be a dry area, for a number of years anyway. Thanks for the photo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    I enjoyed the views of Speke Ross, Thanks!, the area is looking a bit sad now, but I guess age is the culprit! The old Speke Church side of Western Ave is of course the oldest area, built well before the war, on the other side, the only roads that were there in 1945 was Linner Rd and L***** Rd., (my memory has let me down) and they only went from Halewood Rd down to where Central Ave is now. When I left school in 1946 I worked, (for a very short time) as a 'Can Lad' for Unit Construction Co, carpenters, who were buiding the houses there at that time. Prior to that, the area was all fields, ponds, and the Bluebell Woods. and was a great area for kids to play and explore, had a great many happy days there. Oh! and bye the way, there were NO Pubs in Speke then, it was'nt allowed, the original owner of the land (Speke Hall) had decreed it was to be a dry area, for a number of years anyway. Thanks for the photo's.
    Lovel Road

Hi Ross, here's a couple of recent pic's of what was Speke village! The church ,and the schoolhouse,a row of workers cottages,though the local pub,the "Fox" seems to have gone!?

I know the Dove & Olive and the Pegasus have gone and the Flying Saucer has been the Millhouse for some time but surely the Fox hasn't gone has it?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    Thanks... and an interesting reply. The exclusion of pubs in the early days of the estate begin is interesting, just as with the Norris Green estate - where of course the pubs were built on the perimeter.
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ross08 View Post
    Thanks... and an interesting reply. The exclusion of pubs in the early days of the estate begin is interesting, just as with the Norris Green estate - where of course the pubs were built on the perimeter.
    Penny Lane was the same. Between the Rose of Mossley and the Brook House was a lot of streets and no pub. Not one pub was on Allerton Rd. Different now isn't it.

Drink problems were rife in the the working classes in the central areas where there were pubs on every corner. So when they redesigned they attempted to reduce the alcohol temptation. But they never put in any social focal points - the pubs were the traditional focal points.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Speke had

Pubs

The Dove and Olive
    The Orient (Dirty Daves)
    The Noahs Ark
    The Pegasus
    The Fox
    Flying Saucer/Millhouse

Clubs

St Ambrose
    Speke Social Club (The Ponderosa)
    St Christophers
    Dunlops
    Metal Box
    Damwood Hall
    British Legion
    Bramhall social club
    Evans'
    Prefab on Speke Hall Ave - Cant remember the name.
    Fallows 2

We played at Speke Rugby club once too, they had a bar full of ugl...batter...cauli... nice looking gentlemen - and we went down well.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    Speke had

Pubs

The Dove and Olive
    The Orient (Dirty Daves)
    The Noahs Ark
    The Pegasus
    The Fox
    Flying Saucer/Millhouse
    When compared to long roads like Park Rd and Scotland Rd which virtually had a pub on each block, that paled into insignificance. Very few could do Park Rd (from the Flat Iron at St James church to Dingle) or Scotland Rd (inc Byrom St) end to end and have a pint in each pub. I know two guys who did both. I knew a number who did them end to end having a half in each pub.

The people who went to Speke were from areas that pubs were the social focal point.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    We played at Speke Rugby club once too, they had a bar full of ugl...batter...cauli... nice looking gentlemen - and we went down well.
    That was the one i couldnt remeber the name of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I know the Dove & Olive and the Pegasus have gone and the Flying Saucer has been the Millhouse for some time but surely the Fox hasn't gone has it?
    I think your right,I'm mixing the"Peg" and the"Fox" up!

Some of those pubs fell into the hands of notorious families who didnt know the first thing about running pubs. Some of them were real rough houses and still are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    Some of those pubs fell into the hands of notorious families who didnt know the first thing about running pubs. Some of them were real rough houses and still are.
    Funny, cos it would appear that all the estate pubs are remarkably rough. They're not places you would travel to have a drink in one. Why are estate pubs so rough.

When I saw that the Mill House had been called the Flying Saucer, I thought it had been a nickname. Was this the actual name?
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast